+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Maximizing MT DPS

Raid composition has a *huge* effect. If you're doing 10 mans you'll notice your dps change all the time. With 25 mans, this is less likely to happen. Also as Xav put it in his patchwerk thread: having a fast kill will amplify the effects of burst damage (like sb -> SS or having bloodlust). Since you pug, you're probably not setting land speed records on kills like other guilds who have been farming naxx for a few weeks.

It's no coincidence that I've done my best dps running with a DK/Fury Warrior/Resto Shaman. All those buffs are nice. The fact that we actually dropped bosses before Bloodlust wore off, was also a nice stat padder.

I don't use rend. I think the consensus was that to get the max dps from a rend over a devastate you had to wait for it to expire before re applying it. While that makes it easier to fit into a rotation, I just found that I didn't have enough brain power to keep track of that and look to see which abilities were off CD.

You have a truckload of stamina. For fights where you don't need it, swap the Essence of Gossamer for a dps trinket. I would actually suggest the Mirror of Truth, I suspect the crit will benefit your set up more than the block trinkets. If you have all 3, you can just rotate between then until you find the best one.

Also, unless you need it, throw TC and demo out of your rotation. Your stats and gear look fine, you're expertise soft capped, have a lot of hit, good attack power, passable crit. So I can't really suggest anything else to you. I'm also no good at reading logs/parses so I won't ask.

Buffs make or break it. Leader of the Pack, mark of the wild, strength of earth, Kings, Sanctuary, improved might, heart of the crusader, faerie fire, mangle, unleashed rage, windfury, sanctified retribution, swift retribution and blood poisoning. That's a lot of stuff to have, and it all adds up :P

I've done 2200ish dps on patchwerk without deep wounds (had impale) in a 25 man with almost all of the above. I did 10 man naxx where all I had was unimproved might and mark of the wild, with deep wounds, and I barely did 1600.

Agree with Grizlor,buff will indeed make or break a raids dps (or even allow patchwerk to be nuked down fast for achievement).

One thing i would add, whilst it may be fun to embarass a few "pure" dps class by beating them as a tank, its all about threat.

For me personally,so long as no one is within 20% of my threat it is job done.

Do what tanks do best mate...leave the recount-my-dick-is-bigger-than-yours-bullshit to the dps classes

Steadily improving my DPS (it still sucks, but its getting better!) - would agree with much of what the above posters have said. The specifics I'd focus on if you're looking at MT DPS are:

*) Think "outside the box" when it comes to some gear slots, particularly trinkets. If you can get away with it, stacking Expertise,Hit,Crit,AP,etc here can really help.
    *) Glyph for Revenge and keep HStrike queued - always.
    *) Eat Wyrmalicious Rhinosteak for Expertise buff.
    *) Gem and enchant for Expertise where possible and practical; it's the best tank stat in this respect until you have at least 26 (or is it 27 ? I can never remember!); and still very beneficial until you're into the high 50s.
    *) Don't get downhearted when you see "Tank does 6k DPS on Hogger" - these kinds of achievements are often done using very specific gear and raid compositions that work perfectly for that encounter; but might leave the same tank in a bloody pool on the floor in another encounter using that gear. But at the same time, study what they say, do and wear if they provide proof as this helps understand where improvements can come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    Raid composition has a *huge* effect. If you're doing 10 mans you'll notice your dps change all the time. With 25 mans, this is less likely to happen. Also as Xav put it in his patchwerk thread: having a fast kill will amplify the effects of burst damage (like sb -> SS or having bloodlust). Since you pug, you're probably not setting land speed records on kills like other guilds who have been farming naxx for a few weeks.

It's no coincidence that I've done my best dps running with a DK/Fury Warrior/Resto Shaman. All those buffs are nice. The fact that we actually dropped bosses before Bloodlust wore off, was also a nice stat padder.

I don't use rend. I think the consensus was that to get the max dps from a rend over a devastate you had to wait for it to expire before re applying it. While that makes it easier to fit into a rotation, I just found that I didn't have enough brain power to keep track of that and look to see which abilities were off CD.

You have a truckload of stamina. For fights where you don't need it, swap the Essence of Gossamer for a dps trinket. I would actually suggest the Mirror of Truth, I suspect the crit will benefit your set up more than the block trinkets. If you have all 3, you can just rotate between then until you find the best one.

