+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we outlaw "Defense Cap"?

Can we outlaw "Defense Cap"?

I think as a tanking community we need to start the process to get this incorrect and confusing statement removed from general use. This is not without precedent. The concept of Effective health was started by a group of players and now is a common idea among most tanks and even the general wow population. But we have to start somewhere. In its place i have heard several possible alternatives starting with the standard "Uncrittable" and "Defense Minimum". If we must stick with the wording cap, then how about "Anti-crit Cap". But we have to do something. I think if as a community as a whole we just ban the phrase we can have a positive effect on getting it replaced with a more correct term.

/end rant

Yes plz

Defense Minimum f/ Heroics
    Defense Minimum f/ Raids

those 2 make the most semantic sense

I got yelled at yesterday for correcting someone in /g about this... but I held my ground. Bugs me to no end... NOT A CAP!

.... someone needs to lolcat this ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    people don't know how to keep it in their pants for a little bit before exploding all over my face.

WTB defense Min plx

I have no problem with it. Just think of it as meaning 'Defence soft cap', along the lines of the soft caps for hit for various classes.

It's certainly nothing to get one's knickers in a twist about.

/agree... when people use the word "cap" i immediately think about the stat's "ceiling" so to speak.
    When people say I have hit the 540 "cap" that makes me think that there's no reason to take the stat higher, when in reality, 540 is the "floor", or the base of the stat, and that additional defense rating is a viable option and even encouraged.

/signed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"In other news, Sarth 3D makes me want to stab kittens." - Horacio

Indeed...I like the idea of adding soft to the description, so that people know it's not a stopping point, but other than that I don't think it needs a change.

Def Minimum wins!!!

<3 Ciderhelm's 561 def!!!! /drool
    /readycheck
    /cast Charge

people don't know how to keep it in their pants for a little bit before exploding all over my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I have no problem with it. Just think of it as meaning 'Defence soft cap', along the lines of the soft caps for hit for various classes.

It's certainly nothing to get one's knickers in a twist about.

Yes, you know that, but what about the person that is brand new to the site, or the person who did a google search and got lead here and see "Tankspot says 540 is the soft cap"

Thats a lot different then seeing "Tankspot says 540 is the minimum. People that are regulars to the site and know what they are doing wont be affected by this, but this is something that would help out the community as a whole.

lol Opti, that should be news.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Trade channel question : whats def cap?
    Trade channel answer : 540
    Me in trade channel : there is no such thing as a def cap.

prot pally wispers me
    pally - the def cap is 540
    me - a cap implies that there is no benefit to have more beyond a certain point. like for the hit cap.
    me - where in reality, at least for a warrior, it can be argued that stacking defense beyond 540 is more beneficial then stacking dodge or parry.
    pally - no, dodge and parry come from agility not defense.
    me - from that last statement i see you have no clue what you are talking about and i will nod and smile at any statement you make in the future.

minimums please

Quote Originally Posted by Brunson View Post
    Trade channel question : whats def cap?
    Trade channel answer : 540
    Me in trade channel : there is no such thing as a def cap.

prot pally wispers me
    pally - the def cap is 540
    me - a cap implies that there is no benefit to have more beyond a certain point. like for the hit cap.
    me - where in reality, at least for a warrior, it can be argued that stacking defense beyond 540 is more beneficial then stacking dodge or parry.
    pally - no, dodge and parry come from agility not defense.
    me - from that last statement i see you have no clue what you are talking about and i will nod and smile at any statement you make in the future.

You see, if we can get this term changed, we can dispell some ignorance.... I call for cider to make a judgement on high and ban the phrase

the term 'def soft cap' adds 5 extra keystrokes, and since we're talking about a community that has problem adding in the y and o to you I'm not going to bet anything on that term surviving. Def min, might have a chance perhaps but for myself I just never use the term, I use uncritable instead. It rolls off easy in speaking so even though it adds an extra couple of keystrokes you don't have to hit that pesky spacebar. Sure I'm speccing for avoidance in my choice of language but there isn't a lot of times the RNG has any connection to speech so I'm probably safe.
    Farothin of Rexxar <Avaledan>
    Paranoia is just another word for longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    You win the prize today, this is exactly how I feel about this. Speaking of ignorance though, I get sick of being asked if I have 540 def for pug heroic 5mans. It turns into this whole thing when I say, "no, I run at 537 def for 5mans." I think I should just start lying, "Sure, I have 540." and save everybody the time.

EDIT: Just to take this to the natural end... defense minimum implies you cannot tank below it and that is not true. As in, I tanked four quarters of Naxx at 425 def before my tank gear was up to snuff and neither of our two tanks logged in that night. Maybe we are looking for "Respectable defense" and then we have gone from a precise word to an ambiguous word. All hope is lost at this point.

Keep on looking for that perfect phrase no one will ever butcher though. As for myself, I think I will just be content and go back to farming herbs.
    Last edited by cdweller0; 01-20-2009 at 05:04 PM.

Yeah, it bugs me, too.

I bet a guy yesterday in trade 1000g that he wasn't defense capped like he was insisting - shame.

The same guy was arguing that a tank with 539 defense would wipe the raid repeatedly while one with 540 would sail through.

What can you do...

I had someone tell me that since i was at 547 defense that i was critable again, because you have to be _exactly_ at 540 or you shouldn't bother with defense at all.. this was the same FFB mage that pushed out 800 DPS.

+ Reply to Thread