+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to Resto shammy

New to Resto shammy

Hello there fellow healers!

Having been an MT on my warrior back in the days and then levelling up as dps I got a little bored and decided to finally have a go at trying to heal, for this I took a shammy as I had always loved having them healing me in 5 mans, not sure why and I guess it was more to do with the players than the class!

Anyway in order to level to 80 as quickly as I could I have been coming up as Enhance and now that I am in later levels (78ish atm) I have started to try and collect healing gear from Q rewards. I have done some basic healing whilst levelling, sometimes in a quick 5 man that we outgeared or just in group quests but I still have alot to learn obviously and that is something the guild will help on by us going to lower level dungeons whilst I work out how to heal properly... and reading up on forums on how to heal/rotations etc and the *type* of stats to go for.

However one thing I feel that I really need a boost on is what gear to get, or more particulary where to get it. As a warrrior this website has been amazing with pre-naxx lists for tank and dps gear to make my life easier but I am yet to come across a site with similar lists for resto shammy and was wondering if any of you knew of one or simply just for you to tell me to get lost and pick up whatever I can!

Any advise is welcome - TIA.

Wowhead beats all Resto Shammy Gear list

Heh well yes I guess that works Thanks Bulk I will now go through it all and try to pick out the parts I need.

I'm in a similar situation - i have played a prot warrior for a long time and recently switched servers to play with a RL friend and after getting my warrior to 80 i started working on alts and went with a resto shaman although i cheated a little by dual boxing him with a BM hunter (both around 78 now).

One of the best sites i've found for resto information is Way of the Totem - he has just finished an entire guide to Naxx from his perspective (using videos from Tankspot)

Other good general healing sites are PlusHeal.com and World of Matticus

Happy healing

I don't want to compose a list for you really - it all comes down to what role you want to focus on. If you're going to heal 25 mans there is a fairly good chance you'll gonna be raid healing and you will favor a good balance of int, haste and SP. Int is for longvidity (6 Mp5 is only worth slightly more mana than 16int in a 10min fight, and int wins any fight shorter - reason for this is replenisment). Haste is for your chain heals to dip below 2 sec cast time so you can actually save as many as possible. SP, well it's more or less self-explanatory
    If you're more into 5-10mans odds are you will do much more single target healing and as such your focus will be a balance of SP, Crit. Crit makes Improved Water Shield proc and give you alot mana in return

To find the actual gear I recommend wowhead.com. They have a very good and easy to use filter. Want to find healing gear, make a filter that "SP > 0", "Hit = 0" and wupti you don't have that much gear to look trough You can also limit it to specific instances and the like.

I guess getting hooked onto resto Shammy as your 2nd+ toon is normal because i did the same thing. A few easy items to get just off the top of my head is the Cannoneers trinket from Icecrown and Helm of the Lightning Halls is a nice BoE blue helm that drops from H HoL. Also if you don't feel like waiting for it to drop I've noticed it is fairly cheap on the AH on my server so maybe yours is the same (last night was 30g). Other than that nothing that jumps out. Nice easy bracers to get from Nexus and the Epic Mace from Nexus (both on Heroic).

Gear Choices Pt. I - How to gear a Resto Shaman for Naxxramas | Shields Up!

I'm doing it the other way round. Always been resto shaman but truly enjoying my prot warrior right now.
    http://www.shieldsup.ch - Another Resto Shaman Blog

Well thanks for all the inputs, the web site links were nice to read up on other peoples input and tbh I think I am getting near the start of gear for me to learn to heal. I did a run through Strat normal with a friend as tank as he was over geared for it, it was ok apart from Meathook where we almost wiped although I managed not to let anyone die it was very close for a few seconds as I kept on getting constricting chains

I now have a gear set with about 1600 sp, but cant remember the crit/mp5. I will be doing either just 5 mans or 10 man Naxx with my casual guild so will be concentrating on SP/crit/mp5 as most items have decent amount of int on them anyway.

Just got to learn how to heal properly really and not let people think Resto shammies are bad just because I am bad hehe!

Thanks for the links again!

Check out the site Loot Rank for WotLK. Enter the template area, select Resto Shaman. Uncheck the 'show gear from' checkboxes from any place you're not running (i.e. Nax 25, etc.) It shows items from most any place in wow, allowing you to filter drops only coming from heroics, crafted BoE, etc.

