+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trying to break into 10 man raids

Trying to break into 10 man raids

First here is a link to my Armory page http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Arygos&n=Fila Now I am not in my normal tanking set-up there but the only changes are I have another Tempered Saronite Belt with a +16 def Gem and I wear a Tempered Saronite Helm and with those 2 swaps I am at 541 Def. so I am over the 540 Def hump. I will be swaping over to the The Wyrmrest Accord Cloak of Peaceful Resolutions in a day or 2 and I was also thinking about making myself the Icebane Chest and putting at least (2) +16 def gems in 3 of the slots so I should still be above the 540 line in def. I guess I am thinking about the chest piece because I got shot down as an OT in 2 Nax 10 raids because I was not "EPIC" enough even though I think, and have been told, I am geared enough and have the stats to be able to do the job. The 79 Stam bump from the Icebane is also a nice addition to my HP. I have not made myself the Titansteel Helm because untill it get gems from the new patch I dont see it as better than my current Tempered Saronite. Am I crazy??????? Let me know what you would change to get to the off-tank then main tank position in Nax 10, thanks

You are fairly low on EH, so I would grind some heroics and try again. Until your HP reach 26-28k unbuffed (you don't need this to OT or MT Naxx tho) I would focus on reaching the defense cap, and then just stack stamina, stamina and stamina.

You have unenchanted items, and I would stick def on the cloak to give some room to swap in more EH oriented pieces of gear, like the epic crafted helm.

There is some fairly nice guides on this site as well

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/4...gear-list.html
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/4...ear-guide.html
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/3...gear-list.html

Everything I have is enchanted in my tanking gear, The helm shown in my Armory link right now is not the helm I tank in, that would be a Tempered Saronite Helm, that has the Arcanum of the Gladiator on it that adds 18 stam and 20 rel. That helm and my belt that has the +16 def gem puts me at 541 def as shown in my sig. I was looking at the Icebane Chest for 2 reasons, first its EPIC and second it has loads of stam built in and third with the 3 gem slots I can make up for the def lost from my current chest. I will make the Titansteel helm as soon as I can collect the rest of the titanium to make the 3 additional titansteel bars I need. All in all I guess the first change should be to the Titansteel Helm, who can turn down the +110 stam boost and a swap out to the Wyrmrest Accord Cloak of Peaceful Resolutions with its 19 def bump + the def chant. Hopefuly these changes will not drop me too far below 540 but I do have the gem slot on my gloves and bracers I can swap out to the +16 def if needed to recover.

wait, why are you using Gladiator for your helm?

get the head enchantment from argent crusade, get armor plated combat shotgun first.

Quote Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
    wait, why are you using Gladiator for your helm?
    It's the best head chant I have the rep to buy. I hit 70 3 weeks before WoLK came out and never had the time/chance to earn the rep to get the proper chant and with WoLK there are better ones to be had now and I am working on earning the rep needed. As for the Combat Plated Shotgun I am of the thought that a ranged weapon is low on the importance list for a tank, granted the stam is nice but I think I have more to work on first.

It's certainly better than your current, and CPS have all you want, defense and stamina - it even have a nice touch of threat stat?

Quote Originally Posted by Fila View Post
    As for the Combat Plated Shotgun I am of the thought that a ranged weapon is low on the importance list for a tank, granted the stam is nice but I think I have more to work on first.
    Everything is of importance. Judging by your gear, it looks like you're in the 'farm gap' between normal instances in heroics. You got the boots, but now it's time to look at those BoEs to chink the cracks in your gear. First of all, is to look for any piece with a defense improvement. (The gun applies.) The reason why is the tempered saronite, although good on defense, is something that will be replaced. Perhaps with lower values. You're a miner/blacksmith, so the titansteel helm as well as gold are not difficult to come by with some dedicated farming - even if you don't have artisan riding. That should also be a priority, unless you have another farm toon that has it.

Speaking as a raid leader, I wouldn't take you to naxx because your effective health is too low to risk it. Your avoidance stats are also too low to warrent a low health value. There are many other factors and nitpicky things I could elabourate on, but that would just cause ire then taken in the tone that I want to see you improve.

Your key reputations: Wyrmcrest, Argent Crusade, Sons of Hodir, and perhaps Kirin Tor (gloves) are higher then last time I saw them which is a sign you are at least working on them. However, for some reason the reputation I see the most work is the 'kalu'alak' which leaves me to wonder how important is getting into naxx for you? I'm not saying you shouldn't do what's fun (it is a game after all,) but I just want to know if you are going to take the advice you are asking for.

I would run heroics until your blue in the face, your avoidance is going to make your healers hate you. You may be able to clean out an easy wing but it will probably be an expensive adventure especially if your guild is new to raiding naxx period. If your filling in and they're willing to carry you well - do you part and gear up so your not holding them back!

"Speaking as a raid leader, I wouldn't take you to naxx because your effective health is too low to risk it. Your avoidance stats are also too low to warrent a low health value. There are many other factors and nitpicky things I could elabourate on, but that would just cause ire then taken in the tone that I want to see you improve.

Your key reputations: Wyrmcrest, Argent Crusade, Sons of Hodir, and perhaps Kirin Tor (gloves) are higher then last time I saw them which is a sign you are at least working on them. However, for some reason the reputation I see the most work is the 'kalu'alak' which leaves me to wonder how important is getting into naxx for you? I'm not saying you shouldn't do what's fun (it is a game after all,) but I just want to know if you are going to take the advice you are asking for."

