+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Frost Tanking - Howling Blast/Obliterate

I did a little basic side-by-side analysis in this spreadsheet. You are welcome to edit it if this saves you any time to add those factors I have left out (spell/melee hit, etc).
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...adYM4ABQ&hl=en

There is a problem with your spreadsheet, it's doesnt factor the armor of the mob, who affect OB and not HB.

Blizzard commented that they feel as though it needs more tweaking. Apparently it is proccing way more then they had intended under some situations. Prolly gonna have to wait until the patch goes live to see what they land on for the final PPM #s.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanorr View Post
    There is a problem with your spreadsheet, it's doesnt factor the armor of the mob, who affect OB and not HB.
    There's a lot more than just that factor missing, but I think most of them are listed as NYI on the spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDK View Post
    There's a lot more than just that factor missing, but I think most of them are listed as NYI on the spreadsheet.
    Yea I know, but not taking the armor is a huge one. It make us believe that OB make more damage than HB, while every test that I made (ingame or some try at theorycraft) show the opposite (without the glyph and the sigil at least).

I know I will be specing out of Annihilation as well. HB will be ideal seeing as there arent very many single pull trash anymore with even less bosses that happen to be frost immune.

The only problem I have with HB are with water ele's (duh right?), in which case the only thing I can do is have my dps kill it last so my dots/dnd can gain the aggro ill need. BB kinda needs a fixin IMO.

I really dont see how HB will/should over take OB on a single target threat. If it ever did, just be ready for the nerf bat.

On that though, OB will be better for tanking on single target bosses. I do have a question since I dont spec frost much, do the runes reset on a HB resist? If they dont, then that combined with the fact that as a tank your already low on +hit anyways and your going to be severly gimping your threat if your main attack is a spell with a high miss chance. On top of the fact that as a tank your going to be gear for Exp which effects OB and not HB.

Again, maybe the math on live will show that HB is better than OB for all situations, but just be ready for a nerf. They did the same thing to feral swipe and then that got nerfed.
    I cast the spells that make the people fall over.

Swipe is a base movement, HB is a talent; Scourge strike is doing more damage than OB (and replace it), they wont nerf it, HB is the same deal.

And it will not, it already does more damage.

About the hit, OB have more chance to miss/be dodged/be paried than HB have chance to miss (21% vs 17; 19,75 vs 17 with the 5 expertise through tundra stalker).
    And if you use HB instead of OB, there a lot less need for expertise than hit, cause there will be only BS that use expertise. Plus the fact that spell hit scale faster than melee hit, it will be easier to cap for spell hit than melee hit + expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by mandible View Post
    Morbidity? Why would a frost knight ever use death coil?
    Until patch 3.0.8 goes live Death and Decay + Glyph is just extremely nice even as a frost tank. I personally dropped Acclimation to pick it up. The one problem DK sort of suffers with right now is our ability to pick up adds compared to some of the other classes. Howling blast is nice but I generally prefer to keep that ability available for cementing threat.

I remember Gothik in Naxx being a complete pain before I put the points into morbidity. Add pickup as a DK just isn't fun sometimes. This might change when HB and Pestilence come off their cooldowns however.

+ Reply to Thread