+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 40 SBV vs. 20 Defense Rating (shield)

40 SBV vs. 20 Defense Rating (shield)

So 40 SBV is pretty nice, but I'll be honest and admit I don't know how to judge it against the 20 defense rating that currently sits on my Barricade of Eternity. Were I to get the 40 SBV, I'd still be over the 540 defense minimum.

So what is the community's thoughts on using the SBV on a MT/boss shield in addition to putting it on my Skull of Ruin (heroic shield).
    Last edited by Octobersky; 01-20-2009 at 10:50 PM.

I think I'm goin to go for the 40 SBV. it becomes 80 with shield block, and 160 with a critical block on that, its a fair bit of mitigation. Certainly at least closes the gap survivability wise between 20 def and 40 SBV, and its a threat enchant too.

20 defense is still best for MTing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalphir View Post
    it becomes 80 with shield block, and 160 with a critical block on that, its a fair bit of mitigation.
    52 with standard talents, no glyphs;
    92 with Shield Block OR critical block;
    132 with Shield Block AND critical block.

Add 4 (most of the time) if you're using a Glyph of Blocking, and another 2 with a +5% BV meta gem.

Not having done any maths on this, I'd say use the plating as long as you're in 10-man content, as hits tend to be smaller and thus the value of BV, greater.

Edit: I just got the plans for the Titanium Plating. Unlike what the patch notes or any other information so far has said, the plating does not provide 40 BV... but a socket instead. This is an interesting change indeed.
    Last edited by Khordam; 01-21-2009 at 07:12 AM.

I'm keeping the Defense on my Barricade for MTing and I put Titanium Plating on my Wall of Terror for trash tanking.

And what are you talking about Khordam? Check my armory... my shield has +40 SBV.

Quote Originally Posted by Khordam View Post
    Edit: I just got the plans for the Titanium Plating. Unlike what the patch notes or any other information so far has said, the plating does not provide 40 BV... but a socket instead. This is an interesting change indeed.

This is what I see on my server too. It's one socket now instead of 40 SBV. I have to think about what to do with this, as a JC it's probably a good place for different prismatic gems for my shields.

I am a 447 Blacksmith and when I hit up the trainer last night he did not have this. Where do we get it from?

Quote Originally Posted by Inaoe View Post
    This is what I see on my server too. It's one socket now instead of 40 SBV. I have to think about what to do with this, as a JC it's probably a good place for different prismatic gems for my shields.
    This has to be some sort of strange bug. Based on the enchantment description as seen at the vendor and the item description as seen on the AH on my server it remains +40 SBV.

Not to sound contradictory but I'd love to see a screenshot just to document the wording and the requirements - something is definitely amiss though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fila
    I am a 447 Blacksmith and when I hit up the trainer last night he did not have this. Where do we get it from?
    Plan is sold by the Alliance Vanguard Quartermasters (Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord) and requires Exalted Rep with Alliance Vanguard. Unfortunately I'm not exalted yet so I couldn't pick it up but I can confirm that it's on the vendor and at least on my server still lists +40 SBV as the enchant.

The tooltip seems to be buggy in some languages, in german for example it really tells you you'll gonna get an additional socket on your shield - after using the enchant you still see the expected 40 SBV

Quote Originally Posted by Margeth View Post
    The tooltip seems to be buggy in some languages, in german for example it really tells you you'll gonna get an additional socket on your shield - after using the enchant you still see the expected 40 SBV
    That would explain it, I only read the tooltip someone linked to the trade channel.

I'd rather have the socket!
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

Quick question:
    Should I put Titanium Plating or Titanium Shield Spike on my trash shield? Both are quite nice and I just can't make up my mind. Additional block value is nice and the extra damage from Shield Spike is also nice. Which one would you prefer?

Thanks!

I'd definitely rather have the socket, as well. But it's not.

To clear up and confirm, it's only a tooltip error in the German game client.

Please explain to me the logic of putting a prismatic gem into a socket that isn't going to count for socket bonuses.

Also of note is that you have to be, in addition to exalted w/the alliance vanguard/horde expedition, a 450 blacksmith to make the plating.

Yay me, having just gotten exalted w/horde expedition...I should spam my trade skills and make free cash...

40 sbv

The way I look at this is that 40SBV is > 20 def.

reason being that 20 def rating can basically be gemmed with +16 def rating gem.

40 SBV can't be gemmed. (unless you have 5 sockets with 16 str each).

20 rating ~ 4 skill = 0.16 parry/dodge/miss and 0.16 block. = 0.48 avoidance and a bit of block.

this is BEFORE diminishing returns, and since we are looking at steep DRs starting around 20% , I don't really see how the avoidance is worth it.

but I am not saying for bosses, since the extra bit of avoidance is a better since bosses hit hard. but the threat aspect of this is really something that needs to be taken in to account.

ibudget wise 40 SBV >>> def.

I still believe there will be some type of increase in value of block since it is a very unique aspect to war/pally tanking and should be looked at as THE damage reduction tool. The key here is that the amount blocked is AFTER armor reduction takes affect.

I have heard of very high block values and with critical and shield block up, these values can block huge amounts of boss damage. I hope to seem more gear stacking insane SBV in the future.

but the best way to go is 2 shields , one with and one without so you can change based on what you need more.

Quote Originally Posted by Petersin View Post
    Please explain to me the logic of putting a prismatic gem into a socket that isn't going to count for socket bonuses.
    Different shields for different encounters, and I would change 2 prismatic gems without having to worry about other pieces of gear. Getting socket bonuses is not the only benefit from prismatic gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    I'd rather have the socket!
    20 defense > any gem currently in existence for mitigation purposes.

I suppose 16 expertise or hit would be a nice threat enchant but you'd probably get more threat out of a shield spike =0.

Now a gem socket AND 20 defense would be nice =)

40 SBV is nice because it lets us purpose a shield for block sets, and another shield for bosses (20 defense).

Oh, and 40 SBV adds an extra ~13 damage to our damage shield! Shield spike might still be the way to go for trash...

Does Impale affect damage shield crits?
    Last edited by Myzery; 01-21-2009 at 11:52 AM.

Different shields for different encounters, and I would change 2 prismatic gems without having to worry about other pieces of gear. Getting socket bonuses is not the only benefit from prismatic gems.
    Sure, but if you've got 3 prismatic gems in your armor, and you're just swapping out shields, you're still taking a net statistics loss compared to putting the prismatic gems into coloured sockets for socket bonuses.

I'll not say your plan isn't simpler, it is. Because you have to strategically place your prismatic gems for maximum benefit and minimal waste across your gear sets, paying special mind to which pieces do double duty in which sets of gear. But doing that, generally, in a prismatic slot you should put a coloured gem to accomplish whatever goal it is you have in mind for that piece of gear.

EX: If you have a stamina set of gear, you want to put Solid Sky Sapphire into your prismatic slots, while keeping your Solid Dragon's Eyes for those pesky Yellow and Red slots that net you the best socket bonuses.

...unless you're talking about changing your gemming 'on the fly'. but saying "Different shields for different encounters" makes me think you're talking about tailoring gear to an encounter, not having a bag of different cuts of Dragon's Eyes and swapping them into your shield as you would change a piece of gear.

I think of it this way:

If you're having a hard time hitting the defense cap or just staying above it, then obviously you're going to want +20 Defense. If, however, you have been raiding 25-man content for a while now then it's probably best to go for the 40 SBV as it's more damage and more threat.

Personally, I'm using 40 SBV until Ulduar where tank survivability might be an issue. As it stands right now, though, I'd rather hit harder. :P

+ Reply to Thread