+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cancelled Raids

My guild has attempted 25 man OS three days in a row now and have had to kill it all three times. The worse part is that we don't have th numbers for a full guild run and are bringing in between 5 and 9 PUGers to fill the raid. We then end up locking people to a raid that we can't finish due to lag issues and this makes us look bad.
    The problem doesn't seem to be restricted to just 25-man or even 10-man content. After calling our 2nd OS attempt I went into a heroic AN to help get some gear for a friend's alt. The priest had 5 second instant casts and we couldn't even get through the first boss despite 4 of the 5 of us being way overgeared for the place.
    I haven't even played aside from failed attempts at instances/raids in the last week, and I usually play every evening.

Quote Originally Posted by loquatious View Post
    There is some confusion based on the Blue post.

Wintergrasp has been identified as a culprit for *world* lag.

The Naxx Lag is something special and different. When you are in naxx you are on a instance server in any case. Supposedly they have plans to fix that in the next patch as well.
    While they *MAY* say that, fact is - when wintergrasp is in full effect and half of the server is logging into to try and win - it does seem to impact everything.

At least on tanaris

Yeah, overall server lag was bad last night. I mailed a ton of ore to my JC to prosepect before the raid in Dalaran and it was brutal tryignt o get crap out of the mail box. After the raid was called, I renewed my quest for the Essence of Gossamer which turned out to be a pointless 3 badge run but I guess orbs are quasi useful. But even there I experienced some very minor but noticable lag hiccups.

I can't help but think its not connected somehow.

Last Wednesday was terribly laggy. Last Thursday was fine. This week Wednesday was pretty much ok but Thursday was the worst yet. Someone with more knowledge of such things might have a better explanation than I do. /shrug.

The bottom line is that there is a serious issue, Blizzard knows about it, lets see what they do to address it.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Having all the same issues in regards to lag with our guild runs as well. Naxx 25 and maly 25. No cancellations yet though. We tend to try a few times and if we get frustrated we move on to another wing, instance or what not. For Maly it tends to be a huge issue once phase 2 starts and the multitude of mobs spawn along with all the spell effects. Not hardware related either since everyone seems to be experiencing it at once.

Sure hope blizz figures this out soon though.

Its not always Bizz's fault. Lag sometimes is just due to congestion on the net as a whole.

During our attempts on sartharion 3d every raid has been called due to lag. The problem is pretty obvious. We have a guy dual boxing with an alliance toon on the server, and the lag always starts up when another group zones in to OS. Everyones latency instantly jumps 100-150ms the instant another group zones in.

Solution : we try to push back our raids to when nobody else is in OS and it works, however by that time its late and people are tired and we never get some decent attempts in with our A team all there.

I don't know much about technical aspects of servers and such, but I'm assuming that since Naxx is easily puggable now and every level 80 is in their that it's clogging up the pipeline. I did a /who warrior naxx last night and 49 showed up. Addin the the horde side also, and you probabaly have about 500+ people in their at night per server (high pop servers)

I have not done many naxx25 runs, but i have done alot of naxx10 and they never have any kind of lag which is a bit odd. I have noticed that i get the "your addons got a crapload of fail, you better turn them off" message often when raiding even if they are just updated. Makes me wonder if addons are some of the source to 25man raiding lag.

Sorry I did not see this thread, I posted a similar one here:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/4...c-failure.html
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizana View Post
    Its not always Bizz's fault. Lag sometimes is just due to congestion on the net as a whole.

This is true. But in regards to this thread everyone is referring to, it is a Blizzard issue IMO.

Congestion is normal at peak hrs. But when it happens over and over again on specific fights in specific conditions its a server side issue. The main problems we see atm with our server are; Thadius fight, until people die from lag boss then it starts to subside and Maly fight phase 2.

Other than those two fights it seems to be failry consistent and easily tolerable conditions on Perenolde anyhow.

EDIT: I will also add. If we have issues on these 2 fights we usually come back to them at a much later time when peak hrs are over. This does indeed tend to help but not solve the problem at hand. I dont deny its congestion in the instances either. I just think that this issue should be resolved by blizzard rather then an "Oh well, its a peak hr thing." Im not technical in the least so I have no idea how they would fix it or if it is even possible.

So, 3.0.8 has not done anything to alleviate our raid's DC issues. Things are actually worse now than they were before. One third of the raid, including myself, DCing on patchwerk?!? I can almost understand on fights with alot of adds or aoe damage etc., but patchwerk!?!

Part of our problem may be that we are raiding at a peak time on our server. It sucks because we really have no choice on our raid schedule. Any later and it's too late for the east coasters, any earlier and the west coasters aren't home from work yet.

We didn't schedule a raid for patch day, we know better than that, but we had to call Wednesday night and Thursday night's raids after thirty minutes because of mass-DC's during boss attempts, patchwerk and anub specifically.

Blizz REALLY needs to get this figured out.

I called Naxx last night.

Just for measure, last night:
    We dropped patchwerk in 25 man in 3 minutes 30 seconds.
    We wiped on Grobbulus at 40% because nobody could move.

So between killing Patchwerk and starting Grobbulus, the server got unusable.

We went and did Sartharion. It went fine. (Was sapphiron, not enough coffee, sorry for the confusion)

I think the problem is when you get a bunch of mobile aoe effects (like the slimes on Grobbulus, or the charges on Thaddius) the fights completely lag out. So the straightforward fights, like Patchwerk don't lag, while the really interesting fights lag to unplayability.
    Last edited by Lyci; 01-23-2009 at 08:09 AM.

