+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior Tank Gemming.

Warrior Tank Gemming.

Not sure if this is the right place on the forums but i figured it was since it has to do with your gear. First off here is my armor The World of Warcraft Armory

i was close to getting hit caped i was at 7.75 until I got new "upgrades" and im now at 5.70 and i was i wondering if i should gem for that hit back. Also my exp was at 20. Recently got 400bs and added some 16+exp gems and now at 22. i was told exp cap was 27. A friend i was talking to was telling me (DK Tank) and he said not to worry that ill get the hit and exp as i get better gear. So now i don't know whether to replace some stam gems for some +hit and +exp. Ill lurk this wonderful site to try to find my answers but id also like your output on my situation.

-thanks in advance.

Are you having trouble holding threat? If not, I wouldn't worry so much about losing a little Expertise or Hit, and I wouldn't trade Stamina for it.

i havnt been having trouble hold treat *knocks on wood* but from what i read on these forums is that hit and exp caps are like a must to tank successfully or atleast not feel pressured that dps is ganking up on your threat.

Must have is a relative term. Somebody entering heroics in crafted blues has no prayer of either being both:
    1) Hit/Expertise capped, and
    2) Viable (i.e. not Raid Boss Droppings, after they ROFL stomped you, ate you and crapped you out after getting a bad case of the runs)

If you are entering Nax10, Just pray that you live and nobody dies on the pull. As your gear gets better, you will get more survivability/hit/expertise.

If you are doing Ulduar 25 hard modes and you are not hit/expertise capped, please stop buying accounts from Ebay. You will kill your 25 man raid, and waste the time of 24 other people, aside from failing.

I suspect most people fall in between these two scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post
    Must have is a relative term. Somebody entering heroics in crafted blues has no prayer of either being both:
    2) Viable (i.e. not Raid Boss Droppings, after they ROFL stomped you, ate you and crapped you out after getting a bad case of the runs)

If you are entering Nax10, Just pray that you live and nobody dies on the pull. As your gear gets better, you will get more survivability/hit/expertise.

If you are doing Ulduar 25 hard modes and you are not hit/expertise capped, please stop buying accounts from Ebay. You will kill your 25 man raid, and waste the time of 24 other people, aside from failing.

ive tanked naxx10 just fine. and what your saying is not to gem for my exp and that it will all come from my gear (once i get better gear)? and this thread was in the request of help on what to do on my "upgrades" that i recently picked up, because they took me further away from the caps.

You need to be a bit more in touch with how you feel you are tanking. If you have no threat issues then you shouldn't worry about expertise/hit caps. I know that I've tanked just fine without a lot of hit or expertise.

Sometimes being hit capped can be very important.. imagine being the only person in the raid with a reliable fear break and being on solo interrupt duties on the cat lady in ulduar.

Then imagine shes on 10%.

Then imagine you miss your interrupt

Whenever I upgrade, I will replace gems or enchants to compensate for what is gained/lost. Personally I like maintaining hit/expertise over any stamming because I believe in all the threat I can so people can let loose.

As the items come in, just adjust as needed. Balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulk View Post
    Sometimes being hit capped can be very important.. imagine being the only person in the raid with a reliable fear break and being on solo interrupt duties on the cat lady in ulduar.

Then imagine shes on 10%.

Then imagine you miss your interrupt
    General Vezax *cough*

a missed interrupt = wipe if the tank isnt quick on the shield wall

Im not expertise or hit capped and were up to yogg 25 so I'd have to highly disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by joshrocker1 View Post
    Im not expertise or hit capped and were up to yogg 25 so I'd have to highly disagree.
    Agreed. I'm at the same level of progression, and I'm not capped. I'm close, but not quite. I currently tank most bosses at 5.28% Hit and 7.75% Dodge/Parry reduction.

Sometimes it's just how the gear falls, and you should take Hit and Expertise where you can get it, but don't do so at the expense of huge upgrades in survivability. The Ulduar crafted belt and boots for example. These are massive survivability pieces but don't have any Expertise, Hit, or Block Value on them. But they are best in slot pieces.

I'm not going to not wear the crafted belt because I have to be hit capped. I have the badge belt with 56 Hit on it in my bag, and I can swap it on as needed. And I do swap on a couple of Hit pieces for Auriaya for example to get me to the cap.

Also, in fights like Hodir/Vezax, where threat is an issue because of the hyper buffs people get... tell your hunters and rogues to help you out with some Misdirects and Tricks. Makes a huge difference. Those abilities are there for a reason. Yes, threat is the tank's responsibility for the most part. But others in the raid can help out, too.

You should also have your pallies passing out Hand of Salvation in those fights as needed to the higher dps hybrids who have no threat dump. It's a permanent 20% threat reduction for each person it's cast on, and has a 2 min. cooldown. If you're running with 2-3 pallies, they can make a big difference. Have your dps call out for them as needed.

Threat management is a group effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    General Vezax *cough*

a missed interrupt = wipe if the tank isnt quick on the shield wall
    Indeed - not so bad on vezax though as you don't need to fear break so we had some rouges and DK's also interrupting.

+ Reply to Thread