It also has the beta option to load the gear you are currently showing in your armory profile, and will place that comparitively on the lists. This site has proven hugely beneficial for myself as I help others determine choice gear drops for classes I normaly know little about.

Best of luck. My pocket healer for all heroics, guild raids and pug 25 mans is a resto shaman, and honestly they completely rock with the versatility of the totems.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTonTail View Post
    Check out the site Loot Rank for WotLK. Enter the template area, select Resto Shaman. Uncheck the 'show gear from' checkboxes from any place you're not running (i.e. Nax 25, etc.) It shows items from most any place in wow, allowing you to filter drops only coming from heroics, crafted BoE, etc.

It also has the beta option to load the gear you are currently showing in your armory profile, and will place that comparitively on the lists. This site has proven hugely beneficial for myself as I help others determine choice gear drops for classes I normaly know little about.

Best of luck. My pocket healer for all heroics, guild raids and pug 25 mans is a resto shaman, and honestly they completely rock with the versatility of the totems.
    Cool site!! But....

I am really confused by the resto Shaman template. If I am looking at how this site works correctly, you need to assign some sort of factor of importance to each stat from 0 to at least 50. Simple enough, but look at how the Resto Shaman template is factored:

MP5: 50
    Spell Power: 20.68
    Int: 11
    Haste: 5
    Crit Rating: 3
    Sta: 2

Now, I understand that this is a decent template to use for a fresh 80 Resto Shaman. But especially with the current end game mana regen mechanics (which are through the roof), I certainly would not rank MP5 as five times more important than Int. I have always been told that Int is actually the best stat to stack at the end game for Resto Shaman because of our 35 point Talent that converts Int to +Healing and how well it scales with both Replenishment and Mana Tide totem.

Thoughts?

Well I did look through all those sites, started getting together some nice blue gear ready for healing but then we had another guild member level his holy pala at last and so I was asked to go dps for the time being so all my research was sidelined for the moment.

However I do agree with you Phaythe that I wouldnt rate mp5 quite as highly as that, certainly Int is great if you can count on a replenishment buff.

I am just looking forward to when (if) duel spec comes out so I can finally do some healing properly.

from warlock to shaman

Way before TBC i had my warlock, i loved my warlock, then came TBC and the draeni, my poor warlock now collects dust, i love my shaman.

I'm not so fortunate though as to have found a decent raiding guild yet, i have done part of 25 man nax of heroic but only as a pug they pulled in as the raid healer had to go. Apart from that my experience of over 10 man raids is zero. I camp out in dungeons and me and my friends be all 2 and occasionally a 3rd do 10 man runs on our todds, be it they are not the lvl 80 ones they are the good oldies like karazhan.

Anyway back to my point, every time i get invited to go to nax or os i get asked not about spell power thats fine bordering 2k (with buffs) but what gear im wearing, now i scraped together every single bit of decent gear i possibly can but unless u can do the spanking dungeons and the gear drops i'm never gonna get the gear they require me to have, so i'm stuck in a rift and the only time i can go to these big time raids is if they are desperate, then i can't roll for any gear coz i not part of their guild and the only time they give me gear is if nobody else wants it, choke!

I have now started to level a druid as i decided i want to be a tree, and feral sounds quite a fun thing, i also like being a bear.

I agree with the above - one template won't serve every single aspect of being a resto shaman. For me, I use the site because I'm a prot warrior. The site won't take into account block / threat / stam sets when using the default template. So you will want to apply some common sense, and if you're of the mindset - make a template for yourself. The real advantage is that it will sort out item drops for you w/o you having to sort through wowhead.com and Atlas Loot for hours, where'in you'll still have to apply common sense. Play with different ratings and watch the template where it recomends, for example, a head slot item. When you start getting the proper headpiece sorted at the top of the list, and the Mp5 one comes in second place, then you can 'kinda trust it' for the rest of the items, still keeping of course your own best judgement in mind.

This - "these big time raids is if they are desperate, then i can't roll for any gear coz i not part of their guild and the only time they give me gear is if nobody else wants it, choke!" is total crap. If you pug into a group you should have the same rights to /roll on gear as anyone else in the raid. Guilds that bring someone in to help them raid, then don't let them /roll on gear for any old lame excuse are assholes - don't pug into a run with that guild again. Most guilds who pug players actualy forgoe DKP where the pug is concerned just to let them have a fair shot to make it worth their while. If you are a healer then even moreso, because WoW has such a huge healer shortage it's not even funny. Ask them beforehand what their /roll policy is for loot, if they can't allow you chances at gear then wait for the next pug. Nax, VoA, OS, all get posted in LFG 5x a day in my server. I'm sure you will do well to be a touch more selective.

