+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Ideal" Tanking Rotation

"Ideal" Tanking Rotation

I wrote a quick 'n dirty rotation simulator for some theorycrafting relating to DW/Rend (thread), and figured I might as well post the numbers for the "ideal" (such as it exists) rotation. I hope they're of some use

These numbers are the average time between each ability use - sort of like the real-world CD of the ability. They've been calculated over a simulated 230400 GCDs (that's 4x 24-hour days) at three different hit/expertise levels. I believe the rotation I used (described below) is what most of you are using. If it's not, let me know and I'll run the numbers again.

Notes: This doesn't account for Conc. Blow's lower GCD (very slight impact overall, and the data is noisy enough that it shouldn't be a problem). It also assumes infinite rage, and zero lag.

Rotation
    The rotation used was a Survivability > Threat priority system. I've ranked the abilities here with the highest priority ability at the top, and the lowest priority ability at the bottom.

Code:
    Thunderclap
    Demo Shout
    Shield Slam
    Shockwave
    Concussive Blow
    Revenge
    Devastate
    I put SS above Shockwave/Conc Blow because of S&B procs (which are fully simulated, in case you were wondering). The simulator keeps TC/Demo shout up constantly (but also most efficiently), assuming the abilities don't miss.

Case 1
    -5% to hit, -15% Parry/Dodge
    Code:
    Thunderclap: 28.8s
    Demo Shout:  28.5s
    Shield Slam: 5.44s
    Shockwave:   21.55s
    Conc Blow:   30.55s
    Revenge:     6.62s
    Devastate:   2.37
    Case 2
    -3% to hit, -7% Parry/Dodge
    Code:
    Thunderclap: 29.2s
    Demo Shout:  29.1s
    Shield Slam: 5.34s
    Shockwave:   21.55s
    Conc Blow:   30.55s
    Case 3
    -0% to hit, -0% Parry/Dodge
    Code:
    Thunderclap: 30.0000s
    Demo Shout:  30.0000s
    Shield Slam: 5.27s
    Shockwave:   21.77s
    Conc Blow:   30.53s
    Ok, great, but how do I use it?
    Honestly, if you're asking that question, you probably don't need to be using it

However, this can be of some use for determining what you need to work on in your rotation (for lack of a better word). Once you get past the initial sundering-up/debuffing phase of the pull and start into your tanking rotation proper, the highest threat output you can achieve while maintaining highest survivability will give you the above numbers. You could actually take your WWS and divide the time in seconds by the number of times you used each ability to compare how you do vs. how the ideal tank.

Of course, this is not without its limitations (the ideal tank does not need to blow CD's!), but it might be of some help
    Last edited by shiz98; 01-09-2009 at 02:48 PM.

You have to remember the Dodge cap is pretty low, we're of the understanding that it is about 6%, and the parry cap is much higher, at least around 14%. Thus to have 2% attacks being dodged and 5% attacks being parried would mean the parry cap in your example is much lower, which doesn't seem to be the case. Erlaya is running some numbers right now to re-confirm the Parry cap, but just so you're aware.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

Yep, the parry I used has no basis on reality. In the end it doesn't really matter, since TC/Shockwave can't be parried OR dodged. It really should be a Hit/Expertise thing instead of the three categories, but I wanted to display it as a -% rather than a +%.

I originally planned to have parry/dodge be equal, but I decided against it for form's sake

Edit: I went back and simplified it a bit to avoid confusion.
    Last edited by shiz98; 01-08-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Glyph of Blocking also would put Shield Slam above above shockwave (you have it this way, but its another reason)

+ Reply to Thread