+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: (Video) 1'54" Patchwerk, Warrior, and buttonmash

(Video) 1'54" Patchwerk, Warrior, and buttonmash

This is a video of our recent patchwerk kill, which was a bit under 2 minutes long.

That's not really the point though.

I get tons and tons of questions about TPS, and a lot of it comes down to, "Push your buttons better!"

Here's a video of me main tanking Patchwerk.

At the end of the video is a breakdown of my abilities, and the amount of times I pressed buttons.

The end result is I was hitting a button on average of 10.5 times each second.

Gear used: chardev.org - a World of Warcraft Character Planner - x

Video is 100 megs, 1680x1050 resolution.
    Due to the small filesize, I suggest downloading the full quality version.

[ame="http://files.filefront.com/PremoPatchwerkavi/;12953275;/fileinfo.html"]PremoPatchwerk.avi - FileFront.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://static4.filefront.com/ffv6/player/vp_embed.swf?v=908516@@AMEPARAM@@static4.filefront .com/ffv6/player/vp_embed.swf?v=908516[/ame]
    Last edited by Xav; 01-13-2009 at 12:25 PM.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

streaming imo.. cant DL at work ill check it out when i get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Xav View Post
    The end result is I was hitting a button on average of 10.5 times each second.
    Considering that realistically you're not even getting off two full abilities per second (unlikely you're swinging more than once per second, and the GCD on most abilities is 1.5 seconds), that seems beyond excessive. If it works for you that's awesome, but I'm not sure it's really necessary.

Codec used: x264

Try this stuff:

Combined Community Codec Pack <-- combined community codec pack
    x264 revision 1074 <-- x264 codec (download the exe)
    The media player, movie player, YouTube player, video player, AVCHD player, divx player, free player - BS.Player.com <- bsplayer (my standard player)
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz

Thing with spamming is, you don't have to think about when x gcd's coming up..

Oh, and I hit my keys 13.5 per second.

Quote Originally Posted by Javen View Post
    Considering that realistically you're not even getting off two full abilities per second (unlikely you're swinging more than once per second, and the GCD on most abilities is 1.5 seconds), that seems beyond excessive. If it works for you that's awesome, but I'm not sure it's really necessary.
    Sure it's excessive, but it's basically how we're going to play the game. You can press the buttons less frequently, but you may miss things here and there and not fully utilize every GCD, etc.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz

Quote Originally Posted by Klimpen View Post
    Thing with spamming is, you don't have to think about when x gcd's coming up..

Oh, and I hit my keys 13.5 per second.
    Yeah, then you just have to think about beating the hell out of your keyboard and repetitive stress injury

Quote Originally Posted by Javen
    It's not excessive at all. The GCD has ended before the cooldown swirl actually hits 12:00 on the button and if you use OmniCC as it ships, you are definitely introducing lag into your rotation. I modified my OmniCC to show 1/10 seconds when the cooldown is under 2 seconds and you can see it drop from 0.6 to 0.0 almost every time. Hitting the buttons 10 times per second to anticipate the GCD ending is the only way you are guaranteed not to waste time. My guild always laughs at me when I talk on vent while tanking: sounds like you have a machine gun firing =)

My basic mantra is this: If my wrist isn't a bit sore after tanking Patchwerk, I was not working hard enough. Right now you're saying but that much threat doesn't matter!, and you're right. I am easily 2x most of the DPS in the raid (frostfire mages chase me pretty well, and hunters can FD.) It is, however, optimising my DPS as well (not to mention the offtanks' DPS) which is that much more against the time achievements and even moreso, my personal satisfaction.

Edit again: Not to mention that while you may not need all that threat now, there is nothing saying you won't later. Being in the habit of being precise in your rotation a good thing.
    Last edited by Satrina; 01-12-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Quoted wrong post
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

I generally don't go to the extremes of timing my key button usage per second but I am an admitted spammer and I am hammering the keys, particularly Heroic Strike and just adjust from Devestate to SS to Rev. I got cut off here by RL work stuff. Where was I?

ahh yes. My issues arise when I am spamming HS/Dev and miss a SS or Rev global. I get an S&B proc and I go to mash it but I have to wait for the global to come back after my last dev. I just need to grind on my reaction time a little bit, I think.

