+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My goodness, leveling a warrior is a pain!

I never understood why you should kill mobs 1 or 2 lvls lower then you, when an arms or prot can kill mobs 1 or 2 lvls higher then yourself with no real down time.
    3 or 4 lvls higher at times too, if careful.

I never did a quest my level or lower, only my lvl and higher...unless I needed something at the end.
    this is how you lvl up fast.

Warpdrive

Quote Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post
    I never understood why you should kill mobs 1 or 2 lvls lower then you, when an arms or prot can kill mobs 1 or 2 lvls higher then yourself with no real down time.
    3 or 4 lvls higher at times too, if careful.

I never did a quest my level or lower, only my lvl and higher...unless I needed something at the end.
    this is how you lvl up fast.

Warpdrive
    It's not a bad idea to be "over the curve", so to speak -- essentially being a level higher than normal. It eases things up a LOT.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

The rate at which you can clean out lower level mobs (making quests faster, which are a HUGE chunk of your exp gain), makes taking out mobs a level or two below you well worth the slight loss in exp per kill. Your exp per hour will be boosted considerably.

I've found that as well. XP loss isn't greatly effected for doing green quests (or orange/red

I've noticed that green quests give almost as much xp as yellow (or orange, even) quests. And they are ridiculously easy.

I usually try to do leveling in green areas. It's easier, less stressful and I can clear out an area in about two-three hours without problem. Not to mention you can do group quests solo, which is always nice.

Quote Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post
    as for pvp or mobs...5 lvls above you is too much. miss, dodge, perrry, is what you'll see

"Could I BE any harder to hit?"

Try to create a trial account and dual box something like a hunter with your warrior until the warrior hits 20, then dump the trial account. Sounds like you have already sunk some money and time into this guy, so I'd just say quest and grind mobs 1-2 levels below you on the way to and from your quest spots.

I disagree with leveling protection while in green gear pre-60. At 20 you can dual wield, you should go fury until level 40, then switch to arms.

Warriors are about gear, gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear. It really doesn't matter what spec you play, if your gear sucks you're not going to be on the winning side of anything challenging. So if you have some buddies who can help with instances great, if not try to get groups, and if you can't do that just grind mobs about 1-2 levels below you.

Good luck!
    Last edited by kolben; 01-27-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Get to 15 get the "glyph of revenge" and make the following macro.

/revenge
    /heroic strike

Always stay in defensive stance except to charge for initial stun and rage.

for spec

5/5 shield specialization - more blocks = more revenge procs
    5/5 anticipation - more dodges = more revenge procs
    2/2 shield mastery - takes 40 seconds off of shield block = more shield block up time = more blocks = more revenge procs
    2/2 improved revenge = more revenge damage

after that do what you want but might as well stick to goin prot so you can get shockwave, S&B and Damage shield sooner.

Everything listed above revolves around one thing "REVENGE" "REVENGE" "REVENGE". Revenge is the new Heroic strike it hits hard and the talents you put in to make it proc more increase survivability anyway.

With the patch before WotLK "Revenge" got a huge boost and with that macro in place you get a free heroic strike everytime you revenge if yo uhave the glyph.

My warrior is currently level 31 and is flying through levels when heroic strike and revenge both crit the mob has like 10% life left at even levels I have soloed mobs that are 3 levels higher and elite most of the quest mobs listed as group if they are within 2 levels of me I can take them. Normal mobs that are even con or 2 level higher can easily take 3-4 at a time np.

Once you hit 15 and get revenge get shield block get the glyph and dont look back.