Also, unless you need it, throw TC and demo out of your rotation. Your stats and gear look fine, you're expertise soft capped, have a lot of hit, good attack power, passable crit. So I can't really suggest anything else to you. I'm also no good at reading logs/parses so I won't ask.
    I hear ya. And thanks for the advice!

I've been lucky enough to obtain a lavanthors, mirror, and essence (and I normally only wear the essence for main tanking bosses that hit like a truck, or on fights like loatheb when surviving is paramount). For trash I usually wear mirror, and for other bosses I usually wear lavanthors. I think I will probably benefit from wearing that mirror more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Naux View Post
    Keep in mind that while all of this advice is right on the money if your guild/the guilds you are pugging with has this stuff on farm, if you are ever tanking for a guild that is less geared/as geared as they should be for an encounter having your gear at an optimal or above-optimal level of avoidance and EH are going to be considerably more beneficial to the raid than your added dps will be.

In part you are correct, but largely incorrect.

DPS = Threat, the goal of every tank should be to maximize dps AND threat. And when it comes to warrior tanks we do a decent job at both.

I maintain quite a good composition of avoidance/EH/TPS and DPS. You can do it all, but you have to work for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tohunga View Post
    I hear ya. And thanks for the advice!

I've been lucky enough to obtain a lavanthors, mirror, and essence (and I normally only wear the essence for main tanking bosses that hit like a truck, or on fights like loatheb when surviving is paramount). For trash I usually wear mirror, and for other bosses I usually wear lavanthors. I think I will probably benefit from wearing that mirror more often.
    On 10 man content I wear the Mirror on everything, including Patchwerk.

http://wowwebstats.com/v3prxdjbrcl33?s=48073-79961

3345 dps as tank. 25man patchwerk. some tricks.

use only HS spam and revenge and ofc always shield slam when it's up. Don't touch to shockwave or concussion blow, i tried them but seemed only to lower my dps/tps. Well about gear i have hit cap and OBVIOUSLY def cap too, but slacking some expertise, would like to get some more (Thaddius boots & Malygos leggins). What can i say i used Grim toll trinket and Darkmoon card: Greatness which is imo best two tank trinkets atm. My healers didn't any problems to keep me up maybe because offtank takes more dmg at patcherwk than main tank does. (Tps was awesome)

What wep are you using, I'm assuming a slow high dmg wep as patch atks so fast you constantly have rev light up.

Oh dont believe what other warriors tell you about their numbers - come on! Without a clear WWS parse to read through, I would assume most warriors are just making up the numbers. My guild warriors are exceptionally geared from naxx25, and their dps + total damage is right at the bottom of the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Warizz View Post
    WWS Loading...

3345 dps as tank. 25man patchwerk. some tricks.

use only HS spam and revenge and ofc always shield slam when it's up. Don't touch to shockwave or concussion blow, i tried them but seemed only to lower my dps/tps. Well about gear i have hit cap and OBVIOUSLY def cap too, but slacking some expertise, would like to get some more (Thaddius boots & Malygos leggins). What can i say i used Grim toll trinket and Darkmoon card: Greatness which is imo best two tank trinkets atm. My healers didn't any problems to keep me up maybe because offtank takes more dmg at patcherwk than main tank does. (Tps was awesome)
    I have no idea why you would skip a Concussion blow; it's not even on the GCD.

On a single fight in which you have no requirement to move at all; 2500 DPS isn't as hard as it sounds with food buffs, BoMight/Battle Shout, etc. it's a matter of spamming the living heck out of Heroic Strike until your HS finger hurts.

You can use other abilities all you want as long as you ensure you're not letting white swings through and you'll rack up 2000+ DPS on that boss easy. Very few fights however, let you simply stand there and whack heroic strike's key your hearts content.

Quote Originally Posted by Stearns View Post
    Oh dont believe what other warriors tell you about their numbers - come on! Without a clear WWS parse to read through, I would assume most warriors are just making up the numbers. My guild warriors are exceptionally geared from naxx25, and their dps + total damage is right at the bottom of the charts.
    Maybe you should take a look at this thread...

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f177/...benchmark.html

The actual dps numbers and the ranking aren't related. Xav and Graf are doing dps numbers that make us all jealous and they're still at the bottom of the rankings.

I'm not even sure why you felt the need to call all warriors liars, since the only one who quoted a number also provided a WWS.

The numbers the OP talk about aspiring too aren't even that outrageous.

+ Reply to Thread