I FRAPS'd most of a 10 man Patchwerk kill last night but I haven't edited the raw video. My action bar flickers like a strobe light and I'm jumping back and forth between 4500 and 5500 TPS most of the time. I'll edit and post some video sometime but I don't profess to be pro at any of this crap.

Edit: WWS - Wow Web Stats

18 'white' swings vs. 123 Heroic Strikes. I fail X 18, lol.
    Last edited by Horacio; 01-12-2009 at 12:47 PM.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Im a spammer, its good so you dont miss a GCD on accident, not to mention keyboard lag.

*Dons flame suit for using a wireless keyboard*
    You do realize why the Borg are so bad at making dimmer switches don't you?
    Resistance is futile.

It must feel sooo good to sit there and see NO white hits, and i mean NO whites haha

Might as well just grab a copy of War and Peace and slam it on the keyboard.

If you're causing yourself physical pain due to the way you're playing the game, you're not helping anything. Period. Take it from someone who has carpal tunnel so bad he wakes up sometimes in the middle of the night with dead fingers, and wonders if they'll ever wake up. Play smart, or you're going to regret it when you're 35, like me, and can't even put your arms in certain positions without intense pain.

There is such a thing as too hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    My basic mantra is this: If my wrist isn't a bit sore after tanking Patchwerk, I was not working hard enough.
    Sounds healthy

Whatever works, I guess.

Heh, if it isn't my squeaky chair, my guildies are complaining about hearing my keys when I talk. Makes it worse that I use a desk mic, and the mic is placed right above my right hand.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca
    Everyone marvels at a square egg, but only the chicken understands the PAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Theomach View Post
    Might as well just grab a copy of War and Peace and slam it on the keyboard.

If you're causing yourself physical pain due to the way you're playing the game, you're not helping anything. Period. Take it from someone who has carpal tunnel so bad he wakes up sometimes in the middle of the night with dead fingers, and wonders if they'll ever wake up. Play smart, or you're going to regret it when you're 35, like me, and can't even put your arms in certain positions without intense pain.
    W&P method doesn't work, not precise enough

I'm past 35 already, and switched to ergo keyboards long (over a decade!) ago to work around carpal symptoms from non-computer related things. It'd be generally impossible for simply playing a keyboard to aggravate it given the strength in my wrists, but that's neither here nor there. The key is to not flex your wrist from a natural position. CTS is caused by bad habits for the most part, and a standard keyboard is a bad habit from the outset.

/derail
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

I can't see the video from work. How much DPS were you putting out?

Putting Heroic Strike on the mouse wheel solves the white damage problem, frees up a hot key, and is very simple to use. While I've never pulled 3k on Patch, I never have a white strike except for maybe one at the start when I have no rage. But I guess I need to start mashing SS on stand still fights as I didn't know about the slight lag on the visual gcd timer.

1'30"?!?! Simply pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    W&P method doesn't work, not precise enough

I'm past 35 already, and switched to ergo keyboards long (over a decade!) ago to work around carpal symptoms from non-computer related things. It'd be generally impossible for simply playing a keyboard to aggravate it given the strength in my wrists, but that's neither here nor there. The key is to not flex your wrist from a natural position. CTS is caused by bad habits for the most part, and a standard keyboard is a bad habit from the outset.

/derail
    And that... would kind of be my point.

I'm just trying to warn people before they end up like me. Sure, it's my fault. But all I did to get to this point was play computer games. Same as the rest of you.

If you don't want to listen, that's not my problem. You'll all learn when you're older.

Technically speaking, there's no proven (causal) link between repetitive tasks and CTS. They can aggravate it, but you more than likely will not get CTS strictly from using a keyboard incorrectly.

Aaand we're getting way off topic >.>

Agreed. Copied the CTS discussion to a new thread here: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/4...al-tunnel.html

+ Reply to Thread