+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Pally Tanking

New to Pally Tanking

hi, im new to tanking and pally tanking too. ive got some good gear. im def capped. but when i run Heroics i still take massive amounts of dmg and im wondering why. could u please check out my armory and tell me what should be changed or adjusted to solve this problem or if this is how its supose to be. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...nace&n=Bajingo

thanks

Your block raiting is a little on the low side, but i think what you are spiking in damage from is probably caster mobs. Also make sure you spam Holy Shield and make sure mobs are infront of you at all times.

okay my block is about yours, and real it is spikes from casters, so they should always be downed first right?

and also what should i do in order to increase block, should i change gems over to Block rating

What's your rotation?

Normally its caster mobs/healing mobs to die first, then melee.
    Dont change gems to block rating, you will get it with gear.

lol thats the thing. since im new ive read some but dont know a good rotation, ill cast seal of courpt then with my shield, then HS then when they close the gap concecret then use spells as there CD come up. if theres a good rotation id love to know

so your saying save my gem slots as they are? and hows my unbuffed HP and chants on gear.

bump

So your best block addition is Laventhor's drop from heroic VH. To equip it, though, you are going to need to drop seal of the pantheon and up your defense from other gear which means dropping some of your stam enchants. One easy thing you can do is either get the Son's of Hodir or Scyrer/Aldor shoulder enchant and switch some of your gems to def/stam rather than pure stam. If it drops for you, pauldrons of the colossus from Grundak have better blockcap stats than the dwarf smith ones you have. The epic pants from H VH may help you fill some of the post-SoP defense gap. The Saronite stuff is like crack for early tanks. It stacks tonnes of defense, but not much else. You want better avoidance, but need to be mindful of not losing uncrit. For a list of pally progression gear, check out Maintankadin :: View topic - Zamach's WoTLK Gear List

One thing on the talent side that you must must must fix is judgement of the just. 20% attack speed reduction is the single best mitigation talent that pally's have and its only 2 points. Sacrifice one of your improved judgement points and and a benediction point to get there. If you are main tanking you should be getting more than enough heals to make mana not an issue. As a side note, if you are running out of mana, run blessing of sanctuary rather than kings. It has a built in 3% damage reduction which does apply to spells. Not as good as kings, but not as simple as just a mana regen either.

For the basic pally rotation search for 96969 rotation here/maintankadin/google. You are going to want to switch to seal of vengence, which along with the glyph of vengence will substantially increase your expertise and reduce damage/increase threat.

In caster heavy groups don't be afraid to throw shadow resist aura (or fire/frost) if you don't have a priest to cast it on you.

Given how many heroics I had to grind to get my red sword, i'm hugely jealous that you got it while 'new to tanking'. Good luck and enjoy.....

thanks for the help but couple things. i already have the pauldrons of the colossus. and im Horde so seal of corupt is same as veng. other then that should i wait till i have to get my def back up after SoP once i get Laventhor's drop or do it now?

I would start upping your defense so that you'll have enough to switch when the talisman drops. Worse case it will up your avoidance/block while you wait for the trinket. With your drop luck, you might get repelling charge first from Naxx. Until you get block capped (102.4% avoidance) your 'cheapest' stat to stack is block rating. If that does happen, you can use the extra defense to swap out your saronite gear for stuff with better avoidance, but less defense.

I find that I prefer dodge/blockrating at about the same quantity (until DR), but will take both over parry. That is somewhat controversial as theoretically the best thing to do is rush to block cap and then adjust. Maybe its a theory/pratice difference, maybe its just a style thing on my part, but I like my avoidance. Sorry on vengence/corruption thing, miss on my part. Glyph works with both if you don't have it.

Oh, one thing I should say, if my armory looks a little odd, i'm toying with a caster boss spec with the stam trinket I usually run with the valor medal.

okay so keep my dodge where it is now, and change the gems over to up my def. (ill be running VH like crazy till it drops). so use def gems or block gems?

and this 102.4% is that buffed or just me standing there solo no buffs

102.4 is buffed. Here's a good pally tanking gem guide Maintankadin :: View topic - List of WotLK Gear Enchants and Gems (Feat. Digren's Guide). Mix and match as you see fit, but the enduring forest emerald is your best bet to up defense without giving up too much stam. On the upside on the VH runs, you'll probably get the pants as well, which will be nice.

Don't forget the talent change....

okay im gunna do the talent change, and yeah the pants would be great too. thanks for all your help with the guides and such.

my main is a level 80 warrior and I'm thinking of turning my lolret (who's at 72) into a tankadin. I can tank on my main, but have always wanted to try out pally tanking. Anyone got any suggestions and to what I can expect?

In a post 3.0 world, a decent amount of fun, though you'll be jonesing for shield of righteousness until you hit 75. To try it on easy mode, do it now before the patch comes out and you'll have a get out of jail free card on threat by judging light. What you'll miss:
    - No ranged damage, particularly single target (glyph can fix that, but don't)
    - Spell reflect/interrupt
    - Fewer instant attacks (particularly pre 75)
    - Need to get used to taunt mechanics. I think its better, but different.

What you'll love:
    - insta-aggro on multi mobs through frisbee
    - undead will seem like christmas candy, just can't have enough of them.
    - better block mitigation will give the ability to drag groups of mobs around that look more like the groupies following rolling stones, that an orderly pull.
    - Heals when soloing
    - Rez when PuGing
    - You'll find yourself saying things like, 'you know I bet I can handle those 13 elites all at once without a healer' a lot more often.

I think it was Borean tundra there's a pull that has 50 iron dwarf's (non-elites) that endlessly respawn in a cave. You are meant to sneak in with a disguise and listen to a conversation. Being able to go back in the cave and sit there and pull the group and AoE them down. Priceless......

+ Reply to Thread