+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Multiple Target Warrior Tanking

Multiple Target Warrior Tanking

Hello again everyone! It's your favorite learner here, asking for more info.

Single target tanking, I've got that one pretty much wrapped up. I'm satisfied with the single target flowchart that I found on this site, it's been a great help to me. Now the question is...what's the trick to holding a pack pull? Is it as simple as Thunder Clap, Cleave, Shockwave, and the AoE Taunt....or am I missing something?

Thanks again!
    - K

charge > tclap > align and shockwave > tab target shield slam and revenge > Tclap whenever its up. spam cleave.

if you just want to keep things on you and its not actually AOE, just do singletarget with Tclaps every cooldown.

another thing that really helps is blow shield block right away increased damage shield hits = easier to keep aggro

If you mark a target for dps, assuming they pay attention, there isn't really any need to tab off to other mobs - your cleaves, shockwaves and thunderclaps will hold aggro on the non-skulled mobs while you perform your single target rotation on the skull.

If you're AoEing packs of course you'll need to tab through the others to distribute the threat more.

I'd hotkey the skull mark so that you can easily throw one up, or you can try using an addon like Baud mark.

And if you raidng and dpsers cant resist AoEing just bring AoE tank...why overstreaching...

For multiple target tanking... this works for me... and i hope it can help you out. assuming you have 5 targets (1=skull, 2=X, 3=Square, 4 = triangle, 5=circle). Charge right in at skull then shield slam, tclap, Shockwave then click on X rev and HS, then square with dev then tclap, then triangle with HS and dev, then circle with rev, HS or SS when up, then tclap. Cleave when able at different targets. and always keep tclap and shockwave on cooldown... just click or tab between the targets and use skills that can be used. Keep in mind though not to forget your primary target. i have a mouse over devastate cleave macro to make it easier to multi tank (also acts as a rage dump). Sometimes i just mouse over tragets and hit the macro while in the middle of my threat rotation especially for more than 5 targets. just be ready to heroic throw, taunt, intervene, charge at targets that get away, or challenging shout if things get out of hand. Rinse and repeat. Good luck and hope this can be of some use to those who read it. Peace!
    Last edited by Zigg; 01-20-2009 at 06:09 AM.
    Tanking since 23 March 2008...

The glyph of sunder armor and devestate is kinda nice too. One of them put's 2 applications of sunder on the target while the other one also sunder's an additional mob next to your current target and since you can hit HS then Devestate, your Dev will actually hit first right before your HS. Just be sure to que up HS before you Dev!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltusk View Post
    And if you raidng and dpsers cant resist AoEing just bring AoE tank...why overstreaching...
    I don't really see it as strictly AoE tank territory, Warriors with a proper rotation (and even better a set of gear that's build with AOE tanking in mind) can be completely viable AoE tanks for pretty much everything out there with just a few tweaks in how you approach the encounter.

The rotation discussed Charge -> Tclap -> Adjust -> Shockwave is a method that I very much recommend, throw in a shield block against melee heavy groups tends to provide good threat along with continued cleaves, and Tclaps, and you should be golden.

Would the new glyph of cleaving (hits one more target) be recommended now?

And if so, would you replace - Glyph of Devastate - Item - World of Warcraft or Glyph of Sunder Armor - Item - World of Warcraft?

I actually was using the Cleaving glyph, based upon the patch giving it what it gave it... However, after patch I decided to switch back to the Devastate glyph. Since I had been using it prior to patch (with just a 5 rage discount) I found that I was holding aggro just fine without the additional hit it gives post patch, but the devastate glyph gave a radical increase in both threat and dps. So.. I get the increase in threat & dps, and all I lose from what I had before is 5 rage each cleave, and rage is usually not a problem when MT'ing or Heroic'ing.

I aoe tank everything in the current content (trash wise).
    (assume multiple casters in the pack and a few hunters to make it really interesting)

0 sec - heroic throw a caster, charge hunter, walk over to other other caster, queue up cleave, thunderclap, reach caster and shield bash.

1.5 sec - walk through stunned hunter backwards, bringing everything in front of me, queue up cleave and hit shockwave.

3.0 sec - shield slam skull, queue up cleave.

So in the time it take a tankadin to throw his shield and the mobs to reach melee with him, I've already got solid aggro on everything and the DPS is still going "whoa, where did the tank run off to?"

You can consider Sunder glyph as that is working out very nicely for multi target tanking.
    P.S. It does work on devasate.

+ Reply to Thread