+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TBC veteran requiring some advice

TBC veteran requiring some advice

Hi there, long time lurker, time first posting

I've been away from the game since patch 3.0, I'm about to return and experience Northrend for myself (when Amazon delivers WotLK >.<). I've read the valuable info here as regards the new tanking mechanics & gearing, but there's a couple things I couldn't find addressed which I hope my fellow warrior tanks can help with.

What's best as regards gear selection for levelling? I plan to level as prot spec; can I just strap on my DPS plate and my shield, or is it better to stack raw Block Value for Shield Slams and survivability? My DPS gear is T5 level/ZA/Badge stuff, my tank gear is T6 level/ZA/Badge stuff. I think I have pretty much all the +BV plate and rings/trinkets (excluding Sunwell loot).

Also, I've not tanked since just before patch 3.0, so I was curious just how different I'm going to find things when I come to tank my first instance. To paraphrase Yoda will I have to "unlearn all that I have learned"? Is tanking radically different?

This turned out longer than I expected, thanks for reading

its not completely different. the same basic threat rotation exists with a few changes.

You have to get used to sword and board procs. get a combat text that shows when it procs. u will also have to add shockwave and concussion blow into your rotation. the best slot is right before SS comes off the gcd.

enjoy the extra damage you will be doing

as for leveling wear your best piece of gear you have for each slot. I personally wore 4pc T6 with mostly dps gear in other slots.

Keep a fast weapon for HS spam, and the best shield u can as u progress. stacking str/stam imo is the best way to go. tanking northrend isntances is a snap. u shouldnt need CC, ever. unless you, your healer, and your dps r all very undergeared. Once you hit 80, craft some cheap rares/epics. And you shouldnt have any problem tanking heriocs, thats when the epics start to just flow in also dont forget about emblems/rep tabards and wintergrasp!

Yeah, it's entirely doable to level entirely in prot spec, prot gear. Might be a touch slower than DPS gear, but only a touch, and it won't take you long at all to hit 80.

I personally leveled with all my raiding gear, check a few trinkets, from 70-80 and was within 2 days of the server first. With our survivablility and new damage output specing DPS or wearing dps gear is kind of a waste, id rather keep my avoidance and mitigaion specially when you hit 75 and pick up enraged regen. After that its pretty much no down time, no quests mobs, side elites, hit that hard, and now that you have aoe abilities, use them, pick up a handful and tclap/shock wave them to death.

There are alot of nice upgrades though a shield is the hardest one, i started with bulwark of Azz, and i didnt replace it till 80 with a titansteel, so if your shield isnt that good, or atleast harden heart of kazz, id susgest doing some quests till you pick up a decent shield then go to town.

To bring you up to speed, threat is a joke on single targets for warriors. atleast im thinking your a warrior. And even then its a joke around the board. You do do damage now and i personally think Deep Wounds is your best friend. Pick up a few of the nice quest tank weps and kill stuff, all day, any day.

Many thanks for the input guys, I guess I'll stack the Block Value

Questing, still not sure whether The Unbreakable Will (w/Executioner) or Heartless (w/Potency) will serve me better, any thoughts?

I'll be using TUW when tanking instances, obviously.

+ Reply to Thread