Conreeaght, please feel free to give me any advice you want. My guild does not raid and I don't really want to leave them as they are a fun bunch of people to "play a game with" BUT if I am to truly become the tank I want to be I need to buckle down and work on gearing myself now. My best hope to start raiding is in a PUG or as a well known friend to a raiding guild and to do that I need to improve, hence my attendance on this wonderful website.
    My current focus for rep is with Wyrmcrest and then Argent Crusade. I have not done any dedicated work on the kalu'alak other than the snowpup daily for the quick gold as I was working in Dragonblight on my Wyrmcrest rep. I have just started farming ore, Cobalt and Saronite to sell in the AH to raise my funding lvl to get my Epic Flier.

Then at this point I'll assume you know what is laid out in front of you. After that, all it'll take is time. Post again when you need another benchmark, and happy farming.

Conreeaght, I have bumped my HP by 1.7k to 22.9k and my Armor by 455 points to a total of 22,468

New link to my armory page - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Arygos&n=Fila I am still farming HoL for the def trink and after I get that I will be able to regem and address some other issues. I do need some additional advice if possible, I tanked H VH in a PUG and had some trouble holding agro at times, to the point that one of the other members of the party was whining abit and had a few words to say. Needless to say we wiped on the last boss and that was it for that group, now I do not know if the healer just stopped healing me and let is fall apart but previous to the final boss we worked our way thru the rest of it without too many problems and only 1 death in the party. What can I do for now to increase my threat to mobs and bosses? I have enough wiggle room that I plan to replace the red gem in my chest piece with a +16 exp I think but I will wait to see what the pro's here have to say.
    Last edited by Fila; 02-03-2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typo

The best advice, like others have said, is to grind heroics. Currently 5 of my slots are filled with drops from heroics (since I've only been tanking at 80 about 2 weeks). Just start with the easier runs like Nexus and UK and work your way up until you get some decent drops and enough emblems to afford some of the vendor gear. After that, maybe try OT'ing Sarth and Arch, you can sometimes get lucky and score something from one of those.

As for the trouble you had pugging vh, everybody runs into these problems. Some (or most) pugs just don't work well together. Try to get some guildies to run with you regularly or make some good healer friends that you work well with.

Ok, I am looking for some additional advice on increasing my threat and what item to target for replacment after my belt. Here is the link to my curent armory page The World of Warcraft Armory I finally got the trinket from Loken and that let me replace some gems to work on upping my Expertise thus upping my threat. I have started to work on a few heroics and I think I will be targeting the [Waistguard of Living Iron] as the replacement for my current belt, the Yellow socket is nice to make up for the def loss and I can add the belt buckle to keep a + 24 Expertise there as well. If I get the [Ancient Aligned Girdle] or the [Waistguard of the Risen Knight] I will have to rethink things but I am getting to the point, I think, that I need to start working Nax to make any other major upgrads to my gear, yes or no?

My advice is to get Wyrmrest revered, for boots and chest piece, and possibly spend some time in Wintergrasp, for military gorgen neck piece. Also, visit Gundrak Heroic, for Pauldrons of the Colossus. Most of all, though, is get or make a weapon, and keep bringing hit rating up more. Once you have hit rating and expertise good, it's Naxx...

First thing, though, I'd get a weapon with at least 120dps, preferably a fast one. Or, if a bit slower, one with some power/hit rating, or maybe Agility on it. Can you make your own weapon? If so, there's a nice mace that's craftable--can't remember the name right now, sorry. Anyway, play UK, or UP heroic, and look for a weapon in those places...or maybe Oculus Heroic, if you're up to a nice challenge! Good hunting!

FWIW, I'm slightly less def than you, but more resilience, expertise and hit rating. I have been to Naxx twice, and was allowed to OT...I did a horrible job (my assessment), and got no drops. I've done all Heroic 5-mans, except Halls of Stone (got to second-to-last boss, and stuck on strategy). I'm not ready, for Naxx...and I'm accepting that, for now...but, only for now! (/challenging shout)

so your biggest issue with threat is likely strength which you've sacrificed with the icebane chest. As suggested above, swap with wyrmrest chest. You've got an 'odd' weapon at the moment, so assume you're just levelling the axe. A good tanking weapon should also contribute to your strength as well as def (and maybe hit).

Quote Originally Posted by headknocker View Post
    so your biggest issue with threat is likely strength which you've sacrificed with the icebane chest. As suggested above, swap with wyrmrest chest. You've got an 'odd' weapon at the moment, so assume you're just levelling the axe. A good tanking weapon should also contribute to your strength as well as def (and maybe hit).
    lol - I logged out with that cheap 1H ax equiped, and yes its just to lvl skill, I am currently using the Sword of Heartwrenching Slaughter from the Z'D quest. I ran HoL more time that I care to remember for the def trinket from Loken and the Eternaly Folded Blade never dropped so I am still on the lookout for something better. I made myself the chest, hey it was free and the Stam is great but it is planned to be replaced as soon as I get the rep required or I stumble across something better.
    Last edited by Fila; 02-18-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Fila View Post
    lol - I logged out with that cheap 1H ax equiped, and yes its just to lvl skill, I am currently using the Sword of Heartwrenching Slaughter from the Z'D quest. I ran HoL more time that I care to remember for the def trinket from Loken and the Eternaly Folded Blade never dropped so I am still on the lookout for something better. I made myself the chest, hey it was free and the Stam is great but it is planned to be replaced as soon as I get the rep required or I stumble across something better.

Hah! Ok, I feel better! I often log out, while still mounted, or even fishing (different equipment)...bet that looks impressive, eh?! Back off, or I'll snag ya with my fishing pole!! (Actually, there is a pole, from the Tuskar, that's pretty darn impressive! The World of Warcraft Armory
    Last edited by Blue; 02-18-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: glitched..

+ Reply to Thread