• Myself

0 0%
  • Other(Explain Please)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spell Scaling

Spell Scaling

First off, I apologize if this is the wrong forum, first time posting here.

Okay, so, I'm currently in a very heated argument with one of my guild holy paladins that seems to still think that SP>all for pretty much everything.

I was under the belief that Ret has a stronger consercrate and JoL over both Prot and Holy. I've been trying the find the exact scaling numbers but I can't seem to find the mathematical conversion rates. He also thinks the consercrate was the best spell for holding aggro on mobs as Prot still. I tried to explain to him that SoTR is our current highest threat move and that Prot makes minimal use of Consecrate now, unless there are more than 4 mobs.

This holy paladin also believes that warriors are the best tanks bar none. He told me he would choose a warrior MT over a Paladin MT for a single target Undead boss. -.-; The reason being, warriors have more tools for single target aggro.

Now I haven't been able to run a raid with him yet, my connection is crap and crashes if there around more than 5 people in an instance, so I can't prove to him that a paladin would be a better choice these days.

Can anyone point me to a thread that houses all our mathematical conversions and how the damage scales with our AP and SP? I need some type of cold hard facts to throw at this guys face to break him of his Vanilla mentality.

Slavke

There should be more then enough info on Maintankadin:
    Maintankadin :: Index

Quote Originally Posted by nips View Post
    There should be more then enough info on Maintankadin:
    Maintankadin :: Index
    I have posted a similar thread there, before this one was made. I was merely seeking a second opinion. I appreciate the reply.

as in SP for a prot pally?
    Don't bother at all...

All the prot skills (I think the same counts for ret these days though I'm not sure on stuff like CS) scale from both AP and SP, the exception being ShoR which scales off your block value.

On trash consecration can be a large part of your damage, however this only applies to AoE situations. On bosses it is still used because it fits nice in the optimal rotation (6/9/6/9) however people who do not use it are better off not using consecration and focussing on the other skills.

As about his statement on warriors being a better MT: bullshit :P
    Threat doesn't matter that much anymore. The first few seconds are crucial... but that's the same for every class (even less so for pallies because of AS). After that threat is mainly a non-issue unless there is some special situation (like power spark stacking on malygos).
    Personally I pull off more single target threat than our warrior tank and we're pretty much equal geared. This was without using the ShoR bug (it's called Shield of Righteousness, not Shield of the Righteous) in which case the gap becomes ridiculous.

Something that IS true however is that consecration scales better with SP than it does with AP. As I'm on my laptop I don't have the conversions at hand... however just this one spell is not enough to stack up SP for the small benefit it gives, compared to the nerf your other spells get because you'd be sacrificing strength.
    The reason why ret paladin consecration is stronger is first of all because they gear for increasing their spells in the first place Second of all, they get SP from AP due to the Sheath of Light talent. This makes sure that every gained point in AP scales double.
    Last edited by MestHoop; 01-14-2009 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MestHoop View Post
    as in SP for a prot pally?
    Something that IS true however is that consecration scales better with SP than it does with AP. As I'm on my laptop I don't have the conversions at hand... however just this one spell is not enough to stack up SP for the small benefit it gives, compared to the nerf your other spells get because you'd be sacrificing strength.
    Actually, Consecration scales equally with SP and AP. The scaling for Consecration is:

Base/8 + 0.04*SP + 0.04*AP per tick

OR

Base + 0.32*SP + 0.32*AP per 8 second duration

You should not itemize, gem, or enchant for spell power, but instead for stam and gain the extra spellpower from talents, paladins are a lovely class that gains more threat from stam stacking /jealous

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    Actually, Consecration scales equally with SP and AP. The scaling for Consecration is:

Base/8 + 0.04*SP + 0.04*AP per tick

OR

Base + 0.32*SP + 0.32*AP per 8 second duration
    wow crap XD Back on my normal PC now and ye... I must've been thinking of a old build XD

+ Reply to Thread