+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recommended #s to shoot for?

Recommended #s to shoot for?

Hola peoples! I found this site while looking up information on Death Knights (to see if I wanted to abandon my Paladin Tank in favor of a Death Knight) but I'm primarily a healer (Shaman). On top of that, I've got a bit of OCD in that I absolutely will not walk into a "difficult" situation until I'm as ready as I can be for it.

The situation in question right now, is Naxxramas/Heroics. I hate going into an instance and finding out I'm not ready for it thereby wasting the groups times and a few wipes. So I'm hoping someone can give me some rough figures for what they'd recommend in terms of healing stats (MP5, Spellpower, etc...) I should shoot for before actually trying my hand at Naxxramas or some easy Heroics.

I know the tank makes a difference, but just working off the assumption that a tank is geared to survive with a decent healer...

Typically I've seen shamans and pallys want to shoot for about 1.3k spellpower, and wearing almost all blues appropriate for their spec before starting to heal heroics.... and about 1.5k before wanting to heal raids. More specifics like spell crit, mana per 5, or spell haste are imo a bit harder to pin down, because those stats nowadays are largely dependent on what you as a healer want to do.

If you've got all blues you're fine for heroics. I started healing heroics pretty much as soon as I hit 80.

Our guild is starting Naxx 10 on Tuesday, so we've been running heroics non-stop to prepare for that. As a Disc Priest I'm at 1765 sp, 20k mana, 295 mp5, 15.73% crit, and 16% haste before raid buffs.

Obviously this depends on your tanks gear as well as your dpsers' gear. If you have very good dpsers that can take down mobs and bosses fast, mana regen and mana won't be as big of a problem. As for spell power I would have to agree with qygibo, 1,3k is around where you'll be in blues and that's fine for heroics. Around 1,5k spell power sounds right for raids (10 man) as well, though if you have at least one other healer that's very well geared you could get away with having one healer sitting at a little over 1,4k. In our last raid we had one healer with about 1,5k and the other was a boomkin gone resto with about 14500 spell power. I however have 2k self buffed (2,3k with totem) so that made up for their gear a little.

We took down both Sartharion and Archavon with only two healers. Myself and the same boomkin gone resto from Naxx. I was sitting at about 56% healing done for Archavon, but it can be done with 2 healers as the fights are relatively simple.

Anyway, I hope that despite all the waffel, something in there helped you.

I think your level of comfort is more important than your spell power numbers. Many of the heroics are not very difficult, so just be confident. It does help to have a pocket tank. Find someone you like playing with and then your numbers will not be the issue.

As for my own experience, I was healing heroics in full 70 gear just fine. It was sunwell/t6 gear, but still. I don't remember what my numbers were. I also two healed all of naxx but KT in 70 gear, so you can prob do more than you think. A few runs through 10 mans and you'll be 2k+, so it is quick.

Edit: As qygibo reminded me, my comments are priest centric. I can't really talk for others. Also, I guess heroics being easy depends largely on who your running them with. I have found them easy, but I run them with guildies. YMMV.
    Last edited by Ott; 12-08-2008 at 01:39 PM.

I'd have to somewhat disagree that heroics aren't hard... some of them can be difficult for shamans and for pallies when you have to move around, and while shamans and pallies have been made more mobile with the changes to their healing spells, it is still somewhat more difficult to be mobile than a priest or a druid.

That said, there's also somewhat of the expectation that a tank and a healer somewhat overgear the instance. I have seen a lot of dps going into heroics and they have greens on. Tanks and healers have to be geared to the nines, with their items enchanted, whereas dps seem to get that bit of a break, especially from what I've seen in heroics.

heroics

I disagree on it being easy on DPSers.

I've had a wide range of PUGs for heroics. It just varies alot depending on your group composition... but the times when I've run into problems the #1 cause has been lack of DPS. Some of the trash pulls and many of the bosses require a decent amount of DPS... such as (what's his name?) the giant Oracle boss in Gundrak that enrages after 5mins and 1 or 2-shots the tank and 1-shots everyone else. If your DPS is sub-par I think you're going to run into issues in the higher difficaulty heroics. Like in H Violet Hold were the waves are on timers, have to kill the previous waves fast enough, etc. Also there are somewhat "hidden" DPS checks just because some of the bosses hit the tank for a lot of dmg and have a lot of health, so the healer will OOM at some point reguardlss of tank and healer gear/abilities.

That being said, Nexus and Utgarde Keep were easy right out of the gate, but I'm still not sure about many greens? with everyone in lvl76-80 blues so I'd say just hop right into those first and have fun, as your group to use some CC to make it easier(so many don't bother anymore it seems to me) get a piece of gear or 2, and some confidence, and carry on.

Oh, I guess I should add that I heal as holy priest.

