+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beyond 540 Defense ?

Beyond 540 Defense ?

ok did my first real Naxx run last night (10 man) and they had me tanking Loatheb and it seems my Stam/Avoidance just isnt enough.

I have worked very hard at getting my +Hit and Expertise either capped or soft capped but at the cost of Stam/Avoidance.

are there any basic guidelines on what you want to keep Stam/Avoidance at before you start worrying about +hit/Expertise?

*i am missing enchants and gems on current gear and hate spending $ on them when i might need to replace something quickly and dont know what im trying to achieve*

Warrior
    23921 Health
    541 Defense
    17.66 Dodge
    15.76 Parry
    15.64 Block
    270 Hit
    28 Expertise

Thx for any help

your health looks reallly low for naxx, hit and expertise is nice, but i would move your stamina up a bit.

try losing some hit, you are a one hander, job is too stay alive not to DPS! My warrior unbuffed, (still in the making) 23541 HP, 22557 armor, defense at 542, dodge 22.18 parry 16.46 block 21.72. After getting buffs I am tanking Naxx no prob. Hope you figure it out!

ok what im after is ballpark numbers for dodge/parry/block to shoot for to give up hit for if thats the route im gonna take.

+hit affected abilities (my assumption is it still does) like shield bash and such and there are times you do NOT want those missing, just as there are times you really dont want a mob to dodge/parry.

my intention is not to start an arguement over avoidance/mitigation im just wondering what the lowend of the scale for avoidance is at this point (i could already be there for all i know just seems probable that im lower)

example might be *these are just numbers i have randomly seen posted around as guidelines but NOT for what im talking about per se*

first get 540 defense
    then get 20k hitpoints
    then get 20 in dodge/parry/block
    then get expertise 6.5%
    then get +hit 8%

im just looking for what to proiritize is all at this point
    btw i have 25500+ now having stuffed gems in my stuff

It's impossible to look at it in that way.

Instead I would judge upgrades, enchants, gemming etc on a per item basis. Take for example the Essence of Gossamer. It has 111 stamina, making it a no brainer for almost any tank. 111 stamina is so much stamina that you really wouldn't think about putting anything else in that slot. The only time you wouldn't equip it is if you desperately needed Def to stay above the crit cap.

Every time you see an upgrade, weigh up the pro's and con's and decide on a per item basis what to put in that slot.

We can't possibly say that you should sacrifice all stamina until you get X avoidance, just as we can't say you should sacrifice all threat stats until you get X stamina. It just doesn't work like that.

Your stats are fine. (unbuffed, that is)
    I would advise downloading addons like recount to know what exactly went wrong.

I agree with Juon. I was tanking Naxx10 with less HP than that the 1st time. You've gotta be able to trust your healers. As the old saying goes "If a tank dies, its the healer's fault; If a healer dies, its the tanks fault." I'd say that the latter isn't always true anymore because there is so much raid damage that needs avoided/healed through. Basicly if healers or tanks die, its the healer's fault. If you died on Loatheb, then your healers weren't getting the big heals on you during the break in the no-healing aura. Tell them to prime their heals and hit hard.

well, that's not hardly fair to healers at all wrynn, the tank should do everything in his power to survive, if that's through proper gearing, or using cooldowns than it's his responsibility as well. If you died with shield wall or last stand still up than it was your fault not the healers.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

+ Reply to Thread