+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lavanthor's Talisman Worth It?

Lavanthor's Talisman Worth It?

When this first dropped for me in Violet Hold I was overjoyed to see an updated Autoblocker, after using it I noticed....that the passive effect was Block Rating....not Block Value....so basically I'm really only getting use of this every 2 minutes while Shield Block is on a 1 minute CD...it's fun seeing how fat a Shield Slam crit you can get, but these days I'm really not as concerned with Block Value, we get loads of it now, Autoblocker bought SBV when it was harder to stack.

It has it's uses, just like every other trinket you would use. But there are better. I use it for the SBR myself to boot up a weaker stat. Plus the the massive SS's on bosses is always nice

It's not, perhaps, something you would use 24/7, although I have done in the past. However, shield block rating can be very nice to help smooth out incoming damage- especially in heroics where the easiest way of doing things is of course to AoE tank entire packs. I love stacking shield block rating on top of my normal avoidance, because my healers love it too.
    Drowning in Worldie's QQ.

lavanthor's talisman gives more block value averaged out over time if you always stack it with shield block, and the cooldowns work out so you can. I mostly think of it as a fun trinket for lol-worthy high shield slams, just like my auto blocker and lucky coin from bc.

I use it for some things. Heroics alot. Wear it for trash in Naxx too. Anything where they don't hit you quite as hard but you're getting hit more. Don't really use it for bosses though, I prefer the defense trinket from Naxx + either the Valor Medal or the stam trinket from Azjol'Nerub (I'm terrible with names).

It's absolutey godlike for tanking the little adds on sartharion+3drakes. They hit for around 1.1k, so with enough block value and high block rating, they do very little damage no matter how many you are required to tank. in general it's very good for any kind of aoe encounter, remember that blocks still proc damage shield, but especially mobs in AOE situations don't hit hard, so block rating reduces damage taken a lot, probably more than avoidance would, since you need far less block rating for 1% block than defense, dodge, or parry.

Yeah its great for AoE, I wear it in heroics for the huge Shield Slams.

I use it for trash, for Offtanking and for grinding mobs. against a raid boss i rarely ever use it if i'm MT'ing it.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

The only thing i wanted this trinket for was OTing on patchwerk to push my dps higher..then i realized Autoblocker was better for that purpose..so QQ

Oh and before you mock me tatt...it DID finally drop..after i no longer wanted it.. GG
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

i use this baby all the time. on any boss I basically cant die on (thaddius/gluth etc..)

for the tough bosses its always essence and dodge trinket.

Addressing the trinket from the point of a paladin tank, it bridges the gap to block cap early on. I'm 1.2% avoidance away from being able to ditch it, and I'm quite excited about being able to put my essence of gossamer back on.

For AOE tanking, for trash, or bosses where you are going for threat over survival stats it's a pretty nice trinket. I bet I use mine 80% of the time in heroics and raids, but YMMV.

I SBV increase every two minutes just seems dumb to me though, Auto-Blocker was amazing because it gave a large static SBV increase and then a huge one every 2 minutes.

Overall I might say The Auto-Blocker still outperforms it, yet I find the need to stack SBV like that outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by klor View Post
    The only thing i wanted this trinket for was OTing on patchwerk to push my dps higher..then i realized Autoblocker was better for that purpose..so QQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal View Post
    I SBV increase every two minutes just seems dumb to me though, Auto-Blocker was amazing because it gave a large static SBV increase and then a huge one every 2 minutes.

Overall I might say The Auto-Blocker still outperforms it, yet I find the need to stack SBV like that outdated.
    incorrect, you should time your lavanthor's with shield block and it ends up being better overall for damage than coren's or the auto blocker.

I will make fun of you if I want Klor

I farmed for this trinket for 12 runs before I even saw the dog, and 14 before it finally dropped. I love this thing.

Personally, I find the dodge trinket to be good, but not nearly as OP as ye olde pocket watch. This trinket, on the other hand, increased my chance to block by nearly 33% (~15% -> ~20%), and vs anything but a hard hitting boss, that's very significant. I have a macro that links its use to shield block, which really does work like a mini-shield wall, giving ridiculous 3k+ blocks.

There are definitely better trinkets out there, but in its niche, I really don't think it can be beaten, even by the old autoblocker trinkets.

shield slamming someone in pvp for 8k right after a 5k shockwave crit = winsauce.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by nykken View Post
    incorrect, you should time your lavanthor's with shield block and it ends up being better overall for damage than coren's or the auto blocker.
    Please explain to me how 440 sbv for 20 seconds every 2 minutes (minus snb procs which is 3 shield slams with 440 extra sbv, netting you 1320 sbv over two minutes.) is better than 200sbv every 2minutes for 20secs plus 59 static (so 3 shield slams with 259extra sbv plus an extra 59sbv for 17 over the 2 minutes... which is 1003 net gained sbv... and if you add in the on use, you are up to 1780 sbv over 2 minutes.)

If you add in SNB procs, autoblocker blows lavanthor's trinket away for damage/threat on patchwerk oting.

The autoblocker is still better for damage and threat over the course of the 2 minute downtime of the trinket. The lavanthors is better for burst threat.

And yes, I am aware my math is a little sloppy, but you get the point.
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

Lavanthor: 440 sbv for 20 seconds. 2 min cooldown
    Coin/Autoblocker: 59 passive sbv, 200 sbv for 20 seconds. 2 minute cooldown

Assume you link them both to Shield block, as people are suggesting in this thread, for maximum returns on both.

While SB + trinket up:
    Lavanthor: 880 sbv
    Coin/Autoblocker: 518 sbv

While SB is up but trinket is on CD:
    Lavanthor: 0 sbv
    Coin/Autoblocker: 118 sbv

While SB is not up:
    Lavanthor: 0 sbv
    Coin/Autoblocker: 59 sbv

Assuming imp Shield block, your rotation looks like this:
    Code:
    t=0  : SB + Trinket
    t=10 : Trinket
    t=20 : base
    t=40 : SB
    t=50 : base
    t=80 : SB
    t=90 : base
    t=120: SB + Trinket
    At time = 120 seconds, we repeat the cycle.

Average SBV over the 2 minute cycle is:
    Lavanthor:
    (880*10 + 440*10)/120 = 110 sbv

Coin/Autoblocker:
    (518*10 + 259*10 + 59*80 + 118*20)/120 = 123.75

Granted, this ignores the extra damage you can get if your SSlams in the 20 seconds the Lavanthor is up crit, and it also ignores whatever defensive value the block rating gives you.

CORRECTION: Current values are correct. I had a typo that put the Coin/Autoblocker much lower than it should be
    Last edited by frim; 01-13-2009 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Math error (again)

I agree with Klor that the autoblocker/coren's coin has more sustained BV thanthe new trinket, but the new trinket has a great deal more survivability built in (5% block)...over the course of a heroic let alone a raid 5% more blocks adds up a great deal.

+ Reply to Thread