+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resto shaman issues on Patchwerk 25

Resto shaman issues on Patchwerk 25

Last night I was participating on my fresh 80 Resto Shaman in a Naxx 25 PUG. We eventually called the raid after wiping repeatedly on Patchwerk.

DPS was pretty decent, and tanks seemed to be pretty decent, but we were having major healing issues. We wiped 3 times with Patchwerk between 20-30% health because of a tank going down (sometimes an OT, sometimes the MT).

For my healing assignment, I was on the MT. My armory is The World of Warcraft Armory

The MT's armory is The World of Warcraft Armory

We are both admittedly a bit undergeared. Anyway, I was going OOM every fight with Patch at around 30-40% health. I had improved mana spring totem up, popped a mana pot (with alchemy stone buff), popped mana tide, and even got an innervate one fight. I was keeping imp. water shield up on myself the whole time, earth shield on the MT, and was spamming Lesser Healing Wave nonstop at about 1 second per cast (with haste buffs, etc.). I should also add that I have the LHW glyph.

So, my question is then: Am I just still too undergeared for this content, or was I doing something technically wrong in my approach to the fight?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Erja; 01-13-2009 at 07:54 AM.

For 25, yes you are under geared. WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings might give you a good idea of what your ready for.

Patchwerk is a gear check anyway. The tanks are taking a ton of damage, the OT more then the MT.

Thanks for the link, Coldfire - hadn't seen that site yet. I must say that having been tanking for a long while now, healing is sufficiently different and more difficult than I imagined.

If anybody has any comments as to shaman healing strategies and approaches for Patchwerk (or other relevant thoughts) that would certainly be appreciated.

Hi Erja,

Have you tried using Chain Heal instead of Lesser Healing Wave? We typically have 2 or 3 resto shamans in our raids and the bounces of CH help a lot. I simply keep Earth Shield on my assigned tank and keep casting chain heal and cancelling at the very last second if it will be all overhealing. Near the end of the fight if I am looking good on mana I'll often stop cancelling and just spam it till he is dead.

I also recommend Totem of Forest Growth - Item - World of Warcraft, it's cheap and greatly improves the mana effeiceny of CH.

Also, tell that stupid druid to never innervate you again. It does pretty much nothing for you.

P.S. I'd recommend enchanting your gear. I admit sometimes I am lazy and don't put the best enchants on gear I know i am replacing, but certain enchants such a weapon provide a hugh boost and shouldn't be skipped.

Thanks for the comments, Phailure.

I didn't try using CH spam, but I could see how that could be helpful as far as helping the OTs stay up as well. Is the Totem of Forest Growth you linked worth using over the +healing CH totem (Totem of the Bay)? I suppose it's a question of less mana vs. more healing on CH.

Good point on the innervate, hadn't thought about how that's a +spirit based spell.

I know you're right on enchants and I admit my laziness/cheapness in that regard

Your gear isn't enough for this. Patch is a VERY intensive healing boss, actually is the only boss on the game now that can make me go OOM (ok, but i will over heal like hell for that).

Don't worry about using mult targets heals, melee dps can jump on the water so they don't get an unlucky hatefull strike, so CH is surelly the best option for this fight. One more thing: the OT will that way more dmg than the MT, so you should try to focus on him.

Edit: If you are Brazilian, we are having HUGE lag issues at construct quarter, and this can be a reason for the wipes too. my guild spent an hour at Patch because we just couldn't heal fast enough or we were getting dc'd. Not sure why, but that quarter is lagging like hell to BR's (thaddius and patch are just frustrating)
    Last edited by Raiss; 01-13-2009 at 08:47 AM.
    Raiss ~ Holy Paladin @ Gurubashi Horde.
    Chosen Man.

Yeah the DPS "dips." DPS should not take any damage at all. OT will take way more damage then MT so he will need more heals. This fight is where I love being disc, PS ftw!

As stated, your just not quite there for 25 man. Being a fresh 80 that's perfectly o.k. - start doing some heroics, 10 man OS, and 10 man Arch. Try some 10 man Naxx runs and see how that goes as well. If your in a good group with another healer or two you'll probably get some good upgrades out of there. Most importantly, have fun!

EDIT: DPS will take damage, but it should not be from Patch... That's what I meant.

MT on this fight is taking no where near the damage the OT is taking and your right your both a little under geared. When doing a MT heal on Patch I generally riptide then LHW and pause between casts unless the tank is at a deficit of greater then 7k. When the riptide is near 3s to being over I chain heal once then riptide and return to LHW's. I'm use to doing this with a tank around 35k hps so 7k deficit might be a bit big on a tank with only 23k unbuffed. The damage done to the MT on patch can almost be reactively healed the hatefulls have to be spammed.

