+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best in Slot Gear List

Best in Slot Gear List

There are a lot of new threads popping up with people asking if ITEM X is better than ITEM Y, and they are very valid questions because they're comparing items of equal stat value. And the answer in all cases is simply: pick the gear that's best for the current encounter.

So here is the gear list that I have compiled. There are 3 main sets: (1) Balanced set with Avoidance and Hit/Expertise, (2) Trash set with SBV/SBR and (3) Situational or Progression set with Avoidance. These are all Item Level 213+ so they would be considered best-in-slots for now, with the exception of trinkets and rings.

Rings and Trinkets are for you to choose depending on personal preference. There are nice DPS trinkets with AP, Hit, Crit or Strength that could fit well in the Trash set.

I would be interested to hear if anyone would wear something different for any of these sets. I haven't really grinded any numbers and I don't have all the gear below either, so it's sort of a wishlist with some theorycrafting on the side.

Standard MT Set vs Trash Set
    WEAP Last Laugh
    SHIELD Barricade of Eternity ---------------------- -EXP +STR +SBR --> Wall of Terror
    HELM Valorous Dreadnaught Greathelm
    NECK Boundless Ambition --------------------------- -EXP +STR +SBR --> Nexus War Champion Beads
    SHLDR Pauldrons of Unnatural Death ------------ -EXP +STR +SBR --> Valorous Dreadnaught Pauldrons
    CLOAK Platinum Mesh Cloak ----------------------- -AVD -HIT +STR +SBV +SBR --> Shadow of the Ghoul
    CHEST Breastplate of Tormented Rage --------- -AVD -HIT +STR +SBR --> Valorous Dreadnaught Breastplate
    WRIST Bracers of Dalaran's Parapets ----------- -AVD -HIT +STR +SBV +SBR --> Bindings of the Hapless Prey
    GLOVES Valorous Dreadnaught Handguards --- -AVD -EXP +STR +SBV +SBR --> Gauntlets of the Disobedient
    BELT Ablative Chitin Girdle ------------------------- -AVD -HIT +SBR --> Fleshless Girdle
    LEGS Legplates of Sovereignty ------------------- -AVD -EXP +STR +SBR --> Greaves of Turbulence
    BOOTS Sabatons of Endurance ------------------- -AVD -EXP +STR +SBV +SBR --> Inexorable Sabatons

Standard MT Set vs High Avoidance Set
    WEAP Last Laugh
    SHIELD Barricade of Eternity ---------------------- -DEF -EXP +AVD --> Hero's Surrender
    HELM Valorous Dreadnaught Greathelm --------- -HIT -SBV +AVD +EXP --> Helm of Vital Protection
    NECK Boundless Ambition --------------------------- -DEF -EXP +AVD +SBR --> Nexus War Champion Beads
    SHLDR Pauldrons of Unnatural Death ------------ -DEF -EXP +AVD +SBR --> Valorous Dreadnaught Pauldrons
    CLOAK Platinum Mesh Cloak
    CHEST Breastplate of Tormented Rage --------- -DEF -HIT +AVD --> Dragonstorm Breastplate
    WRIST Bracers of Dalaran's Parapets ----------- -HIT +AVD --> Bracers of the Unholy Knight
    GLOVES Valorous Dreadnaught Handguards --- -DEF -EXP +AVD --> Callous-Hearted Gauntlets
    BELT Ablative Chitin Girdle
    LEGS Legplates of Sovereignty ------------------- -DEF -EXP +AVD --> Valorous Dreadnaught Legguards
    BOOTS Sabatons of Endurance ------------------- -EXP +AVD --> Kyzoc's Ground Stompers

RING Signet of the Accord

RING Signet of the Impregnable Fortress
    RING Gatekeeper
    RING Sand-Worn Band

TRINKET Lavanthor's Talisman
    TRINKET Essence of Gossamer

TRINKET Repelling Charge
    TRINKET Valor Medal of the First War

TRINKET Rune of Repulsion
    TRINKET Defender's Code

TRINKET Mark of Norgannon
    Last edited by Warscar; 01-15-2009 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Added Signet of the Accord

what about the ring of the accord from sartharion?

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Signet of the Accord should be there me thinks

Monarch Crab should be included in the list, for Sarth+3 there is no better trinket for the MT

T7.5 helm is lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    T7.5 helm is lacking.
    I would agree - HoVP for Standard Set!

I would consider Cloak of the Shadowed Sun - Item - World of Warcraft superior to the Emblem cloak for both damage mitigation and EH.

Thus, I would include it in my High Avoidance/Progression tanking set.

I'd also consider most SBV/SBR pieces preferable for trash tanking. At certain levels of hit size and block value, SBR surpasses dodge rating point for point. We are seeing these levels in Naxx10/Naxx25.

You may want to make four lists:
    - Trash/heroics/weak hitters
    - Max dps gear (while being uncrittable so you'd assume the piece would have defense so this list won't include dps gear.)
    - Max Survivability (Some combination of EH and avoidance)
    - Balanced for bosses (Max item budget with a blend of threat and survival)

Also, as far as trinkets are concerned, I'm finding typical dps trinkets amazing for tanking trash (as a 15/5/51 warrior). Mirror of Truth and Darkmoon cards come to mind.

I'll add Signet of the Accord on there. I overlooked it because it was ILVL 200, but I suppose the Expertise is nice.

The reason I included the Tier Helm is for the 2-piece bonus. The Tier Gloves are really nice, so to add just one more piece to get the bonus is worth it. The Tier Shoulders and BP have SBR, and the Leggings are pure Avoidance. So I liked the HIT and SBV on the Helm.

I left the Figurine out because not everyone is a JC. As I said, trinkets are free for you to choose so if you can get it, go for it.

I would still pick Platinum Mesh over Shadowed Sun. Shadowed Sun only has more Armor and STR. Dodge rating is pretty much equivalent, but Platinum Mesh has a little more Defense, which adds a little more Avoidance. You also don't want to neglect Hit and Expertise. The next "Progession" will be Ulduar, and by that time your DPS is sure to be fully decked out. So you still want to be able to hold threat with a High Avoidance Set. I just don't think extra Armor is that good for a Prot Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Warscar View Post
    I just don't think extra Armor is that good for a Prot Warrior.
    This is a case where math can pay off, Shadowed Sun is by far the best cloak, at least, the few times I've compared the armor differences and the gains from it. Take a look at it, you'll be surprised just how good +armor can still be for a warrior, it's why the badge ring from the Sunwell patch with armor and dodge was best in slot next to the M'uru ring
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

In terms of EH, yes it's the best cloak.

But the Avoidance set already sacrifices a lot of Hit and Expertise in favor of Dodge and Parry. So I would rather keep the Hit rating on Platinum Mesh over the additional Armor from Shadowed Sun.

In fact, my Avoidance picks will have to be updated later once I actually get the gear so I can see the full effects of DR. I may keep some of the Hit and Expertise gear on there.

Did i mess up by not bidding higher on Legplates of Sovereignty? I lost them to another tank, as i had val legs , so didnt bid high. Hope they drop again fast :P

Quote Originally Posted by Krays View Post
    Did i mess up by not bidding higher on Legplates of Sovereignty?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by krays View Post
    did i mess up by not bidding higher on legplates of sovereignty? I lost them to another tank, as i had val legs , so didnt bid high. Hope they drop again fast
    If only I had posted this earlier!

idd , also you should ask to get this made in to a sticky, its gonna get lost this thread otherwise .

+ Reply to Thread