+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Better Staff

Better Staff

Which is a better tanking staff, the enraged feral staff from heroic UK or the Staff of Trickery from heroic VH?

imho the Enraged Staff is better, but it all comes down to this:
    The Staff of Trickery has 16 Stam and 11 Agi more then the Enraged Staff, but the enraged one has 700 armor

It all depends on your armor what you may be lacking for the content you are on. I honestly think that the Staff of Trickery is the best pre-raid staff in the game. And the best one is Journey's End - Item - World of Warcraft .

People will argue and debate, but to me AP = more threat, and that is your ultimate job as a tank; to generate as much threat as possible, but if you are having problems with your survivability and you think that it may be your lacking armor then hey..the enraged feral staff is for you

Prior to the armor change, I generally kept the Enraged staff in my normal tanking gear, but swapped in the Trickery staff for pulls where I wasn't concerned with the loss of armor (in some of the easier heroics, trash mobs in naxx, etc.).

I planned on switching to use the trickery staff as my primary tanking staff after the patch, but got lucky and got the Undeath Carrier from 25-man Heigan. So now I'm using that for tanking, with the Enraged staff in my bag and hotkeyed to swap it on if necessary. The 700 armor is not nearly as big a deal as it used to be.
    Taur (80 feral druid), Chanu (70 shaman, waiting for his turn to level), Sareu (new favorite alt, lowbie prot warrior)

Enraged, the armor is more mitigation than Trickery offers. You'll put out great threat with the Enraged. Per-Naxx you want to be able to live through the fights especially if your going into naxx with similarly geared people. Let's not forget that if Uldar lives up to blizzards promise you'll want to have as much mitigation as you can get, but that's on blizzards hands really.

TY everyone. this is my 1st tank and i'm still shaking off off the "Purple is better" I was leaning tward the enraged. But let me get this straight, the armor on it is no longer *'d by bear form and talents?

That's correct. It's still armor, though.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

No, the armor helps. It's not like that armor isn't there but the bear armor modifier isnt' as big as it once was. But yes to concur with the above posts survivability should always be paramount.

Since the patch hit. I've started using Journey's End just because I got my Defender's Code and sit at about 33-34k armor and 40% dodge unbuffed and I the threat generation is just insane. Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread