+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Offtank in Naxx

New Offtank in Naxx

So most of you know I'm a fresh off the boat warrior tank. Tomorrow night I am going to be offtanking (for the first time) the Plague, Deathknight, and Abom wing. Looking for any and all advice I can get as far as the bosses, trash, anything I didn't see in the video's here I religously watched. Even advice on flask's and such so I don't seem so noobish in this endeavor. Thanx in advance for your expert advice.

Don't think so much into it, theres not much to wow pve.

follow this rule for pretty much all boss fights

kill adds and stay out of aoe

It's pretty easy OTing Naxx. Just listen to your MT and do what he tells you to do. If you have any questions, don't be afraid ask. It's better to ask and get things right than screwing up.

The way I see raids is that it's a bigger heroic instance with more people. Just do what you usually do as a tank during 5 mans (hold aggro, watch for mobs going for healers, etc.). Oh yea...be sure not to taunt off the other tank (well unless if he dies and you taunt the boss to save the raid..) :P

In terms of consumables and such, I would just bring either the +30 stam or +40 stam food. Stoneblood flasks might also help if your hp is lacking.

Have fun and good luck!

uhh there's a few notable mobs that you want to handle first.

like in the plague quarter there are gargoyles, these need to be take on ideally alone (no other add pulls) because they need to be burned down fast before they finish casting stone form or else they turn immune and heal up for a bit. You'll see when you reach the first stairway down there are 2 sets of 2 gargoyles (one at entrance one at exit of stairs) Don't be fooled into thinking it's a clear stairway, they do come to life when you get close enough so make sure you and the MT know which one is tanking which.

Also in the plague quarter are those annoying slimes at the beginning, whoever gets aggro from them (assuming you don't tank it) needs to kite them while the rest of the raid dps's, they hit hard so don't let them catch anyone, if it means taunting it and taking a big hit do it, it's your job as a tank, but it's not a bad thing to let someone else kite it if they know what they're doing.

In the military quarter you should take note of the Dark Touched Knights or whatever, these guys need to die first in packs because they whirlwind for a lot of damage, they are susceptible to stuns though so if you and the MT want to work out a stunning system that works as well.

In the abomination quarter just be wary of slimes that periodically spawn, and beware of frogger boss. Oh and the Giant guys right inside of Grobbulus's room punt you so tank em with your back to the wall.

In Spider wing... well there's not much that I can remember, pretty basic wing really.

But your MT should go over these things with you and the raid before hand mostly anyways, this is just a headsup.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I eat Wyrm Delight if I'm hitting things from behind or Rhinolicious Wyrmsteak if I'm in front of them. Either a Stoneblood Flask or some Elixirs of Mighty Fortitude along with Strength or Expertise elixirs.

Encounters:

On Noth, make sure you and the other OT(s) know which bone piles you're watching for add spawns. Heroic Throw or run up and Shield Slam one add as soon as you can target it, then look for a second one and Charge at it ASAP.

On Grobb, just Taunt those slimes and make sure they don't get close to any of your ranged DPS or healers while you're killing them.
    Real tanks do 2000 DPS.

Thnx for the advice everyone ,, one question I have is take a straight forward boss, should I as an offtank be in defense stance using revenge ,, SS , devastate , or should I switch to fury so I dont pull aggro off the main tank.

Depends on the fight. For one tank fights like Thaddius, you will never get hit so there's no point staying in defensive stance.

For Patchwerk you need to be in defensive stance. For other fights like Gluth and Grobbulus what I did was I dps-ed in berserker stance, then switched to defensive when it was my time to taunt. Sure you lose a lot of rage but 1) you probably didn't have that much to begin with and 2) you'll get it back now that you're tanking something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    like in the plague quarter there are gargoyles, these need to be take on ideally alone (no other add pulls) because they need to be burned down fast before they finish casting stone form or else they turn immune and heal up for a bit. You'll see when you reach the first stairway down there are 2 sets of 2 gargoyles (one at entrance one at exit of stairs) Don't be fooled into thinking it's a clear stairway, they do come to life when you get close enough so make sure you and the MT know which one is tanking which.
    God, I hate them--my guild just encountered them last night for the first time.

Wowhead link: Stoneskin Gargoyle

At 30% they will start casting Stoneskin, which is a 6-second cast. The raid will need to finish them off, otherwise they will turn invincible and cast a HoT on themselves. It's like a "dps check" as you will. We failed miserably during that two-gargoyle pull and had to call it a night as two people had to go.
    I've got more plate than your grandma's cupboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristessa View Post
    God, I hate them--my guild just encountered them last night for the first time.

Wowhead link: Stoneskin Gargoyle

At 30% they will start casting Stoneskin, which is a 6-second cast. The raid will need to finish them off, otherwise they will turn invincible and cast a HoT on themselves. It's like a "dps check" as you will. We failed miserably during that two-gargoyle pull and had to call it a night as two people had to go.

Split them up and pull them apart (LoS) behind a wall etc and keep one healer with the 2nd DPS target then you don't eat dual poison stacks which make it easy mode.

+ Reply to Thread