When you hit 30 and the second major glyph slot opens up get the glyph of heroic strike and you'll be overflowing with rage mowing mobs down like a john deer mowing grass. Prot > Fury post WotLK.
    Last edited by Kizrak; 01-27-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    The rate at which you can clean out lower level mobs (making quests faster, which are a HUGE chunk of your exp gain), makes taking out mobs a level or two below you well worth the slight loss in exp per kill. Your exp per hour will be boosted considerably.
    just lvled a druid to 15 and tested this out.

the differeance in "kill time" between a mob 1 or 2 lvls below you, and ones that are 1 or 2 lvls above you is about 5 added seconds per mob...
    so if you need 10 "bear paws" and need to kill 20 mobs to get them, then the whole extra time you'll need is about 1 minute extra.

yes, you'll still need to be more carfull. yes you'll get more adds from higher lvl mobs. yes, you'll have to pull more singles, instead of just charging in and killing everything.

let's also remember that no matter what quest you are doing, you are going to need 1 min to get there, or a few mins to find the mobs.
    by the time you find them, if they are higher lvl then you by 1 or 2 lvls then you'll need only about 1 extra min to kill them all.
    (I would not go into saying your kill per hour is suffering at all, not when the differance in total time from start to finish is only around 1 min extra.)
    you might need one extra bandage/food/health pot when you are in the 40s-70s. so down time is slightly increased, but not by much at all.

there are only 2 true reasons for going after mobs that are lower lvl then you:
    1) you are grinding on them for money/drops/skins.
    2) you are fury speced and you are sick of seeing your off hand miss alot.

to get back to the OP:
    I'll stick by what I said earlyer.
    put points into cruilty, then heroic strike, then imp thunderclap.

from there you have a choice.
    keep the above talens and go deep arms as the gear and rewards are all over the place for you.
    if you're able to goto alot of instances, then try prot....but your dps and open world pvp will suffer at this stage of the game.
    I would never go fury as it is just too gimp, and the number 1 reason why many here will only farm green quests. as Arms, yellow quests will be as easy as green for fury warriors.

regardless of spec, once you have revenge glyphed, there is no reason to not be in defence stance for all soloing, pvp, tanking. the damage from it is almost as good as a shield slam.
    the only thing that would stop me from doing solo quests in def stance is when in arms you have MS talented. then just stay in battle stance for solo mobs that are easy for you, S&B/def stance mobs 3 lvls higher then you (or if you feel you'll get alot of adds or have problems).

once at 60ish, try prot spec next. stay in def stance always, and find out what it's like to be a "stun lock" tank when soloing mobs/quests.

while I lvled up my warrior from 60-69 as arms pre wrath, I could see how prot would now be a great spec to do the same. after all, as prot spec, I lvled from 70-80 in half the total real time it took from 60-70...so there is something for the new prot talents and skills.

Here's my 3.0 warrior leveling advice:

1. Do full arms. Once you've gotten all of the crucial talent points (reached Unreleting Assault 2/2), put 5 points in cruelty, and then finish the Arms tree.

2. Get the Whirlwind axe ASAP. Get someone to help you. Pay someone to help you if you have to. But if you can get the WW axe at, say, 33 or 35, you will keep that until the early 50s, at which point you will replace it with the Ice Barbed Spear from the AV quest, and then again at 58 or so with outlands gear.

At super low levels, like pre-25 or so, revenging is the best way to do damage. But once you've gotten the WW axe (early 30s) and finished Taste For Blood 3/3 (level 27), you're golden. From 35 (when I got WW axe) through until when I respecced prot (78), Arms allowed me to pull 2 mobs consistently, and up to 5 or more when I had to.

Even now, when I'm 80, but finishing up the quests I never did for gold, I wish I were Arms when soloing. The only time Prot is better is against super hard mobs, elites and etc. Every other instance, arms is better for soloing and questing--sweeping strikes every 30s makes every other pull a double pull; bladestorm every 90 seconds makes every four or five pulls a 4+ pull, and retaliation every 5 min gives you the ability every 5 minutes to pull everything in sight.

There is no comparison, really.

I levelled a warrior as my main, BACK WHEN IT WAS HARD.

Yeah, the fact is you just can't take on something four levels above you. You'll be missing them while they're chewing on your face, and even if you can hit them you won't be doing nearly the damage you'd expect. Besides, it's not just 4 levels above you. You're only level 15, so it's actually close to 33% over you. That would be an equivalent to the difference between a level 80 and a 65 or so.

Yes, I know it doesn't work that way, I'm just making the point that at lower levels the gap is bigger.

I'm not going to put in my 2 cents on preferred spec. I levelled fury, but prot at the time was useless for dps, and it's been improved significantly since. I suspect that as long as you maximise whatever spec you use you will be fine.