Might I ask what was your healer composition?
    Generally putting a pally on the MT with beakon on the OT and a pally on the OT with beakon on the MT will carry a large portion of the healing load.
    I think my guild does it with 5 healers now and if we only have 1 pally he will be on the mt solo with beakon on the OT, druid hotting both tanks and the remaining healers on the OT with possibly a/the shaman keeping the armor buff up on the MT(priest can do this as well). ~20k hits every second requires a large amounts of heals landing every second.

Might have been gear that did you guys in might have been heal setup?
    Also do you happen to remember the duration of the fight? You said dps was good but how good? I know when dps lacks my reg begins to feel insufficient.

Should have mentioned aswell, LHW is your most efficient spell due to crit water shield reg and the lack of down ranking. You will find this even more so when you pickup a meta and I suggest the mana return on spell cast one. So if you start risking going oom just refresh ES and LHW, skip the riptides and chain heals. Chain healing a MT in a fight where mana is a issue for you is like having a holy priest CoH a tank so they are healing bolth, its a wait of mana and healing (due to 1 CH bounce instead of 3 off the primary). Once gear permits you no longer going oom before a the end of a fight chain heals to make sure a OT is topped up would be effective. But all in all I'd say work on getting the most out of your mana tell your gear permits more. Let riptides run almost full duration before CHing and stick to LHW's unless theres a large amount of group damage. Currently 2xlhw will roughly equal the same healing you can get out of a riptide/CH with twice the chance to crit and proc WS. Same concept exists for HW.

"CHAINHEAL MAKES MELEES DIE!" I love it when our raid leader says that, but got tired of arguing.

MT=takes very little damage. LHW + ES + glyph is a good approach.
    OT=we do it with one offtank who has around 5 healers on him. If you have enough mana to support it, LHW spamming is good. If not: HW precasting is excellent and very mana efficent. /stopcast doesn't cost ANY mana. Great, huh?
    http://www.shieldsup.ch - Another Resto Shaman Blog

As I'm sure you know from the replies so far, I would say you are barely geared for a nax10. CH the OT, and you will proc Tidal Waves, giving you a quick LHW or HW depending on if any of the tanks need it. This of course, is just the method I do. CH, LWH/HW to possibly consume a mana shield charge.
    Again, enchant you gear. It was recommended 8 days ago that this be done, and I just checked and saw that you have not. Gold should never be an issue when it comes to your gear. Take the time to farm herbs, mine, do something. Enchanting your gear is just a sign that you are committed.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the comments. I've been picking up some upgrades so the gear level is improving. As well I'm getting more comfortable healing.

I readily recognize that my gear needs to be fully enchanted/kited out - but in my defense I should clarify that this is solely an alt. I have no problem dropping many thousands of gold on my warrior but am going to skimp a bit on this shaman (particularly after dropping 5k on epic mount). Anyways, full cleared Naxx10 this morning and picked up some great pieces.

My raid usually does this with 5 healers, sometimes 6. That usually involves a resto druid or two, a paladin or two, a priest and my shaman. I think of lot your problems can be chalked up to two things.

1) Your gear, as everyone has mentioned already. It's a little weak for patchwerk but you'll get there soon enough. Keep on truckin'

2) Coordination of the healers. The way we handle that fight is to put 2 healers on the MT, 3 healers on the OT and if the 2nd OT gets hit, I break off healing the OT and heal him. If you put a shaman alone on a target, unless they overgear the fight, they're going to run dry most likely. If you druids think they should be spamming healing growth or something, their going to run dry and you're going to have to work harder, and thus run dry. It's a team effort, without coordination, you're going to fail till you outgear it. We killed him the first night in mostly blues, it can be done.

Good luck though, soon enough you'll be killing him with healers still with 2/3s their mana left.

I agree that your gear is a little lacking obviously but i would think there was more lacking than just that. How on earth did your Raid/Heal lead decide to put u alone on the MT as a fresh 80? I've one healed the main tank on that fight in full epics and struggled to keep mana up the whole fight, its just not good strategy. If you are assigned with someone u can hit your chain heal and hit all 3 tanks. If your are doing the one off tank only strat u obviously hit them both with your tank being the primary target. In 25 man though your should have enough healers that the fresh 80 isnt main tank healing by himself, they should be using your chain heal to help with the hateful strike tank(s).

+ Reply to Thread