Thank you for this post OP! I just checked out the lootrank for my freshly 80 shammy. Soooo helpful. I was using maxdps.com previously but I like lootrank a lot better. Using it for my shammy and frosty mage! On a sad note, I was on my mage when Zom's Crackling Bulwark - Item - World of Warcraft dropped in our pug party. Our Resto shammy who never dropped a totem and kept spacing out because he was "on vent" and couldn't handle talking on vent and healing apparently...won it. Nobody rolled against him even tho I so badly wanted it...because he could use it right then...but still...I died a little bit on the inside that day. Currently going for 2k on my server Happy note, a very nice guildie made me Revenant's Chest and Treads when I dinged 80

Also I agree with TenTonTail. You're a healer, and a shammy healer at that, you WILL be needed/wanted for raids. Don't settle for healing for anybody that's going to jip you out of rolling on gear. My guild pugs 25-mans cuz we don't have quite enough guildies for them yet, and anybody we pug has just as much right to roll on an item as my guildies do. And we're all okay with that. Don't settle for anything less. Go heal for someone that will appreciate it. =)
    The more people I meet, the more I like my ferrets.

Thankyou, i will be more selective of who i pug for in future, but in light of my troubles i got my first piece of tier 7 gear only yesterday. I found a nice guild whos healer hadn't turned up and they asked if i would mind being the second healer in 10 man nax, they also said they didnt have dkp so everyone roles for their selective gear. Hence i got me shoulders. =)

Grats to you! If you are getting tier from naxx 2 healing sounds like you should easily be good enough to get into OS on a regular basis and get your hands as well. OS is WAY easier to heal than most bosses in naxx as long as you have a group that can just get between lava walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Syberia View Post
    Thank you for this post OP! I just checked out the lootrank for my freshly 80 shammy. Soooo helpful. I was using maxdps.com previously but I like lootrank a lot better. Using it for my shammy and frosty mage! On a sad note, I was on my mage when Zom's Crackling Bulwark - Item - World of Warcraft dropped in our pug party. Our Resto shammy who never dropped a totem and kept spacing out because he was "on vent" and couldn't handle talking on vent and healing apparently...won it. Nobody rolled against him even tho I so badly wanted it...because he could use it right then...but still...I died a little bit on the inside that day. Currently going for 2k on my server Happy note, a very nice guildie made me Revenant's Chest and Treads when I dinged 80

:O I can't believe you didn't all roll on that!! I have that on my shammy and love it . . . it's pretty too >.> But I only paid 600g for it lol. I think I got a good deal

And you brought up what I was going to say . . and that is:

You can get decent gear from LWing. both the Revenant's chest and treads are very nice. If you don't mind wearing leather, there's crafted boomkin pants (windripper leggings) as well. I wore those for a while just cause I am cursed by the Blizz gods when it comes to drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Torente View Post
    :O I can't believe you didn't all roll on that!! I have that on my shammy and love it . . . it's pretty too >.> But I only paid 600g for it lol. I think I got a good deal

And you brought up what I was going to say . . and that is:

You can get decent gear from LWing. both the Revenant's chest and treads are very nice. If you don't mind wearing leather, there's crafted boomkin pants (windripper leggings) as well. I wore those for a while just cause I am cursed by the Blizz gods when it comes to drops.
    I know, I should have...but it really wouldn't have been fair to take something from someone for one of my "alts"...que cera cera. And ty for the tip, but I totally had a guildie LWer make me the revenants set
    The more people I meet, the more I like my ferrets.

Just google "max dps" its the 1st one...

i used their resto shammy gear list, and it was almost spot on to what i thought was best.. i am starting to disagree with them more since new ulduar content is out... but through the beginging lvl 80 heroics and raids, this website is spot on

I ran Zom's till I got Assim out of Naxx 25 man.....which seemed to take forever. That an the mace out of nexus, still havent gotten my BIS weapon or my shoulders, I really hate pug/alt naxx's. Good thing about a shaman is you can afford to squeeze in some elemental gear and still be very effective. When you first start out I would say mp5 is going to be your main priority. Once you start getting gear I would go with crit/mp5/haste/sp.

+ Reply to Thread