+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why only 1200 dps with my gear and frost build?

Why only 1200 dps with my gear and frost build?

I'm new to tanking so maybe this is normal, but in 5 man heroics im only doing 1200 dps group buffed.
    I think I've got alright gear so far but the low dps has me wondering, is it my build or what?
    The World of Warcraft Armory
    I thought i went with a fairly 'safe' build for a new tank, but i'd appreciate any suggestions
    Thanx

Spam runestrike more, maybe? With my current spec and gear (gear is VERY close to yours, dps-wise, with same weapon, but I'm unholy speced), I usually do about 1500-1700 on straight tank and spanks in heroics.

Vicious strikes is worthless for a frost tank, move that into 2/2 epidemic, which will allow you an extra obliteration or howling blast every 20 second rotation. That should help a little, but aside from that, I don't know what to tell you =/ What's your usual rotation?

Sorry i forgot to put rotation
    I've tried both IT-PS-BS-BS-OB-FS
    and IT-PS-BS-BS-HB-FS
    The reason i passed epidemic is to keep with a short rotation, so i just thru those 2 points anywhere
    Thanx for the advise

yer dps could be better iff....

get rid of vicious strikes. And icy talons. Put your points into affective things like blood of the north, acclimation, endless winter, I'm pulling 2k and find the points are more affective in blood of the north, your getting free runes everytime you cd blood strike and pest, and you'll be dropping pest a lot. In addition, with the extra AOE rotations you can now do, take your points out of unholy altogether. Look my charactor up on armor and you'll get a good idea

I went from barely doing 1200 to easily doing 2500. Tps went form topping 3 and sometimes 4 to hitting 6 sometimes even 8.

I've tried both IT-PS-BS-BS-OB-FS
    and IT-PS-BS-BS-HB-FS
    With the two points in epidemic you can do

IT-PS-BS-BS-HB/OB-Runic dump (FSx1-2)
    then continue with
    OB-HB/OB-OB-Runic dump
    then start over again at the beginning.

At least... I THINK that's the frost tanking rotation >_<

I've been thinking about giving frost a try, especially now that I don't have to worry about soloing old raids for money (they super-nerfed the gold output, dailies/gathering profs ftw), so maybe I'll do that and let you know how I do dps-wise =) Unholy might just plain pump out more damage at our gear levels (keep in mind my ghoul is almost always dead, and I hardly use Gargoyle anymore, so those are almost non-factors, more of why I wanted to respec, and figured I'd try a different tree while I'm at it).

Don't forget that for death rune rotations, you're going to want to pick up epidemic out of the unholy tree. You want to make sure that your diseases will last all the way through the second part of your rotation

Well an update, i changed to unholy cuz i have no patience lol.
    I basically copied this spec with 1 change
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=000000000000
    I took the 2 points out of dirge and put them in two -handed weapon specialization.
    So far i love this build, dps went to 1520 right away and survivabiliy seems good.
    Anyways thought i'd share

Hmm, my dps didn't change a whole lot switching over to frost. It took a bit of a drop, but not much. I could just be bad at the rotation. I've been doing

BT > IT > HB > OB > BS > FS dump
    HB > OB > IT > BS > FS dump

I'm not sure I like it though. I'll probably stick with it for a week or so, simply because I don't care to spend another 100g or whatever going back to Unholy, but I think I definitely preferred unholy >_<

+ Reply to Thread