Just be aware that you can't bite off more than you can chew. Multiple mobs, mobs much above your level... you're a dead man. Slow and steady is the way. It's hard, but that's life. Having levelled a mage since my warrior it's funny how different the experience is.

Personally, I have levelled a priest, hunter, shaman, warrior and paladin (in the particular order) priest at 60, shaman, hunter and paladin at 70 and warrior to 80.

The order from easiest to hardest :
    Paladin, hunter, shaman, priest and warrior.

Warrrior takes more skill than the other classes on ALL levels. It does not get easier at higher levels, but by then you are already experienced and skilled.

After raiding pretbc with a hunter, one tend to develop a better vision of your surroundings as I used to play at a time when hunters were the designated pullers and leaders.
    This is especially important for warriors when you are pulliing mobs to grind quests and exp.

You will quickly learn that no matter what spec you are, not all mobs can be pulled and aoed down like you do with a paladin. You learn to wait for mobs to pat away from another before you hit it with a gun. One miscalculated charge and get ready to run back to a heft repair bill. There is no bubble, and most situations it is not possible to run away safely without pulling even more ... (especially true in hinterlands with the bloody stealthed wolves) You also learn to find somewhere just to die safely when one pull brings unexpected 3 guests. When you rez at 1/2 health, you cannot LoH to full.

A warrior almost never engage a mob > 3 levels above to grind effectively. It takes a lot longer as a war has no magic damage to bypass all the pains of meleeing. Warriors dont jump on a rare elite mob same or higher level when levelling. You will almost always die.

This changes once you are grinding in wrath as prot. You can take on bigger mobs with better expertise and hit rating gears available at the level slot. You also take much lesser dmg since you are probably uncrittable. Throw in warbringer and suddenly you are flying from mob to mob, trying to burn them down in 40seconds and yet not too fast either to avoid rage decay.

With enraged regen, pots and bandaids handy, I vendored all my food soon enough. (of course being undead helps heaps too...)

Most importantly, you learn. And it is with those info that you use to lead groups successfully.

Wrath is different. I solo'd most of my group quests towards 80.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

I leveled to 80 in a very short time. The early levels are tougher and you don't have many abilites besides heroic strike. You will always be short on rage as well. If you can stick through this it gets better.

My advice, for fastest purposes,

Do not level as prot. The survivability is nice but it is much slower to level and progress. You will want to level as fury till mid 40s. Around level 45 I switched to arms spec with the recent changes in patch 3.0. At this stage in the game, arms spec was the winner.

I was doing more damage and killing much faster. I could kill 3 or mobs at one time. Unrelenting assault reduces your cooldown on overpower by 2 seconds. And with the overpower glyph this is your main weapon, alongside rend and taste for blood. T-clap, demo shout, tab-rend each mob and spam your overpower+cleaves. With 3 mobs hitting you and anger management talent, you should have pleanty of rage. This strat works best on yellow con mobs, for survivability.

Later on with sudden death and more importantly, bladestorm, I was doing 4-5 mobs at a time. Single mob fights were over in about 7 seconds. Arms simply had much better burst damage at these levels and was superior in terms of fastest leveling. I rode the arms tree up to 80 and began heroics. When I got the gear and hit rating, I went fury. Only at this point was TG beginning to outdps arms. I would be curious to see how the sudden death nerf affected this however I still believe arms would be superior to fury for leveling at this stage.

Prot isn't worth it until later, the lower tiers are nothing special for leveling. Get 5/5 Cruelty first then pick Arms or Fury. You can respec later.

Prot is worth it when you can get Warbringer and Sword & Board. Then it's FUN.

And what made you think picking a fight with a mob 4-5 levels above you is ever a good idea, even if you have uber gear?

*giggle*

Quote Originally Posted by clavarnway View Post
    And what made you think picking a fight with a mob 4-5 levels above you is ever a good idea, even if you have uber gear?
    He played a paladin

Herb/Alch + Arms = had no trouble past 30. Some things you can't do, some things you can.

+ Reply to Thread