+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Glancings

Glancings

Ive looked all over the site and I cannot seem to find this information. I am noticings glancing blows and would like to find out if there is a way to getting rid of them.

Thanks

glancing bows naturally occur and there is no way to remove them. I don't remember the exact% chance of glancing blows but I believe it to be 15%? (don't quote me on that).

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

In my experience, the best way to minimize the number of glancing blows it to make sure your weapon skill is capped out. I tend to be more conscious of them when I'm using a different sort of weapon then whatever is usual.

Glancing blows can only happen when the target's defense is higher than your weapon skill. So basically whenever you fight something higher level than you, you might glance.

On really important thing to note is that specials cannot glance. So... queue up those heroic strikes .

Glancing blow - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft

Glancing Blow is the symmetric of a crushing blow. They use very similar mechanics to calculate the chance of happening(glancings still happen when the weapon skill - defense difference goes 15 or inferior, crushings start at 16). Glancing blows do less damage(50%? 70%?) and can't be avoided at all, since there's no way to increase your weapon skill, or lower the enemy's defense skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizlor View Post
    How does someone with a last laugh not understand basic combat mechanics?
    Just because I have good gear doesn't mean I know every single detail about combat mechanics. Even mods on this site have had to ask questions that people would consider something basic knowledge. Do not assume that people have all the answers just because they can kill a boss. While I know my rotation, gearing and role in a raid and how to maximize my role in a raid does not mean I know every single thing in the game and the exact mechanics of it.

Thanks for the answers, it was something I obviously did not know so I wanted to ask the bright people here for help.

I'm pretty sure glancing blows now only happen if your weapon skill is 16 or more points below the target's defense.

I never show glancing blows in my recount, except against bosses, and when I get disarmed; my unarmed skill isn't maxed yet and will glance.
    Last edited by Forklift; 03-03-2009 at 04:58 PM.

I have done tests with my night elf warrior (400 Weapon Skill) with only white damages and without any buff, and I have glancing blows for both "Heroic Training Dummy" (worldboss) and "Grandmaster's Training Dummy" (lvl 80).
    I'm sure the informations on wowwiki are out-of-date.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    glancing bows naturally occur and there is no way to remove them. I don't remember the exact% chance of glancing blows but I believe it to be 15%? (don't quote me on that).
    Gonna quote you on it anyway!

It's 25% on boss mobs (+3 levels).
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Yep, 25% on boss mobs, with (IIRC) 30% or 35% less damage.

The EJ page on this (along with the Crushing blow info) is horribly outdated, last time I checked. Might not want to go there for answers :P

No need to get on your high horses because someone doesn't know about the glancing mechanic. In todays wow, it's just not very important. It used to be important, in that phase when weapon skill would allow you to counteract it's effect. As there is nothing you can do to counter glancing blows these days beyond maxing HS usage, it's really not going to stop anyone progressing whether they know about glancing or not.

If I was going to show someone up with a smart alec armory post, I'd probably point out how the OP has the achievement for Sartharion +3 Drakes, which is a much better indicator of ability than knowing about glancing blows, an achievement not managed by some of the other posters in this thread.

Considering that you have to rely on 9 or 24 other people for raid achievements, I don't consider them serious measurements of individual skill -- however unlikely, you can be carried through.

Knowing about glancing blows has absolutely jack to do with skills also, though. That's knowledge. Skill doesn't equal knowledge, though they usually follow one another.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ

Made me wonder. Does knowledge of the glancing blow mechanic have ANY implication on ANY raid encounter in WotLK?

..except remembering to max weapon skill before raiding

It depends.

There are achievemnts which measure skill, for example Sarth 3D but there are other's that don't, like "Don't get hit by a comet while killing sartharion" or Malygos in 6 minutes, which means: Kill malygos without any melees other than two deathknights

It doesn't measure individual skill. It measures collective skill.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ

But there's no way in wow to show your own skill or I simple can't imagine anyone. Solocontent is either to simple or exploits (Killing Hydros alone etc.), while of course killing hydross alone or doing the militaryquarter solo is quite impressing.

Back in the day I've done things like "Killing an 2 level higher Elitemob all alone" but that wasn't skill in the first place, it depends on the class to play. No problem killing thetis with a couple of cooldowns as a sublety rogue, great problem if you try the same thing as a warrior. I remember trying to kill the lvl 66 elite eagle in nagrand as lvl 70 warrior. I just get him down to 50% with recklessness. When I came back to my corpse, a 65 warlock did him solo.

So what to do ? :P
    Last edited by Nidhoggr; 03-03-2009 at 07:21 AM.

I find some of the comments here quite elitist and nasty. And in no way helping the OP who just asks a question.
    "That's the tragedy of todays content."
    "with a last laugh not understand basic"

Doubting the posters skills: "don't consider them serious measurements"
    Well let me wake you up: unless you have seen the player play, achievements are the only measurements of skill.

Deep knowledge of glancing blows and how to get rid of them is sooooo Vanilla-WoW, while they can still occur, the need to know about them isn't there anymore.
    It might win you trivial pursuit though.

Quote Originally Posted by orcstar View Post
    I find some of the comments here quite elitist and nasty. And in no way helping the OP who just asks a question.
    "That's the tragedy of todays content."
    "with a last laugh not understand basic"
    That seems to be the growing trend around here. I've only been regularly visiting this site for maybe four months now and increasing amount of pompous, inflammatory, posts has been noticeable.

Deep knowledge of glancing blows and how to get rid of them is sooooo Vanilla-WoW, while they can still occur, the need to know about them isn't there anymore.
    It might win you trivial pursuit though.
    Or it might win you theorycraft pursuit, if you're trying to, for example, figure out just how much TPS and DPS a warrior tank will lose if the Heroic Strike ability was changed in various ways.

There's no part of the combat system that's not worth knowing about.

Anyway, my take on elitism and gear or talents is: I don't give a damn. Show me your raw data, show me your math, and show me your results. Those are what matter. I suspect most of the long-time members of this forum have similar attitudes.

P.S. Note the massive thread necromancy on this topic and be good.
    Learn to science and stop theorycrapping in its tracks.

Then report them.

Nothing makes me more sadder then someone spamming in trade chat and people saying 'OMG STOP!' 'YOU SUCK SPAMMER'

.. instead of simply using /ignore..

+ Reply to Thread