+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot War dps vs. Prot Pally dps

Prot War dps vs. Prot Pally dps

So I am wondering if I am just failing as a Warrior Tank or if I just can't compete with Prot Pally dps. On avg I do about 1.3 - 1.6k dps on heroics and in raids. My OT in guild will do about 1.9 - 2.1k dps.

I am deep wounds spec and I also am lacking a dps war or feral dps druid in my raids so I may not be getting full dps possible with deep wound spec.

Even with my dps/threat gear on I can barely keep up with him on dps. Is it just how the classes differ or am I missing something? I follow the basic rotation dev to 5 - Rev>Shield Slam>Conc>Shock>Dev - S&B when up - Mixing in debuffs into the rotation.

Any help or just confirmation that Pally Tanks will out DPS Prot Warriors would be appreciated.

Armory Profile -
    The World of Warcraft Armory

Could be interesting to know if the said paladin is abusing of ShoR bug. Cause if he is, no way you can compete with him.
    Worlde - Prot Paladin
    Darkworldie - Tank DW Frost DK
    Uord - Prot Warrior
    Huordie - Feral / Resto Druid

Said bug being the double shield slam that pallys have atm correct? If so then yes he using that. So can i expect to see closer numbers once the patch comes out in terms of dps?

We are also similarly geared

Ty for all the input

All will be revealed in time

I am sure it could be any number of things.... but don't think you aren't good just because a paladin tank out DPS's you right now...

you have to remember, when the patch comes out, they are fixing a bug that allowed our shield bash (Shield of the Righteous) rank 1 and rank 2 have separate cool downs right now... it isn't suppose to be that way and is listed to be fixed on next patch but right now paladins can cause an extra 2-8K dmg every 6 seconds depending on shield block value and crit chances of that pally... So if you are going to go comparing yourself with us... wait till we aren't chessing the damage meters because at the moment I am able to have even some of the DPS scratching there heads when they look at recount...

I think I'm going to have seperation depression when they fix it =D I'll get a reality check that, again, I'm just a tank, not meant to DPS =)

And also the fact that they generate way too much theat with that thingie... D:

Gonna be really annoying to be the lowest dps tanks again, they rly need to fix paladins so that they do decent dps (changing the threat multiplier or give us a different strike to weave in GCDs permitting). This whole bug thing has totally hidden that fact, and probably done paladins a bad service in the longer term.

Well personally I don't use that particular bug and while my DPS is higher then our OT Warrior at the moment it's more because he is lacking the gear. I think I'm in agreement with everyone here that once that ShoR bug is fixed you'll see alot of pally tanks complaining about their drop in dps. Personally I'm just happy to finnally be over the 1k dps (I'm averaging around 1100 DPS in 5 Man Heroics right now).

Quote Originally Posted by juspugit View Post
    Gonna be really annoying to be the lowest dps tanks again, they rly need to fix paladins so that they do decent dps (changing the threat multiplier or give us a different strike to weave in GCDs permitting). This whole bug thing has totally hidden that fact, and probably done paladins a bad service in the longer term.
    I don't exploit the RSS bug and I do 2000+ in raids. There isn't a prot warrior in my guild that can keep up with me.

Rss?
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Rss?
    righteous shield slam.

SHoR is part of a beach.

^^Hmm, word from PTR has pally and warrior threat at the same lvl since the changes. Given our multipliers that means we have to be doing less dps than them.

Now i do high dps in raids, AOE tanking (3.4k dps offtanking sarth adds one mad pug, 2.3k+ military wing nax). When it comes to tank neutral boss fights - not patchwerk - it's a lot lower. Sapphiron (10) this week I think i did 1.2kish (tho i was spamming sacred shield a lot). Pretty sure that when i follow standard 969 on neurtal bosses my dps is far lower than the figures you're quoting (2.5k ap, 141 dps wep)

Warriors when moved from heroic to boss tanking suddenly find their target has higher armor and higher parry rates, that means our dps changes from heroic to raid level.

Another thing is that paladin's personal dps is boosted in raids both by ap buffs and spellpower buffs.

Third thing that tanks are most likely balanced around Tps and not Dps, and with Shield Slam being a really big part of our rotation through SNB, a big part of our threat comes from static "this ability causes a lot of threat", and not from damage multiplied by def stance.

When you take a look at US official tanking forum you amy see that low dps of protection warrior is quite debated issue, hopefully some feedback will reach Blizzard too.
    ^^Hmm, word from PTR has pally and warrior threat at the same lvl since the changes. Given our multipliers that means we have to be doing less dps than them.
    That is wrong. Our highest tps ability is Shield Slam, and we use it way often than paladins use ShotR. Significant aprt of SHield Slam's threat is static added value, independent of damage.

Ok, but even with a higher initial threat on your Slam, the paladin threat modifier is far higher on our holy attacks. I'm pretty certain that on a non-undead, non-fast hitting bosses paladin and warrior dps will be very similar (given gear lvl). I'm more than sure that warrior dps will scale better than paladin dps. Maybe I'm wrong in my little certainties.

Personally i think the best boss to measure this on would be archavon. No adds, not fast hitter, not undead. Some movement, but less than in the dragon fights.

+ Reply to Thread