+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Duel Spec's as a Tank.

Duel Spec's as a Tank.

While no one knows when they are going to drop duel specs, it is inevitable. So I have been thinking about what my alternate spec would be. I am typically main tank (warrior).

I understand that even as one of the regular MT's in the guild there may be boss encounters where it would be highly advantageous to have a different class tank and for me to dps.

So I was pondering several options:

1) Pure Tank
    -Boss Encounter
    WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Warrior -> Talent Calculator
    -Threat

2) Tank / Titans Grip/SBV
    - General Tank
    - Titans Grip spec with a gear set stacked with SBV equips and STR gems, using a 2h wep in the main hand and a shield in the OH.

3) Tank/ DPS
    - General Tank
    - DPS
    Don't really have one for here, Ive been a tank all my life in raids, so Im not sure what a good pure dps spec would be.

So with these ideas in place, I have a few questions for everyone:
    1) Which of these combos do you like best and why?
    2) Would you use one of these combos?
    3) Would a Titans Grip/SBV set up do an equal amount of damage as a pure DPS set up?
    4) If you dont like any of my options what will you be using as your 2 specs?
    5) What spec would you suggest for a pure dps one?
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Tank/pure TG would be your best bet. You would have to collect two full sets of gear but Naxx is a lootfest so it shouldn't be that hard. I highly doubt 2h + shield would out DPS 2x 2h because of rage generation problems. Your off hand provides a lot of your rage, especially if you're using Heroic Strike a lot. I personally will be going with a 15/3/53 and 18/53 combo. Take a look at the DPS forum here for spec ideas.
    Why use big words when a diminutive alternative will suffice?
    http://www.tankspot.com/photoplog/im...nnaxxramas.jpg

^^^+1. full tank spec and then have a nice TG spec to use when not tanking.

I think having duel specs is great for tanks, i mean there are encounters where it pays to have a duel spec, not only to help dps raid wide but also give you a chance if you pvp...no more respecing for arena...and then a few mins later tank a 25man raid w/o droppin gold for it. I like the idea that and ive already assembled a full dps set though ive only been a dps spec for 2 fights since the release of wrath. I do it purely for the simple fact that i dunno what i might wanna do down the road, heck i might get a mean streak and not want to tank anymore or atleast for awhile.

This also gives for certian fights, aka, Loatheb, Sapph, Heigan, and Meaxxena where you really only have 1 tank, though still recoverable if a the tank dies, but given super gear level that doesnt happen often, and having another tank being able to do something useful rather then just sit there and spam shield slam for sub-par dps would help for faster kills.

+ Reply to Thread