+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My goodness, leveling a warrior is a pain!

My goodness, leveling a warrior is a pain!

So, seriously. This is tough! I've played a paladin up and now I'm working on a warrior. I've tried several times before but it always ends in frustration and a delete, usually followed by a vow to never again roll this class.

Today I'm running through Loch Modan as a mighty level 14 warrior. I have the best gear the AH can provide me with a stamina enchant on my shield and Crusader on my axe! I have 5 points in shield specialization and my level 15 gear in my bag ready to equip upon ding.

I get ambushed by a level 19 dark iron dwarf over near the ogres. I was just minding my own business trying to find Bingles (I actually know where he is, but I'm an RPer). I make my way down the eastern shore of the Loch and *BAM* dead.

I rez and prepare to take on this new challenger to my throne and *BAM* dead.

The next time I get pissed and buff as much as possible. I've got a strength potion, an armor potion, 4 armor kits, healing potions, bandages, sharpening stone, stoneform, everything I can possibly think of!

*BAM* I'm dead.

WTF? Seriously! I know he's 5 levels above me but I have Crusader enchant! I dropped 100g on that crap to make sure I wouldn't die and no love. All I can think about is if this was a paladin I probably could have taken him down in the crappy vendor Chain Mail with a quest axe. This is so freaking frustrating.

How did you all do it? I'm seriously impressed with your tenacity at that goal. I mean, I've even thought about grinding on mobs all the way to 80 to avoid dying any time a "tough" mob comes my way.

Wow. If you have any motivation or advice, I'll take anything you've got. At this rate my son (2 months old right now) will level a warrior to 80 (or 100, or whatever's max level then) before I do!
    "Feel the fury of the mountain!" ~ King Magni Bronzebeard, Lord of Ironforge

The keys to warrior leveling:
    1. Only fight one mob at a time
    2. Learn to use that gun effectively
    3. If it's remotely challenging, don't solo it

At low levels especially, you don't really have powerful abilities.

Levels matter. Sure, you've got expensive enchants and great gear -- but you can't expect everything to just lie down and die before you.

Don't fight mobs more than 3 levels above yours. At 4+, they start crushing.

Healing classes can play defensively and solo a lot of stuff. Kiting classes can do the same. Warriors can't heal and can't kite. They solo stuff by essentially going turtle... with spikes.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

That's the thing with warriors - you think you should be able to handle anything that comes your way. But you can easily get over your head. For me, it was the other way around. I never had any trouble leveling a warrior. But a paladin? Boring. I could never get into the class. I got one up to 64 and just couldn't take him any farther. I tried prot and ret, and just couldn't get behind it.

Your missing an amazing amount of abilities that DEFINE the warrior class, and my suggestion also is level as arms... you kill stuff mucho faster.
    November 23, 2004 8:27:03 AM - Glomgore 10+ Years of tanking? Priceless

do fury instead imo...kill things faster and keep moving. prot is great now but only until later levels. otherwise your putting points into talents that arent really doin anything for you.

I found the teens to be pretty frustrating as well. Though honestly, S&B with revenge is the way to go. Helps your survivability a huge amount, and revenge hits INSANELY hard relative to everything else you can do at that level.

I went 20-30 as DW, it wasn't too bad. Then I went back to prot and while I keep messing around with the other two specs, I keep coming back to prot. I do ~140 dps while questing at level 44 (I don't remember what my hunter was doing at that level, but at 48 he was doing ~170), and leveling as prot is easymode. Easier than it was leveling my rogue. Perhaps even easier than it was levelig my warlock (just not as fast, is all).

Warriors in WotLK are easy as hell to level. Lots of classes struggle with the teens. My rogue for example would sometimes lose to same level mobs in that place south of Silvermoon (Ghostlands?) at level 16, just 1v1, it was frustratingly pathetic. Level 20 and poisons helped alot. The downtime in those earlier levels was even crazier for my rogue than my warrior though.

Stick with it! You'll be having fun in no time. I actually went back to my hunter after realizing NO class is really fun at level 23 (he was my second toon and I didn't know any better), now he's level 51 and I'm loving him.

At 14. Go into the defense stance. Revenge is amazing, plus all of the buffs/debuffs you get. Just remember rend, debuff the guy, and heroic strike if things are going slow.

Regardless of level, spec, and gear, leveling a warrior is harder than pretty much every other class. It's true. Ironically, the most pain-free way of leveling a warrior now is probably Protection while decently geared, going from like a hump from 60-70 or 70-80 (and thus, probably already having gear). Least damage taken, lots of burst and control.

The low levels though you basically just want to go fury so you have at least some way to reduce the ass kicking you'll take, via bloodthirst.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

Even with bloodthirst your downtime is WAY huger with fury than prot, and your dps, while higher, isn't higher enough to be worth it. The healing doesn't make up for taking a relative 20% more damage and lack of block. Prot is also godly for handling adds, and I don't care how good a player you are, you're GOING to die to adds as arms or fury from time to time. Prot not so much.

Shield slam hits harder than both whirlwind and bloodthirst for considerably less rage cost. That's before you pop shield block. Throw in revenge (glyph it and heroic strike + incite for happy rage times), a currently no-CD activating conc blow, and it becomes more and more difficult to see why you'd want to spec fury for leveling. Arms would probably be better, and even then, I'd go with prot.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    Even with bloodthirst your downtime is WAY huger with fury than prot, and your dps, while higher, isn't higher enough to be worth it. The healing doesn't make up for taking a relative 20% more damage and lack of block. Prot is also godly for handling adds, and I don't care how good a player you are, you're GOING to die to adds as arms or fury from time to time. Prot not so much.

