+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seeking advice for my current gear setup/situation

Seeking advice for my current gear setup/situation

OK, so I'm fairly well geared at this point, at least for my situation.

Shortened version for those who reply after reading the first few sentences: I want to balance TPS (preferrably by a high DPS) with avoidance. I want to remain able to MT OS/Naxx while still pumping out high DPS (for a prot warrior, that is.) I'm hoping for peer evaluation of my current gear and build. I am not in a raiding guild, nor looking to join one, so I won't get reliable raid drops. I do sometimes PuG raids, however.

My armory

Notes on my current gear: I'm undecided about what to do for my shield enchant, and put a bid on a shield spike for now. Enchants' costs are a very important factor as I have to pay for everything myself at this point, and don't have a lot of gold. I am gonna stick with my weapon chain for now, unless it is *absolutely* imperative to switch out for something tremendously better.

The long version:

I'm in a guild that is decidedly casual, but have a lot of RL friends in the guild and am not wanting to leave them. Nonetheless, as the vast majority of the guild is very casual, it leaves me without a solid source of raiding, so my situation is a bit unique.

Generally I spend about 50% of my game time farming emblems or helping folks gear up from heroics. 30% of my game time is spent doing solo quests for money and reputation, while that other 20% is spent in PuG raids or PVP.

So 50% of the time, my priorities are survivability > AoE threat > DPS.

About 10-15% of the time, my priorities are survivability > TPS > DPS. However, that 10-15% of the time is where my upgrades will come from, so that is disproportionately important.

I'm trying to make myself versatile; I want to be able to MT for the occasional PuG or guild run that is short on a tank (not my guild, mind, but there's a couple of raiding guilds that know of me as a reliable tank when they are short on one).

Due to my sometimes tanking for well geared, experienced raids, I need to maintain a very solid TPS in addition to my avoidance stats. I've been trying to keep a balance between the two.

My current build is leaning towards TPS (with emphasis on high DPS) as I haven't had any problems with survivability thus far, and I even dropped vigilance since I really don't have any threat problems even when tanking for well geared raiding guilds. I've been trying to keep a high hit rating and expertise soft capped (or as nearly as I can), in addition to survival stats.

However, at this point my gear is pretty much plateauing, barring any lucky drops from PuGs. I generally go to Vault (both) and OS (both) every week, and then generally get a Naxx run (one or the other) every 2 weeks, as well.

Since the Naxx runs are PuGs, often they aren't very successful, so I don't really count on them as a reliable source of gear. Vault and OS do have a chance at providing upgrades, but again its by no means reliable, so I am feeling like at this point my gear isn't going to see any huge changes anytime soon.

My guild has solid healers and two tanks that are capable of doing Vault/OS, but we're really lacking geared DPS. I'm like.. 5th highest in the guild DPS, in fact.

I'm slowly building up my Emblems of Valor, and will occasionally continue to get lucky in raids (I hope!) but for the moment, I'd like to get evaluations from several different folks as to what my gear/chants/gems look like now, and what I could/should be doing differently.

My armory is currently what I wear when MTing raid content. However, at this point the only thing I switch out are trinkets; equipping my sonic booster and sphere of red dragon's blood when focusing on DPS in easy heroics.

Peer evaluation is always a good thing, so please let me know what you think. And if you've actually read through this far, my sincere thanks for your time and (hopefully) response.

shameless bump

+ Reply to Thread