+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Paladin Prot Rotation

Paladin Prot Rotation Question

Hey you Paladins,

I'm Looking to see if there is any better spell rotation then what im using now.

Currently i do this:

Avengers's Sheild
    Holy shield
    Judge light/wisdom
    Hand of Reckoning
    Shield Slam
    Hammer of the Righteous
    Consecrate

Rinse/Repeat

Now i have 2 points into improved Judgements.

So what do you all think?
    BTW my Paladins name is Aeus, i have him listed in the drop down above.

Comments, constructive criticism welcomed, Flamers need not apply.
    Last edited by VenomXII; 01-23-2009 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Title fix
    ~VenomXII

I really doesn't see the need for Hand of Reckoning in any rotation at all. The standard 969 rotation would give you much more threat / dmg.

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...-rotation.html

Take a read through that and see if that helps explain it.

You only need to have one point into imp judgements, we as paladin's use a 969 rotation. The 969 is referring to the cooldowns of the abilities we use. Somethings I would change with your rotation, Out of combat Holy Shield, Then Avengers shield, Shield of Righteousness (highest threat ability) unless there's still distance before the mob gets then in that case us Hammer of Righteousness, Judge, SoR or HoR whichever you didn't use, then consecrate if it's a group or Holy shield if not.

Kel
    Last edited by Kelstet; 01-23-2009 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VenomXII View Post
    Hey you Paladins,
    Currently i do this:

Avengers's Sheild
    Holy shield
    Judge light/wisdom
    Hand of Reckoning
    Shield Slam
    Hammer of the Righteous
    Consecrate

Rinse/Repeat

Now i have 2 points into improved Judgements.
    The general idea is there, but there is no need for hand of reckoning as part of the standard rotation. Mixing things up a little from what you are doing now will optimize your cooldowns better. Basically, it amounts to have two groups of abilities to use.

The first group includes: (~9 second cooldown abilities)
    • Consecrate
    • Exorcism
    • Judgements
    • Holy Shield

The second group includes: (6 second cool down abilities)
    • Shield of Righteousness
    • Hammer of the Righteous

Note that 1 point into improved judgements is needed to do the 9696 rotation here, otherwise judgements have a 10 second cooldown. the basic jist is to weave abilities from group 1 into abilities from group 2. So your rotation would become something along the lines of:

Avengers's Sheild
    Holy shield
    Shield of Righteousness
    Judgement
    Hammer of the Righteous
    Consecrate/Exorcism
    Shield of Righteousness

Rinse and repeat....
    *note that Hammer and Shield of right will alternate position in the rotation.

The order can be setup in two macros that you "weave" so the first would cast Holy shield, Judgement, Consecrate. The second would cast Shield of Righteousness and Hammer of the Righteous. That said I myself prefer to weave the rotation manually to keep flexibility. I do however have the macros setup for fights where I need to concentrate more on the mechanics and let my rotation be pretty automatic.
    Soulburner, destruction warlock
    Teradin, protection paladin

http://www.na-arygos.com

Quick side note:
    I personally prefer to start off with HotR as first 6 second cooldown, and then go for judge and then ShoR. This only because of the badge libram (so giving a bit more burst TPS).

Depends on how trigger happy your raid is I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MestHoop View Post
    Quick side note:
    I personally prefer to start off with HotR as first 6 second cooldown, and then go for judge and then ShoR. This only because of the badge libram (so giving a bit more burst TPS).

Depends on how trigger happy your raid is I guess.
    It actually doesn't matter the order. In any given 18 second time frame, any 96969 combination will yield 2 judgements and 3 ShoR. In any combination, 2 ShoR out of the 3 will be paired with the 2 Judgements. One of those two ShoR will happen 4.5 seconds after a judgment, but it will make it in time to get the libram buff. You can do them in any order as long as it is done as 96969.

I am not good at writing macros..can someone show me what macros they are using please.

Quote Originally Posted by Terdrix View Post
    The general idea is there, but there is no need for hand of reckoning as part of the standard rotation. Mixing things up a little from what you are doing now will optimize your cooldowns better. Basically, it amounts to have two groups of abilities to use.

The first group includes: (~9 second cooldown abilities)
    • Consecrate
    • Exorcism
    • Judgements
    • Holy Shield

The second group includes: (6 second cool down abilities)
    • Shield of Righteousness
    • Hammer of the Righteous
    Note that 1 point into improved judgements is needed to do the 9696 rotation here, otherwise judgements have a 10 second cooldown. the basic jist is to weave abilities from group 1 into abilities from group 2. So your rotation would become something along the lines of:

Avengers's Sheild
    Holy shield
    Shield of Righteousness
    Judgement
    Hammer of the Righteous
    Consecrate/Exorcism
    Shield of Righteousness

Rinse and repeat....
    *note that Hammer and Shield of right will alternate position in the rotation.

