+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So, how much threat should a WAR produce?

So, how much threat should a WAR produce?

Went through the forums and found the Optimoos' Threat Simulator which I find a fascinating tool, ran it with my stats & talents plugged in. I got my TPS which was around 2k and about 123k produced in 1min. Just how much threat SHOULD I be producing in one minutes time?

Here is a link to my armory...

The World of Warcraft Armory

P.s. fairly new to the forum but I find it greatly helpful! Also if there is a thread already started about this could someone please point me to it?

Thanks for your help!
    Ronald

>.< .... there are some great posts around here about rotation, threat, and most importantly spec's

If you change your spec around you will find yourself pushing out a lot more threat.

If you were level 70 right now with decent gear 2k threat is still pretty low, take the time and look around the website. You will get a lot more out of that than hoping someone will feed you the answers.

atm in my guild we have a druid tank that cant hold agro of the geared dpsers and hes doing 3-4k threat, im the main tank and i have arround 6k tps raid buffed, and do just fine, theres sometimes in malygos some of the locks get awfully close to me in threat but thats all. Look arround theres tones of builds u can use to kick up ur tps some.

So, how much threat should a WAR produce?

More then you highest DPS.
    The answer is user error

I regularly put out 3-6K TPS in 10 Man content (according to Omen, so take that for what it's worth) dependant on Boss and Buffs.

Your spec isn't bad, and your gear way out does mine. I speculate you're either not taking full advantage of Sword n'board (not to be confused with the previous posters name) or perhaps you're sitting rage capped and not heroic striking enough on fights. Other than that it could be a really bad latency, but 2k tps was what 70 tanks put out in ~T5 content if I remember correctly. If it's just that spreadsheet that's telling you your threat get rid of it. It's probably not right. If you're having trouble with threat, it's probably your rotation. Maybe you need to up hit and expertise a bit too?

General priority of offensive abilities, from highest to lowest priority, assuming TC and Demo Shout are up, and 5/5 Sunders.

Dependant on Cooldowns

1: Shield Slam
    2: Revenge (with a Heroic Strike as you should have it Glyphed)
    3: Concussion Blow
    4: Shock Wave
    5: Devastate

With Heroic Strike spammed as often as rage allows.

Edit: This also assumes a single Tank boss, not AoE/Trash or 'Special' bosses.
    Last edited by sorednbored; 01-06-2009 at 10:47 AM.

Ranaldo u'r expertise and Hit are way low, and u might want to follow Cider's suggestion on talent point placement as well. (15/5/51)

Thanks guys for your responses. I think my ability priorities were off... I'm looking at getting the +15 expertise rating for bracers. I'm going to try switching my priority up a little to see if that helps.

I recommend you consider to respecc some other points too. Critical block is a key talent whereas improved shield wall certainly is not. I suggest you put one point from shield wall into critical block, the other in improved spell reflection to fill up both talents. The rest seems fine, more expertise wouldn't hurt, but that somehow also depends on your dropluck. What you can also do is gem for +8 Exp +12 Stam instead of +8 Dodge +12 Stam, your avoidance seems fine, that shouldn't hurt much.

A very rough way to find out the (sustained) TPS you're producing is to double your DPS, and then add 10% of the person you had vigilance on's DPS.

Example, I do 3000 DPS on Patchwerk. About double that (but add more, cause of innate threat on abilities, 2.0735 modifier instead of a solid 2, etc) and let's say 6500. Now 10% of the person I had vigilance on, and they did a bit over 5k, so 500. So, 7k TPS. Very rough, and actually off, but it's a way.

Remember, Omen's "burst" numbers that show up aren't your TPS, and I'm seeing it crop up all the time again, which is to be expected

5k sustained TPS now is generally plenty, it's certainly possible to do significantly more (my max was 8000~ on Patchwerk), but will take circumstances where you have infinite rage and little to no mobility required at all.

Your TPS should simply be enough to hold off of your DPS. If your DPS has to throttle their DPS when you're tanking, you aren't putting enough threat out.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

a great threat tank was hitting over 2k tps in t5 content, yes. most didn't come close. i'm talking about before the 3.0 shit hit.
    Former healbot now a Disgruntled protection warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by protonly View Post
    a great threat tank was hitting over 2k tps in t5 content, yes. most didn't come close. i'm talking about before the 3.0 shit hit.
    That is quite accurate. There has been some bs around the many forums that claims insubstantial figures.

Now for Heroic 5 mans, 2-3k tps should be fine and no dps will be able to pull aggro before the mob dies. If the dps can do more than your tps, the mob will die too fast to be any threat.

On tank and spank boss fights, 3-4k will suffice.

The 10 mans are very tricky, you will have dpsers who are not savvy enough to understand the true meaning of dps. For example, you often get those mages who start before the tank aggros and think that their dps is awesome when it crits for a big number. These dpsers often build large initial threat but falls off the table just as fast.

This is also when the raid gets very buffed and dps can hit the roof. You should be hitting 5-6k safely with the buffs.

Remember to never compensate survival abilities for threat in managing your Global cooldowns.

Tanking is not just about threat and soaking the damage, its about not letting the mob get to others.

2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Juon View Post
    Now for Heroic 5 mans, 2-3k tps should be fine and no dps will be able to pull aggro before the mob dies. If the dps can do more than your tps, the mob will die too fast to be any threat.
    This is key. Most people don't realize this when they're looking at TPS that seems low...in most situations mobs will die too fast so its no biggie. Bosses are where a low tps can hurt since they're taunt immune and don't normally die in 3 seconds
    Former healbot now a Disgruntled protection warrior.

Just ask your DPS. If they say they have to hold back, you're not doing enough TPS. Xav gives a very good detailed answer though.

+ Reply to Thread