+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Block vs Dodge/parry

Block vs Dodge/parry

im really curious as to what kinda block should my pally have? i was think because holy shield is 30% to block should i go more for dodge/parry than block?

The World of Warcraft Armory

What set of gear are you working on?

Your set of gear for boss who do lots of fast small hits (Lotheb) and for trash Block>dodge>parry

For hard hitting bosses (Patchwerk) dodge>parry>block

For bosses with lost of unavoidable damage (Malygos) stam>all

Block value is one of the greatest assets to Pally tanks atm. With the 30% from HS and the large amounts on BR/BV on tear sets we can get to the magic 102.4% pretty easily. In addition to that Def is one of the best avoidance stats and in most cases is more valuable then straight dodge or parry.

For heroics would it be Def>Block>Dodge>Parry for a Paladin?
    Ive been confused on the order for sometime, been looking through threads for Paladin stat orders.
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it. -Winston Churchill

as far as i've seen with my paladin I'd go with Block > Def > dodge/parry. A lot of trash can be full or almost full blocked, and getting to 102.4% really helps with that. If your at 102.4% obviouslly block is useless and start going for full avoidance.

ked

what's 102.4%?

Alright, thanks. Ill keep that in mind now.
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it. -Winston Churchill

so yeah im gunna bump this thead to prevent spamming with similar thoughts or ideas.
    my paladin (hodur) has got some ok gear and what not but i am wondering about dodge and block and parry and such. currently i have the lavanthor trinket equiped that gives block. but im wondering if i could get the badge trinket that gives dodge?

also any tips on TPS would be great lol i feel as if im lacking TPS : /

102.4% is the amount of dodge+parry+block+miss you need to never take a full 'hit' from bosses, it will always be avoided or blocked.

block rating is a decent stat..at the beginning but you really wanna push away from that ignore that blocking deals holy dmg for threat block rating is a "trash" pull stat and thats when you want the value to satack as well alil off topic hit is >expertise for a pally as well not sayin you dont benefit from it armory wafflez of alexstrasza if you wish
    tankadin out

well right now my def+block+parry+dodge is at 90% (thats while Holy Shield is on) and to be honest i dont know how to increase it w/o taking a hit on something. i.e. like i KNOW alot you experience this aswell but for instance i got a new pair of tank pants from loatheb on 10man naxx. and when i replaced my bolstered leggings i took a big hit to my def and had to put a 16 def gem in them and lost the socket bonus(+6 defense)

Don't worry about the 102.4% until you hit into Naxx gear. It's almost impossible to get before without some either obscure loot choices, and/or huge amounts of effort. Hell, even in mostly Naxx 10 and 25 gear, I still juggle pieces in and out to hit it; and for some fights I just say "Screw it" and go with more HPs (Malygos 25, Sartharion with Drakes, etc).

What 102.4 does, is removes "Hits" off the attack table, similar to how it used to remove "Crushing Blows." What this does is ensures that every attack will either be dodged, parried, a miss or blocked; and as such mitigated by your block value. This makes it so all the hits you take are very predictable, and thus easier to heal (It's much easier to heal a tank taking consistantly 10k damage every 10 seconds for a minute; compared to one that takes 15k in 10 seconds, then 3k in 10 seconds, then 5k in 10 seconds, then 17k, etc).

Ideally, you will want Three "Sets" of gear. One that stacks Block Value and Block rating, this is a great threat set and is amazing for trash or heroics. One that stacks EH, this is great for mobs that have single devastating attacks that must be lived through (Malygos, Sartharion, Kel'thuzad, etc), and the third is a combination of the two for normal use.

+ Reply to Thread