+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking to increase damage output

Looking to increase damage output

I'm generally happy with my gear and build right now, have been tanking heroics quite effectively. I don't have threat issues, healers like my HP pool, I'm not looking to make significant tweaks in gear/enchants/gems.

What I *am* looking to increase is my damage output, without gimping the more important areas of EH, avoidance/mitigation, and threat (although increasing damage ought to only help threat as well anyway).

I can generally manage about 900dps when solo'ing, and usually right around 1000-1100 in a 5-man heroic PUG. Based on what I've read here and what I've seen others in my guild do, I feel I should be doing roughly 300 dps higher than that with this gear set.

I follow a pretty typical tanking rotation, I think. It's certainly effective enough for establishing/maintaining aggro. I just feel like there must be some obvious factor that I'm completely missing.

Looking primarily for feedback in terms of consumables, shout choices (I typically use CS...perhaps should use BS more on trashpulls?), other ability uses, not so much for gear/enchant/gem suggestions (except perhaps on weapon enchant).

Am also looking for feedback on what ballpark damage I should be doing with this level of gear...perhaps I've completely manufactured this "problem" in my own mind and in fact don't really have an issue.

Have never posted my armory link before...hope this works...

The World of Warcraft Armory

wish i could help, very cool stuff.

You have plenty of Health. You should consider regemming and enchanting for expertise. Like, gloves and wrists you are getting like 22stamina from enchants. You could switch out for 30 expertise. Which is double what you have.

Its the enchants I am gonna get, I just don't have the mats.

hit rating. misses = 0 dps. get a weapon chain on your red sword, switch the enchant on your bracers to +def, that way you can move some gems around to get more hit rating. there are some really nice +hit/+exp gems as well as +hit/+stam. lowering your HP pool a little in favor of gaining some +hit would be a good thing.

I would swap out the two Parry/Stamina gems for Expertise/Stamina.

Then I'd drop the Ruby Hare for Mirror of Truth.

I don't use CS anymore except in raids or with undergeared healers and I'm nowhere near you're health level.

Actually, swapping your gloves for the T7 gloves would give you a massive threat boost since that would complete you 2 pc bonus and give you 30 expertise. I think this should be priority 1, then regem, then try the trinket.

Thanks for the responses. I did swap out the Parry gems for +Hit and +Expertise, and also went with the Expertise bracer/glove enchants along with the Titanium chain on the sword. Frankly I didn't notice much difference in damage output, but I've got both of those stats above 5% now, certainly better than they were.

And yes, the T7 gloves are my next badge acquisition, definitely. The +10% SS damage increase is mouthwatering. After that, might experiment with the Mirror of Truth...hard to give up all the stamina I have stacked in Ruby Hare though.

Have started putting up BS instead of CS.

Am still in the 900-1000 range for DPS in 5-man heroic with typical buffs...I gotta think there's something fundamentally wrong with my rotation or use of abilities. Now this is when I'm tab-targeting and so forth against multiple mobs, I'm losing a little bit of time there...can usually do 1100 or so against a single target.

Have been using the +Expertise buff food, and sometimes +Str. I might experiment with +Crit food and see if that renders any noticeable difference.

are you using a shield slam macro?
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f120/...lam-macro.html

replace the trinkets with whatever you may have, or remove that part if you have none.

Quote Originally Posted by Bramborough View Post
    Am still in the 900-1000 range for DPS in 5-man heroic with typical buffs...I gotta think there's something fundamentally wrong with my rotation or use of abilities. Now this is when I'm tab-targeting and so forth against multiple mobs, I'm losing a little bit of time there...can usually do 1100 or so against a single target.
    I does sound like a rotation issue, I have the same sword as you, and almost the same melee stats as you. Yet, when I was using your spec I was around 1100 on trash and around 1200 on bosses.

I had a serious problem with my rotation though. I have the Revenge Glyph, so I got too used to spamming HS, sometimes rage starving myself. Other things I would do would be doing SW and CB back to back and missing out on a Devastate. One of the worst things I do was jam abilites before they came off CD (not gcd, but regular cd) because I wanted to SS or SW as soon as possible.

Took a lot of practice to get used to not jamming abilites before they were ready. I also had to untrain myself from hitting revenge above all (because I was paranoid it would de-activate if I waited any longer). I did all this practicing along with a respec to 15/5/51 and a reglyph (sunder -> devastate). So I'm sure my current dps numbers are a product of all 3 changes. But the rotation issue is the big one. I had some really inconsistent fights until I straightened out my rotation. I think I did 1400 on Keri (with a fury warrior and DK in party) but with the same group did something like 900 on Prince Keleseth.

I still have a ways to go, movement fights I'm still bad at moving and doing my rotation. Anyways, I won't talk about myself anymore, and hopefully some of my pitfalls help you see yours.

I think Muffin has probably hit upon the core of my problem. I've run into same issues with over-spamming HS. And I know I'm guilty of hitting abilities before off cool-down, and hitting Revenge when SS would have been better. And I have the same challenges with moving fights...I put more emphasis on moving/taunting/TC-SW as needed than on keeping up the rotation. While this is appropriate prioritization, I probably need to improve my ability to keep up a solid SS/Rev/Dev/HS rotation (not necessarily in that order) on the move.

All that said, have been doing better. I'm typically in the 1000-1100 range now against trash when I've got them grouped up nice and don't have to move...and have gotten as high as 1400-1500 on stationary boss fights (where rage pretty much lets me spam HS with reckless abandon, lol).

I think the hit/expertise changes have something to do with this, as well as using BS more (have been lucky enough to have another warrior around most of the time so we can keep both CS/BS up for bosses). I've also started using Endless Rage flasks for raids and harder heroics (won't burn one of those for something like UK).

The Shield Slam macro looks interesting, going to give that a try.

Thanks again to all, I appreciate the responses.

+ Reply to Thread