+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Level 80. 540 Defense capped. What's next?

Level 80. 540 Defense capped. What's next?

Well, that's my question really. Where do I go next? Should I just add enchants to my equipment and slots and such.

Should I get better equipment?

What stats should I focus on besides stamina?

What to do, what to do?

The World of Warcraft Armory

That's my armory page to make it easier for you guys to give me advice.

Thanks in advance

Missing armory link.

and we have a forum for this. I'll move it there.

And 540 isn't a cap, it's a minimum, defense is still probably the best avoidance stat in the game to stack because it spreads out avoidance to help with diminishing returns, grants you Miss which is the best avoidance in game, and gives you added Shield Block Rating which helps in smoothing out mitigation.

Can't say about stamina, your armory link is not present.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

to be honest the answer is all of the above, the job of a tank is to ensure that you are always optimizing your gear, through enchants/gems and upgrades you should always be working at improving what you have. in terms of what stats stam is a good starting place, expertise and hit rating are great for threat.
    Altaholism is my drug of choice.

I can only tell u what I personally did, ran the reg 80 dungeons til I got what i wanted. ran heroics til I got what I wanted(still in progress). Tank in raids.

One word of advice, don't vend any gear after u get an upgrade, some of the "better" items can actually drop u below 540, you'll have to do some mixing and matching, or at least I did.

yes work on stamina for tanking 10 and 25 mans at least 26000 health no buffs

Just start running heroics or any lvl 80 instance your on the right path with the wrymrest tabard. Food and potion buffs will give you enough stam for the easier heroics maybe a few armor kits. but other then that it's just like BC go work for your gear.

I'd worry bout hit/expertise as the gear upgrades are gonna stam you up anyway. And keep in mind you only need 535 for heroics so try switching out different gear. Vault pugs as an OT are the easiest way to get raid gear as it's a /sleep thru raid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

also being a blacksmith also help for the added bracers and glove gem slots and KOMATSU is correct save all ur def drops or aquiered gear i have 540 def and have 26000 health no buffs and waiting for the colossus paldrons to drop so i can work in 27000 health

so youve reached your 540 cap altho stamina is very impotant allowing you to take larger hits from mulitple mobs avoidence should probably be your next step
    Dodge is all to often judged as the best avoidence stat when in all actuality its not
    Parry on the other hand provides no damage taken and a slight increase of speed on your next attack
    shield block is probably the last priority simply because you still take damage
    as for stamina get the best gems and enchants that are available to you
    run for the best heroic gear pre raid via heroics
    to make things a bit more clear
    540cap>avoidance>stamina
    ive heard this from meny people they would rather have a tank with 25k health and loads of avoidence then a tank with 30k health and minimal avoidance

very true rubinext but u will need a good healer to get threw all that heroics

can everyone please, just stop saying 540 CAP, and say 540 Minimum. for the love of GOD it's not a cap it's a minimum.

the truth is you want to balance your overall stats, don't stack any thing too much of anything, that's the beauty of defense, it smooths out your avoidance very evenly.

and your comment about parry is true but it is a terrible avoidance stat to try to obtain for 2 reasons:
    1) it costs substantially more parry rating to get 1% avoidance than dodge/defense
    2) it is set at 47% diminishing returns cap, so it gets hit by DRs substantially faster than say dodge where the cap is 88%

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    can everyone please, just stop saying 540 CAP, and say 540 Minimum. for the love of GOD it's not a cap it's a minimum.

the truth is you want to balance your overall stats, don't stack any thing too much of anything, that's the beauty of defense, it smooths out your avoidance very evenly.

and your comment about parry is true but it is a terrible avoidance stat to try to obtain for 2 reasons:
    1) it costs substantially more parry rating to get 1% avoidance than dodge/defense
    2) it is set at 47% diminishing returns cap, so it gets hit by DRs substantially faster than say dodge where the cap is 88%
    I can see the armory link, is it still missing for you?

Anyway thanks everyone for the help and advice.

yeh it's showing now.

I cant get my healers to stop wineing about the min 540 so i switch gear on them to see if they can handle the 535 min on heroic any suggestions would help ?

For the record if u have that much dodge or parry your haxxing

i merely stated that parry being a better mitigation stat opposed to dodge for the simple fact of increased speed
    granted dodge is easier to attain but shield block rating is just as easy
    doesnt mean its hands down the best stat to go for
    tho just starting to work on your avoidence gear dodge would probably be the easiest to attain simply doto the gear available

Just think of it as a 'soft cap' rather than a 'hard cap', in that it is much less effective after a certain point, but not useless.

how it is "much less effective"? it provides the same avoidance, just no more crit immunity. It still scales as well as dodge in terms of pure avoidance and adds bonus SBR.

and rubinxt the mere fact that parry costs so much and gets hit by DR so much is why parry ISNT a better avoidance stat (not mitigation) than dodge or defense, because you're sacrificing a LOT to gain a minimal gain (40% faster swing speed DEPENDING on where you are on your swing timer) since we mostly use fast swinging weapons anyways.

and yes you are "haxxing" because they are set as the absolutely curving maximum, the rating required to get that % diverges to infinity so it is impossible to get that kind of avoidance, in fact it'd be hard pressed to get even half.

Lizana is going to freak out over the title of this thread

how it is "much less effective"?
    it provides the same avoidance, just no more crit immunity.
    There you go

I'd say that it is slightly less effective, not "much" less effective, to say something is a cap or that it is Much less effective, is misleading. To the tankspot community and regulars sure we probably know better, but for new tanks who come to our site and read this "lolmisswordingcmonguys" they get the wrong impression and is exactly how rumors fly about quickly and incorrectly.

Sorry to bug in my thread again for another question.

But what are the hit-rating and expertise minimums I have to reach?

See how I used minimum now?

+ Reply to Thread