+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking heroics at level 80

Tanking heroics at level 80

to get started, character is Slayzer, on the stormrage realm, and this The World of Warcraft Armory is the link to my armory page.

My problem is that I attempted to tank Heroic Utgarde keep, and from my understanding from all the research I've done on def capping, what my HP should be, talent specs, what my armor should be. I'm pretty much spot on, save for a few talent points which I plan to rework ASAP, now to get the chase, it was impossible, I entered the room with the proto drakes in it and died on nearly every pull, except when they went down before fire breath. I also seemed to taking an insane amount of damage, which the healer and I (We're IRL friends and have been running together for ages) thought was really abnormal. So i questioned my spec, and my gear, but after much more research, I found that I was using the gear I was expected to be using, and as I said earlier my spec is pretty much identical to the most common 80 prot warrior tanking specs.

what i'm looking for is some insight into maybe why I was going down so fast, the only theory that I have is that spell damage is eating away at my health faster than a healer can heal me.

I am open to any and all criticism of my build and gear, I need to know what I'm doing wrong.

Get a new healer? Your gear is fine for Heroic UK...an occasional wipe is one thing, but if he is letting you die on every pull then he needs help, not you. Yes your gear could improve, but you actually have better gear than I did when I started doing heroics. Try doing the same heroic with a different healer, see how it goes.

The proto drakes in that room hurt. Plain and simple.
    The way I made it easier for the healers was getting more HP, and more defense stats.

I don't know prot war specs, but most of your gear has no enchants, which if you did get some would make it easier.

What enchants would you recommend, i'm 2 def rating from capping for 10/25 man content, so i'm worried about getting my HP and maybe a little AP or HR in there too. I was thinking fortitude, but i'm also trying to steer clear of paying for chants until I have the gear to support the decent ones, so i'm not getting the same enchant over and over cause I ran a new dungeon.

LW stam kits and a jormungar (sp?) leg kit would get you over 1000 more hp for like 100g.

not to mention the head enchants are pretty cheap, and a decent upgrade

Sounds like your healer friend was caught off guard tbh. If the two of you have been doing the normal instances for a while he might have fallen asleep on how easy they are to heal.

With your gear you can do the easy heroic's np so just give it another go.

also make sure he has new spells on his bar to use. the healer in my group forgot to switch out to newer ones and couldnt understand why she wasnt healing as well. probably not the issue though since most people leave it set to automatically add new ranks when trained.

hello here is my talent tree please give some opinion about it.
    World of Warcraft Europe -> Talents

what class is ure friend, give me an armory link if poss, Tbh as mentioned your gear should have been fine and i was tanking in attack power greens when i first hit 80 on my druid, Hmm As said id like to see the healers gear and class.

My healer buddy is a priest, and here is his armory link The World of Warcraft Armory . We've never had a problem like this before so it boggled both of our minds considering the gear I have, and my buffed HP sits between 24k and 27k depending on what classes we have in the party.

As mentioned, your gear is fine to start on heroics. Those proto-drakes really do some serious damage, and the only thing better gear will do against their fire breath (which is unaffected by armor and avoidance) is increase your hit points so you can absorb more hits before you need heals. Just make sure your healer is at the top of his game in that room.

For your spec, I recommend moving points from Safeguard and Improved Heroic Strike to get 3/3 Incite. Then as you gear up, when you start running out of rage against heroic or 10-man bosses, you might want to consider moving toward a spec with less survivability and more damage like the Deep Wounds spec that was on front page here recently.

Finally, if you're not already working on it, you should get to Revered with the Argent Crusade as soon as possible for the head enchant. You won't replace your Tempered Titansteel Helm until at least the Four Horsemen in Naxx10, so adding 37 stam and 20 defense rating to it will be well worth the cost.

Yea i'm already working towards the head enchant, and I hadn't really thought about moving the points from Imp HS and Safeguard to incite, although I use TC a lot so it should have been first on my list. Ah well, I guess I was lookin at survivability and not so much on the damage front. I'd like to thank you guys for all your input, it's been really helpful, and taken away a lot of doubt I had about how I was performing.

Moved from Theory and Articles to General.
    Armstrong
    <Elysium>
    Burning Legion US

I agree with the other responses. I'm very sure I had just about the same amount of gear when I started running H-UK, with similar talents to yours.

The drakes' fire breath hurt. Nothing you can do; it's the healing.
    I've got more plate than your grandma's cupboard.

Just had a look at you healer friends gear and he should not have any issues healing you. I have healed tanks at you level with my resto drood and with worse gear then he has. He realy need to step up his game with pre casting big heals etc. Personaly i hot the tank up and toss rejuv on the rest while spamming regrowth on the tank. Sure they do more then average damage and sometimes they hit alot of the team members, but its not that much if you know the damage is coming and spam heal.

One thing you gotta remember about those drakes there is they have a tendancy to kick you back out of the healers range as well. I always turn em sideways so the party doesn't get hit with the firebreath then backup to a wall so the knockback doesn't push me back further. Honestly I think I hit HUK with around 24k unbuffed HP in mostly blues and one or two greens (Rings/Trinkets).

+ Reply to Thread