+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK tank rotation

DK tank rotation

Well I am Death Knight and will be tanking raids soon. I have yet to tank anything. I need help with a rotation that is good for Dk tanking.All of my stats are up to par for naxx 10 and i believe 25. I use a Inevitable Defeat(two-handed mace) that i picked up in Naxx. So any help you can give will be much appreciated.

Well, first big needed piece of information is what your spec is, otherwise the rest is extremely variable.

Second, and I can't say this enough (don't want it to get lost), the strongest DK tank will not follow a blind rotation, they'll be continuously selecting moves based on the situation and a set of priorities.

Specifically:
    1.) Diseases are up. Blood and Unholy should have both diseases up, at all times, whenever possible. Frost can get by with only Frost Fever depending on what you're doing, but for optimal threat especially building to a long fight, you'll want both diseases as well.

2.) Single target vs Group threat will determine which moves are most effective. For example, Unholy you need to know how many enemies it takes (remembering you need 3 diseases up as well) to make BB better than BS, also considering if you NEED more focused threat or AoE threat.

3.) What is the most effective use of your runes? DnD is good threat, but it is also expensive. Will it add enough damage or can you support the gradual threat to make it worth the cost, can you place it ahead of the dps start enough to get the runes back more quickly when you're really working the threat?

So, if you share your spec I'm sure there are folks who will offer some rotations that work for them, and I'd be happy to sketch out some priorities.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

i have a dk tank and dps , how is the correct rotation for dk tank ?
    my spec is frost

If you absolutely need a pre-set list of abilities to use, it's pretty standard across each spec. Apply diseases, convert your runes of choice into blood runes, and spam your main strike.

What that works out to for Frost is Icy Touch - Plague Strike - Blood Strike - Blood Strike - Obliterate. As Satorri stated, frost can get away with leave Plague Strike out of the equation, but you're better off leaving it in until you are more comfortable with your threat generation and ability use. You would then Obliterate whenever you have free runes, while Blood Striking to convert your blood runes to death runes and maintaining your diseases with their respective strikes. Unholy will use Scourge Strike in place of Obliterate, but the concept remains the same. Blood is a little odd in that you will use Heart Strike as your primary strike instead of Obliterate/Scourge Strike.

The goal with any DK tank spec is three-fold. First, ensure your blood runes are always on cooldown to keep Blade Barrier active. Second, maintain your diseases on your target to maximize threat (and self-healing should you ever Death Strike). Finally, use your secondary abilities effectively based on whether you need more offensive power or defensive power. What I mean is, do you need to Frost Strike/Rune Strike/Death Coil for more threat/damage, or are you taking spike damage that would require you to use Icebound Fortitude/Anti-Magic Shell?

Hope that gives you a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Toco View Post
    i have a dk tank and dps , how is the correct rotation for dk tank ?
    my spec is frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    Second, and I can't say this enough (don't want it to get lost), the strongest DK tank will not follow a blind rotation, they'll be continuously selecting moves based on the situation and a set of priorities.
    Toco, I realize english is not perhaps your first language, but it is really, really bad that you posted that just after Satorris' post SPECIFICALLY saying there is no rotation per se, but a list of priorities.

If you like a set rotation, I suggest you try out a paladin tank. For your DK tank, you might want to read Satorri's guides

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/5...cs-styles.html
    And coming along nicely...
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/5...t-tanking.html
    I realize you are frost, but also read this
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/5...d-tanking.html

+ Reply to Thread