I know that the heroic instances aren't easy, but I've been seeing dps in more greens than I like going into hard encounters like Heroic CoT or Heroic VH straight after turning 80, or worse, in more pre-WoLK epics than I'd like to see. And nothing gets said, even though prior to WoLK coming out I remember reading that the expectation was for people to have blue level 80ish gear enchanted to the nines before doing the Heroics. (Well, and I don't say anything, mostly because I usually come off as a jackass when I do say something, and our raid leader has gotten on me to stop )

If you want straight numbers I did it completely unbuffed (including Earthliving and Water Shield) [edit the numbers are WITHOUT Earthliving and Water Shield] 1050sp, 200mp5 and worked up from there. It's gotten alot easier now with 1700sp but that is to be expected
    Last edited by hvidgaard; 12-12-2008 at 12:56 AM. Reason: clarifing

Would someone please offer me some advice?
    I am leading our RG into Naxx for the 1st time on January 4th.
    Looking at my build and stats do you think I am ready to heal the MT when we go in?
    The World of Warcraft Armory

here is the MT's build :The World of Warcraft Armory

These are obviously unbuffed my mana hits 17.5k buffed and my +spell is around 1.5k

Thanks in advance

@Unrak: Do as many heroics as possible to start replacing your greens with epics and higher quality blues. You gear is totally lacking mp5, so boost that up as much as you can. On my Disc Priest I run with 20k mana and 275 mp5 unbuffed and I still have to play smart and manage my mana or risk running out of cooldowns. Just look for epics from badges, heroic drops, rep rewards, and crafted items that have lots of int, sp, crit, mp5, and some haste.

Ideally you'd want to be equipped in blues and heroic epics before you started Naxx, and level 80 blues and epics at that. A green might be acceptable depending on the green, but Naxx is really tough compared to Kara and even ZA. It requires a lot of coordination and lots of dps pushing and can be very healing intensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Unrak View Post
    Would someone please offer me some advice?
    I am leading our RG into Naxx for the 1st time on January 4th.
    Looking at my build and stats do you think I am ready to heal the MT when we go in?
    The World of Warcraft Armory

here is the MT's build :The World of Warcraft Armory

These are obviously unbuffed my mana hits 17.5k buffed and my +spell is around 1.5k

Thanks in advance
    The Nexus (heroic) :
    Very good main hand from the last boss. (epic, 404 sp, 43 int and 19 mp5, lack of crit, though)
    Nice belt from the ice elemental boss.
    Good neck from the arcane elemental boss.
    Great gloves from the dwarf boss.
    I'm not quite sure, but I think that the mage boss drops 2 bracers, one mail and a plate that would be a good upgrade for you too.

Argent Crusade rep:
    Great legs at honored if i'm not wrong.
    At exalted you will get a ring and an helm, both epics.

If you check, all of this gear will have huge amounts of + intelect, sometimes with no stamina or not with a very good spell power, but you will find very usefull to have 23k mana just with kings. This mana pool and a good amount of healing and crit (provided only for your high int mainly) will be more than enough for a good performance at heroics and to start naxx 10man.
    Just focus on int blues, after that you can change back to crit or haste with naxx epic gear.

And learn a new rotation with divine plea and new spells is crucial for not going OOM real fast, use your cooldowns wisely.
    Last edited by Raiss; 12-16-2008 at 07:10 AM.
    Raiss ~ Holy Paladin @ Gurubashi Horde.
    Chosen Man.

thanks for all the help people
    i have already replaced my libram with one from the badges so that's a start.
    I will work on heroics over the next 2 weeks and hope i get the drops.

Thanks again

I started heroics with around 1.3k SP and *blush* forgot to update Clique, so my first heroics were healed with lvl 70 spells. But I kinda did okay. Entered Naxx25 with close to 1.4k SP to clear two quaters.

It really depends on your experience as a healer. If you know what you're doing, don't worry about numbers at all, just try. If you're really insecure, read the boss strats, maybe craft 1-2 epics or do some non-heroics runs. 1-2 weeks of heroics and/or raiding will let your SP jump up anyways.
    http://www.shieldsup.ch - Another Resto Shaman Blog

As far as Priests go, I found 1500-1600 unbuffed for Spellpower to be sufficient, and mana should be at -least- 14k unbuffed as well. Get a good 15% minimum crit if you're Concentration build, too. If you've a Moonkin, make sure you're grouped with that Druid's party for the raid, that buff will save you mucho mana in free Flash/Greater Heals.

Make friends with Alcys and Cooks too (Or do it y'self xP). Elixirs of Spellpower and Spirit are your friends, or Deep Thought elixirs if you think you've got enough Spirit or aren't using the talent for it. Feasts will get you love and hugs in groups, too.

Just wanted to say THANKS! to all who replied to my post and for all the usefull and helpful PM's.

I led my RG into Sartharion tonight and we got her 1 st time. Then we went to naxx and cleared Spider wing with no deaths.

My raid buffed stats ended up as:
    • 461 mana regen while not casting
    • 217 while casting
    • +2035 Spellpower
    • 21.60% crit
    • 18874 mana
    and my build / kit is The World of Warcraft Armory

....yes i am wearing mail O_O

Thanks again all you great people at Tankspot!

One of my RL friends is a holy priest and he is sitting at 1794 spell power, 9.44% crit, 294 mp5, and close to 17k mana, but only 86 haste rating, I think he has a haste set though. He has been in 25 naxx

armory link

+ Reply to Thread