+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Proposed Paladin Aura change

Proposed Paladin Aura change

I posted this on the official forums, but I wanted to get the Tankspot community's opinion on it also:

For anyone interested, there was a discussion over on the Elitist Jerks forum about Holy Paladins and the aura they should be using. This point came up:
    Q u o t e:
    ...swap the effects for Improved Concentration and Improved Devotion Aura--that would make the most sense to free up some of the "wasted" holy/prot points. If Improved Concentration Aura gave 6% healing, Holy paladins would love to use it. Conversely, if Improved Devotion Aura gave reduced Silence/Interrupt effect, it would be a boon to the many tankadins who have trouble on Silencing fights.
    Does anyone else like this idea as much as I do?

Having played a Prot Paladin for years, I always hated the fact that silence nerfed our threat output (especially if it happened early in a fight). By switching the effects of Improved Devo Aura and Improved Conc Aura, each tree would have a "signature"
    aura that they actually want to run with.

I understand that Prot Paladins love Improved Devo like it is now. What tank wouldn't like a built in "6% healing boost"? But what about Holy? Pushback is not really much of an issue right now, and the silence duration reduction from Improved Conc Aura is situational at best. So much so, that most Holy Paladins don't spec into it. That should be the first red flag for Blizzard (If a talent is not being used, there is probably a reason).

Now I'm sure I'm gonna get some flames (who doesn't on the official forums?), but I'm just curious.....Am I alone in thinking that this would be a good change?

Silence duration reduction for Prot is even more situational than it is for Holy. There are no WotLK encounters that silence the tank, so it just comes down to a few trash packs. In short, it wouldn't be a "boon" at all, because there aren't "many tankadins who have trouble on Silencing fights."

Silence reduction also is critical for Holy in PVP, whereas Prot is not desirable for PVP in the slightest.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Good point...I need to get out of the BC mindset (where I did most of my tanking).

Personally I was saddened when they moved the 50% damage boost to ret aura further down in the tree. I like to spec into PoJ myself when tanking, and the 50% damage boost to ret aura use to be the next two points. Especially now that ret aura actually is modified by spell damage. At least they made devotion aura worth using.

I would go a step further from what Lore stated regarding Imp Conc Aura and say that at this present moment given current content there is no need for Conc Aura in PvE content. There are few, if any mobs that do a silencing effect, and there aren't any bosses that silence. As for the spell pushback.. well, there's aren't any bosses like Hex Lord in the game right now that do constant damage like those Spirit Bolts.

I'd say that right now Imp Conc Aura would be more for those holy pallies that PvP, and that Imp Dev Aura giving 6% to bonus healing is ideal in the protection tree, because while us as holy pallies being able to dole out 6% more heals is nice, a prot pally is going to like the effects even more, because of the fact that a prot pally can't always rely on having a holy pally or a druid there with them.

With that said, though, we can't totally discount conc aura, because we don't know what the T8 bosses are going to be like, and Blizz may just be waiting to introduce those silence type of bosses then
    Last edited by qygibo; 01-13-2009 at 09:30 PM.

I do remember reading somewhere that Blizz wanted to make fights harder by using silence effects on healers more (I can't find the source now though...).

That's why I brought this post to the peeps here at Tankspot. You guys always point me in the right direction.

The moral of the story is...I should stick to tanking.

Thanks for all of the replies.

+ Reply to Thread