Shield slam hits harder than both whirlwind and bloodthirst for considerably less rage cost. That's before you pop shield block. Throw in revenge (glyph it and heroic strike + incite for happy rage times), a currently no-CD activating conc blow, and it becomes more and more difficult to see why you'd want to spec fury for leveling. Arms would probably be better, and even then, I'd go with prot.
    I specifically said Prot is better at higher levels. At lower levels, prot offers you nothing, particularly when you have no gear remotely useful for it.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

No, I'm talking as soon as you get Bloodthirst. My warrior is level 44, and all of his leveling past 13 has been in WotLK. His respec cost has already been 50g for quite some time because I keep messing with what works best.

It sure as hell is NOT fury. Not in Wrath.

Level 14-20 S&B is far superior, spec doesn't matter (revenge is too good at these levels), 20-30 I did as DW, but prot would probably be just as good. From 30-40 I sure had an easier time with prot and lost minimal killspeed. At 40 it's no contest, prot stomps all over fury with the amazingness that is shieldbash. If you pick up the whirlwind axe and go arms, that might net some amazing results (I was too lazy to farm the mats and there were no good 2H twink weps on AH, so I stayed prot), but fury is trash. My average killspeed I think was actually lower as Fury due to RNG hate rage-starving me on miss-strings so that I can't access the absurdly costed WW and BT. Keeping SS and Rev on CD is much easier than keeping BT and WW on CD. And of course such miss-strings also affected my downtime greatly. Fury just isn't the best leveling spec anymore.

At lower levels, prot offers you nothing
    No matter what spec you are, for a long time thunderclap is your best attack, and the prot tree boosts it considerably in the first two tiers. Whereas fury's 2nd tier is really blah. Prot people, PROT! Seriously. This isn't theorycraft, this is experience. I've actually been leveling a warrior in Wrath, not just reading about it.

instead of dishing out hundreds of gold for low lvl gear and enchants that will be worthless after a few hours of questing you should have just used that gold to buy runs through Dead Mines and Stockades until you are lvl 25 or so...makes thing much easier and faster and you can pick up the gear that drops and stay decently geared through out

i didnt do this for my warrior but i have done it with all of my alts and it makes life so much easier

Leveling a warrior (and a paladin, and a druid, and couple more classes) is terribly boring and frustrating until level 40+. Then, things start to be fun.
    Worlde - Prot Paladin
    Darkworldie - Tank DW Frost DK
    Uord - Prot Warrior
    Huordie - Feral / Resto Druid

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    No matter what spec you are, for a long time thunderclap is your best attack, and the prot tree boosts it considerably in the first two tiers. Whereas fury's 2nd tier is really blah. Prot people, PROT! Seriously. This isn't theorycraft, this is experience. I've actually been leveling a warrior in Wrath, not just reading about it.
    Experience isn't necessarily more accurate than theorycrafting.

Especially since you keep respeccing. For an accurate portrayal of what is faster, you'd have to level three warriors more or less simultaneously, with one being Arms, one being Fury, and one being Protection.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Prot is the 'safe' way of leveling. It can be pretty slow at times, however (especially before Wrath).

But it does mean you can do alot of 2 and 3 man group quests solo. Which is certainly a big plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Xav View Post
    I specifically said Prot is better at higher levels. At lower levels, prot offers you nothing, particularly when you have no gear remotely useful for it.
    At level 14 Defense stance becomes infinitely superior to all other stances. That is because of revenge. However, the actual spec doesn't matter. I'm sticking with Ciderhelm's 'Of Steel' guide.

Always fight things below your level. Seriously. It will make your life a lot easier.
    >8< Spider Pride!
    Dr D. L. Kazzak wins a Nobel Prize for his discovery that indeed, all mortals will perish.

this is my thoughts....

at this stage of the game, you have two choices. go arms or prot.

S&B/Def stance, if you feel like taking on more then 1 mob, and if you want to fight mobs 2-4 lvls above you. for solo mobs, even 3 lvls above you, a big 2 hander is in order.

I lvled arms just before TBC, and I could tank anything as arms upto lvl69...then went Prot and never looked back.
    today, prot seems easyer to lvl at such a young stage. but I still would go Arms so you can pvp, solo and tank quite well. would never go fury. just not worth it in my eyes.

soloing as prot spec is not bad, but I just cant see why you should not take 5 points in cruelty, 3 in heroic strike, and anything that would add DPS.then at like 60, go full prot. stay in def stance for everything including soloing and pvp...you'll be like amazed at how easy lvling up will be. you can even do half of it running 5 mans. and it will be cake.

as for pvp or mobs...5 lvls above you is too much. miss, dodge, perrry, is what you'll see "your" swings do to a mob that high (or another player).
    just don't!

hop into a 5 man and get some gear for free. keep running them till you get everything then go back to soloing. then run the next 5 man when you can. you'll lvl up fast. real fast.

by the time you're lvl 50 you'll be a great tank (even as arms). at 70, you'll wonder why it's so easy. by the time you hit northend, you'll laugh at how patheticly easy it is to get to 80. you'll be like, nerf warriors.

Warpdrive

If you want to level fast i would dw untill you get to outland atleast. To make it effective you should kill mobs 1-2 levels lower then yourself and make sure you have a badass mainhand(rest of the gear can be crap).

Killing mobs 5 levels above you is not what warriors do

+ Reply to Thread