+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blood Tanking & Rotations

Blood Tanking & Rotations

Hey all you brilliant people. Since 3.0.8 I've been feeling meh about Unholy tanking (single-target TPS was already starting to lag a little) and I'm wanting to try the new spec o' the week, Blood. I'm not sure how well Armory handles Frost presence as of now, but I'm sitting at 31.3k hp unbuffed with 28.5k armor (exactly, which is ironic). My avoidance with Horn of Winter comes out to almost exactly 46% (before Blade Barrier and not counting Miss).

Those are the basic stats, here's the spec and gear:

Armory

Basically I'm looking for advice on tanking, mainly MT / OT'ing in 10 and 25 mans, as Blood. The rotations I'm thinking about currently are

IT,PS,Oblit,HS,HS, throwing in deathcoil when I get a proc or am nearing max RP. Obviously rune strikes whenever possible.

The other possibility is simple Oblit, Oblit, HS, HS, repeat, with the same RP usage as above.

I love the mitigation potential I see in Blood, but I'm seeing absolutely horrible dps numbers (800-1k) on the heroic training dummy in Org. Granted, this has no Rune Strikes, but I'll never hold aggro with those kind of numbers. What am I doing wrong?

I've been using this for a threat generating macro:

#showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=6 Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Death Strike, Death Coil, Blood Boil, Pestilence, Rune Strike
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

I'm only level 78 but my healers have not been complaining. We'll see how I do in 25 man Naxx in two levels though ...

I looked over your spec. It seems you are concentrating a lot on CRIT rating and not on HIT rating, self healing and THREAT.

It seems to me that the advantage of a blood tank is that we don't need to be healed as much. Am I way off here?

Agreed - crits generate threat - no argument there.

In general the cookie cutter (so to speak) rotation i use is:

IT - PS - HS - HS - OB

Then second rotation (as you have death runes)

IT - PS - HS - HS - HS - HS - OB

Repeat

Glyphed for Rune Strike and Obliterate and your TPS is really good.

Theres also another option that some people run with, drop the obliterate glyph and take the death strike one, then replace the HS with DS in your rotation. Personally i prefer HS over DS but i think its personal preference.

Some personal opinions on your spec:

Drop Blood Aura, wasted talent imo and take Abomination's Might (Unless you have another blood dk with that talent)

Sudden Doom, personally i never gained that much from this talent and with the above rotations its not often i have to DC. I take Dancing Rune Weapon and use that as my RP dump if need be.

+ Reply to Thread