The order can be setup in two macros that you "weave" so the first would cast Holy shield, Judgement, Consecrate. The second would cast Shield of Righteousness and Hammer of the Righteous. That said I myself prefer to weave the rotation manually to keep flexibility. I do however have the macros setup for fights where I need to concentrate more on the mechanics and let my rotation be pretty automatic.

It would be something like:

#showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=6 spell1,spell2

and

#showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=9 spell1,spell2,spell3

though I don't suggest macro'ing the 9 second ones as I like having the utility of doing them separate for certain fights. The 6 second cooldowns are close enough to macro without losing much functionality.

Thanks!

And BTW, excellent information in your other post.

dont listen to some of these guys. Hand of Reckoning is OFF GCD. i use that shit on CD. I toss Avenger shield and hand of reckoning at the same time. More TPS/DMG more mana spent = more spiritual attunement threat. You don't get SA threat if ur at 100% mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratanna View Post
    dont listen to some of these guys. Hand of Reckoning is OFF GCD. i use that shit on CD. I toss Avenger shield and hand of reckoning at the same time. More TPS/DMG more mana spent = more spiritual attunement threat. You don't get SA threat if ur at 100% mana.
    I don't think anyone in the thread said it was on global cooldown. As long as you don't need to taunt ever in the fight, go ahead and use it (though put it in macro to reduce human response time issues), however, it is only going to add on the order of 7-11 DPS + 8-9 TPS from regenerating 135 mana every 8 seconds. It's more DPS if that is what you are looking for, though I personally don't see the need to do that and prefer to have it available incase something goes wrong.

Another question for you all, you all say that there are ablitiys on a 9 second cooldown.

consecrate being one of them, from my toolbar it shows consecrate on an 8 sec cooldown.

now if you are saying 9 sec cause your including the GCD i can see that.

But if thats not being included then why say its a 9 sec CD when it clearly shows its on an 8 Sec CD
    ~VenomXII

because saying 969 works better than 969686969686
    And because of the rotation you won't be able to press consecrate every 8 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Niian View Post
    because saying 969 works better than 969686969686
    And because of the rotation you won't be able to press consecrate every 8 seconds.
    Yep, exactly. You will press consecration every 9 seconds, not every 8, so it is counted as a 9 second cooldown (think, honorary member). The GCD would prevent you from casting it sooner in the rotation anyways.

Holy Shield is the same. Its cooldown is 8 seconds, but we refresh it at 9 as well. The difference here is that HS actually lasts 10 seconds, so it has a 100% uptime, while consecration only has an 8/9ths uptime.

Might be worth noting here that learning your 969 rotation is still worthwhile for 3.1. So far my analytical testing suggests that standard 969 will still be the most reasonable rotation that has guaranteed Holy Shield uptime. The only rotation that performs better and doesn't sacrifice Holy Shield uptime is replacing every other Judgement with Exorcism, which runs the risk of JotJ downtime.
    "Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
    MATLAB TPS 4.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by theckhd View Post
    Might be worth noting here that learning your 969 rotation is still worthwhile for 3.1. So far my analytical testing suggests that standard 969 will still be the most reasonable rotation that has guaranteed Holy Shield uptime. The only rotation that performs better and doesn't sacrifice Holy Shield uptime is replacing every other Judgement with Exorcism, which runs the risk of JotJ downtime.
    Did you run that while accounting for the Libram of Obstruction as well?

No, I don't model LoO at all in these calculations, because they're modular, so it calculates stat benefits first and sorts out the rotation at the end. It's something that can be added in relatively easily, and is on my list of things to do.

Adding LoO will help reduce the gap between 969 and the exorcism-weaving rotations, but I doubt it will be a significant enough bump to change the relative ordering.

I guess all I would need to check was if the difference between judgement and exorcism was 674 damage or less (though adjusted for crit/miss/partial resist I guess). If so, then you would keep judgement for a 0/53/18 spec, otherwise, you would go exorcism. Do you remember what the modelled numbers for those two abilities were (on average) for a 0/53/18 off chance?

On an alternate note, I guess there is some utility in keeping LoO up in terms of damage mitigation, but that would be more of a personal choice.

I added LoO to the simulation, and it seems to have a bigger effect than I expected. Judgement-substitution falls far behind by losing the extra ShoR damage.

For reference, with the 0/5x/18c spec, here are the damage values for the two pertinent glyph combinations:

Code:
    Ability    glyphed  unglyphed 
    Judgement    2371      2156
    Exorcism     2957      2464

+ Reply to Thread