+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking Trinkets?

Tanking Trinkets?

Currently my tanking trinkets are the Essence of Gossamer - Item - World of Warcraft for HP (and the proc is nice too), and Seal of the Pantheon - Item - World of Warcraft for defense rating.

I'm having a hard time locating raid trinkets to replace these. My def is currently 540 exactly, so I definitely would like to upgrade to another +def trinket. And the HP is very nice on the Gossamer, but I could replace it with something else, as long as the benefit was higher.

Just looking for some suggestions. I'm a DK by the way.

There is another good defense trinket: Repelling Charge - Item - World of Warcraft . As for another one, Gossamer has the most stamina, except jewelcrafting BoP trinkets, but there are some avoidance and TPS oriented ones avaliable, for example Valor Medal of the First War - Item - World of Warcraft

what Immortal said, there are actually very few tanking trinkets out right now.

When I'm tank spec, my dodge rating is about 21% and my parry rating is about 20%. Do you think that changing out the Gossamer for the Valor Medal would be a good idea? or should I stick with the HP plus the proc effect?

Also, thanks for pointing out the drop from Thaddius. My guild has currently gotten as far as Gluth, so I haven't seen it drop yet.

In my opinion Gossamer is one of the best. You can't go wrong with stamina.

I had the Seal of the Pantheon for awhile and was glad to be rid of it once I got my defense up in other areas. I like to think of the Pantheon as a crutch until you can make up that defense.

Using Valor Medal of the First War now with Gossamer now and I keep trinkets like the the Repelling Charge and the Seal of the Pantheon around for when I need to wear Frost Resist Gear but still am main tanking it.

except... that defense is probably the best avoidance stat right now even over dodge because you get miss, dodge, parry, and undiminished block rating.

So saying that seal of pantheon is a crutch is kinda backwards. Defense is good, leading up to 540 and beyond. Trading defense for dodge albeit netting you a minor increase in avoidance because of the lower dodgerating conversion, makes you lose out on even spreading of avoidance (which is good thanks to DRs) and block rating.

I think equivalent ratings in dodge versus block makes you lose .04% avoidance but gains .33% block.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

kaze has the answers =).

I am a fan of the Seal. I have it right now along with the other blue that gives a block value increase on use. Forget the name. I like them both and haven't found any upgrades worth spending badges/grinding runs for.

Their is also a Block Rating/Block Value proc trinket from heroic VH, think the dog boss, Lavander's or somesuch, that is pretty nice, especially for trash and aoe.

That is a good catch Kaze I'm going to have to look closer and see if If I'm benefiting more from the Valor Medal of the First War or the Repelling Charge. Though I don't think you will talk me out of 111 Stamina

Thanks

I think people underrate the Alchemy Trinkets.

The SSO epic is +54 defense. While Indestructible Alchemist's Stone - Item - World of Warcraft trades 35 stamina for a huge amount of dodge. I can't quite justify swapping this for Gossamer actually.

Heck, even Mighty Alchemist's Stone - Item - World of Warcraft compares favorably is the baby (and cheaper) version of Mirror of Truth - Item - World of Warcraft.

For completeness, a truly awful tanking trinket drops from Gundrak: Offering of Sacrifice - Item - World of Warcraft

You forgot
    Indestructible Alchemist's Stone - Item - World of Warcraft
    ;-)

Also this version of Greatness will be of interest to druid tanks (and some non druids I'm sure).
    Darkmoon Card: Greatness - Item - World of Warcraft

yes, avoidance tanks will like the agi trinket as well and must've overlooked the alch stone hehe.

Im using:

Repelling Charge - huge defense opens up options in other slots and the HP buff serves as another panic button in a boss encounter.

Essence of Gossamer - Pure Stam, nuff said.

I have in my bags Valor Medal of the First War, so far the only situation I could see needing it would be if I am the hateful tank on Patchwerk in 25 man naxx.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

i'm using the same bodasafa, and i swap out the essence for my Lavanthor's for trash. I haven't purchased the Valor yet, I can't find a reason to really use it =T

Repelling charge as main trinket that never changes.
    Essence of Gossamer swaps with another defense trinket or a shield block trinket depending on the fight.

+ Reply to Thread