Its dissapointing how the blue posters at blizz swore left and right that wintergrasp and arena events weren't impacting world servers or naxx when low and behold were on hour 3.5 of a 4 hour shutdown - the 3rd this week to fix issues that are lingering wintergrasp/arena issues impacting the entire realm.

sometimes i wish blizz would just state the truth. They're on a delete rampage in the forums right now. sort of sad.

we all know its difficult and complex system to manage but they should know were not blithering idiots by now.

Quote Originally Posted by nips View Post
    I have not done many naxx25 runs, but i have done alot of naxx10 and they never have any kind of lag which is a bit odd. I have noticed that i get the "your addons got a crapload of fail, you better turn them off" message often when raiding even if they are just updated. Makes me wonder if addons are some of the source to 25man raiding lag.
    10's seem to work fine because there aren't as many proximity calculations to work out for fights like Thaddius.

Consider for a moment that on Thaddius, it has to do a lot more math on a 25 man than a 10 man. So 10's are a lot easier to compute for than 25's.

For the 25 man, it has to calculate the distance between a player and every other player, to determine if they take damage or get a buff. It takes 325 calculations to check that once if it's optimized properly, and 625 if it isn't. In a 10-man, it takes 55, or 100. 10's are much smaller. Keep in mind it's doing that calculation every second, for every group in Naxx.

Heh. One solution to the problem would be to disable 25-man naxx for awhile until they can fix the problem. Or remove slimes from Grobbulus (and increase his HP) and the charge mechanic from Thaddius (and decrease his HP). Those are the only "hard" calculations it does really. The rest are pretty linear.

Quote Originally Posted by blahism View Post
    we all know its difficult and complex system to manage but they should know were not blithering idiots by now.
    I find humor in someone who cannot use the contraction "we're" correctly to be stating that they are not in fact blithering idiots.

However, with Blizzard, the government, bosses at work, people in authority in general should really not be lying to us in general. Keeping secrets, for the sake of protection usually, is ok sometimes, but outright lying is a huge spat to the face from organizations like the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendo View Post
    I find humor in someone who cannot use the contraction "we're" correctly to be stating that they are not in fact blithering idiots.
    I find humor in people who are grammer police

(intentional spelling error included for your own nitpicking of character generalizations rather than subject matter)

However, with Blizzard, the government, bosses at work, people in authority in general should really not be lying to us in general. Keeping secrets, for the sake of protection usually, is ok sometimes, but outright lying is a huge spat to the face from organizations like the above.
    Keeping secrets from paying customers about the availability of using the service they pay for. Wow, sort of backs up my argument about people choosing strange ways to defend blizzard and assinate the characters of those who question anything.

thanks for proving my point!

I'm not sure it's just peak times. I was seeing instance crashes and lagtastic fun at 11pm-12am last night.

Theres a big culture in the USA of suspicion, conspiracy, and the right of the individual to stand tall and call out the truth as it is. I mean I dont blame the culture for distrusting its government for the last few years... but that's the topic of another forum altogether :P

This has turned into a funny thread, expressing a lot of that culture. The big bad corporation vs. the honest little guy etc etc. Its an archetype in the culture - just so you know this view is not necessarily something you came to on your own.

Personally I find Blizzard are supremely transparent, all the time, about whats going on and it constantly amazes me that many posters on the official forums (and at times on tankspot) like to insult Blizzard staff members out of nothing more than their own frustration.

We get heavy lag and Thaddius becomes unplayable in a way we aren't making berserk timer any more, with every ones cast timer halfed, and therefor their dps as well. Some people just freeze up and die. BUT that only seems to happen on wednesday so we moved Naxx farm to thursdays and do maly+sarth on wed no lag there

Quote Originally Posted by Stearns View Post
    Theres a big culture in the USA of suspicion, conspiracy, and the right of the individual to stand tall and call out the truth as it is. I mean I dont blame the culture for distrusting its government for the last few years... but that's the topic of another forum altogether :P

This has turned into a funny thread, expressing a lot of that culture. The big bad corporation vs. the honest little guy etc etc. Its an archetype in the culture - just so you know this view is not necessarily something you came to on your own.

Personally I find Blizzard are supremely transparent, all the time, about whats going on and it constantly amazes me that many posters on the official forums (and at times on tankspot) like to insult Blizzard staff members out of nothing more than their own frustration.
    You are 100% corrent, your social/political slant on some of the comments made in this thread do belong in an entirely different forum. Next time, make your irrelevant post over there.

How much or how little Blizzard is working on the issue, and how well they are communicating with us, is irrelevant to the information I was trying to share. The purpose of this thread was not to complain, but merely outline the problem and symptoms, in an attempt to find others with similar problems, specifically in 25-man raids. I wanted to know if it was just my guild/server experiencing 25% of raids disconnecting on bosses, or if there were others too.

I now know, thanks to the information shared by other tankspot members, that we were not alone. Without this information I might have falsly blamed my raiders for poor internet connections, buggy mods etc. I was, and am, quite certain that blizzard is using all the resources available to them to fix the problem.

For some good news, we were able to raid Sunday and Monday night, lag and disconnect free, easily clearing all of Naxx 25. It would seem that initial "hiccups" of 3.0.8 have been smoothed out. The real test will be tonight though, as Tuesdays have traditionally been worse.

+ Reply to Thread