+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Better value from Dev in Impale/DW builds?

Better value from Dev in Impale/DW builds?

Standard thinking at the moment places CB/SW on a higher priority than Dev, and justifiably so, but I've been wondering if we're doing it a disservice in combination with Impale/DW.
    The increased crit rate on Dev synergises better with Imp/DW than with CB/SW. Add to that the chance of a S&B proc adding a follow-up high-crit SS for more DW and you've got a much better ability than a straight comparison with CB/SW damage would indicate.

Well, that's my main point in a nutshell- here's some more background on my specific situation to take into account.
    My build has no points in Cruelty and I'm running 10mans without a Feral or Fury, but always with a Retridin, so I'm just getting ~8% crit on CB/SW/Rev, but ~23% with Dev/SS/HS.
    Oh, and here's my build - Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

I'd be grateful for any thoughts or maths anyone can offer on this.

Are you suggesting that you wouldn't ever use CB or SS against a boss?
    CB and SW just do so much more damage than Devastate and Impale/Deep Wounds do very little to close the gap.

I think people generally advocate using CB/SW if your Shield Slam is going to light up after the next global cooldown, as a Sword and Board proc wouldn't do anything other than make it free.

Dev wouldn't do enough enough damage to be used over anything, no matter the crit rate. If you had some sort of godly-high dps weapon, then you might get better usage.

As for the S&B procs, well, you are right that you'd get more. I doubt it will make a major difference though. I guess I can run a high-devastate-priority rotation through my sim and see what the change is, just to prove the point

+ Reply to Thread