+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Year's Day Podcast

Yeah I won't try to make an excuse for when we're just randomly quiet for no reason, but that's something I imagine will iron out with more experience =)
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Breagan View Post
    Some of the more successful podcasts (The Instance for example) seem to follow a tighter content script as well as having a little more of a polished feel.

All in all I guess I'd like to see the podcasts have the same level of "Wow that was awesome!" and professionalism as the PM movies.
    I appreciate the constructive criticism.

The podcast exists primarily for information and secondarily for entertainment. You simply aren't going to find too many podcasts with as much reliable information as we've been able to provide. The information, however, requires that we both continue to be progression raiders; When you have a job, raid 16-20 hours a week (less now w/ current content), and administer websites as we both do, recording podcasts is not something we can spend additional hours on.

To help illustrate this, look at any of the Project Marmot movies. The movie gets recorded during times I'm raiding anyway. The whole process takes me 4 hours to produce a single, 10 minute clip. A recorded podcast with only very basic editing takes 4 hours, because of the brainstorming beforehand, the length of the audio (both in recording and in editing). The New Year's podcast was recorded, in full, two other times beforehand, so this podcast has been an 8+hour endeavor.

In the grand scheme of things, podcasts aren't terribly useful. They have a purpose and a place, but the bottom line is that while a Project Marmot movie hits 100,000+ visitors in short order, a single podcast -- even the very best podcasts in WoW -- won't.

We're still providing information, which is what's important to us. In the world of WoW recordings, we're the most game-knowledgeable podcasters. In this podcast, a lot of the information we discussed on Ulduar was all-but-confirmed by Blizzard a few hours later on their raid discussion forums. Separate of predictions, most of our podcasts where we deal with game facts are rock solid and based on a deep reservoire of knowledge we've accumulated over the years. We believe that through the website, movies, and podcasts, we're helping to provide insight, either from ourselves or from others, to players.

What is all this meant to say?
    • We have an audience that appreciates the banter and we have an audience that doesn't. We accept this. Read through the threads below and you'll see the same argument hashed out on both sides by other members.
    • We understand that with more work we can have a more perfect podcast. Occasionally, as with the "Learning From Our Experiences" podcast, you'll see us put in this work. Most of the time you won't. We know.
    • Understand that the same amount of time goes into this site regardless. The reason for a lack of podcasts since we started raiding is because we put out more than 20 endgame movies for the community. This is all a balancing act of time -- we do not have a staff on this site.

Don't you dare change how you do your podcasts! I like the conversational feel to it. Unless you guys have a topic that is supposed to be very structured and informative (*COUGH* WTB Mechanize your guild Part 2 *COUGH*) it makes for a very good listen the way it is.
    Tanks: We like it rough.

Why use big words when a diminutive alternative will suffice?
    http://www.tankspot.com/photoplog/im...nnaxxramas.jpg

I agree with Krashtork. I enjoy listening to you podcasts, especially when driving long distances. The witty banter in the midst of the meat of the podcasts give me time to digest what you all have said. Keep up the good work!

What is a marmot anyways?

If you donated you'd know

Hey Cider, I have to ask, since you're so busy with well, everything, can we make podcasts? I think there's a lot of members of the community with some great things to say that don't get heard, just read. We all know that text can be pretty stoic and a lot of what is said can be lost.

I like how tankspot does it's podcasts, and someday I wouldn't mind sharing my thoughts, specifically on what i've learned about guild leadership.

All in all, tankspot provides the more knowledgeble podcasts. Kurinaxx, Marmots, and Tanking Fact all rolled into one? What could be better?

P.S. "The Instance" is boring anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrivan View Post
    Oh and this guy wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Krashtork View Post
    Hey Cider, I have to ask, since you're so busy with well, everything, can we make podcasts? I think there's a lot of members of the community with some great things to say that don't get heard, just read. We all know that text can be pretty stoic and a lot of what is said can be lost.

I like how tankspot does it's podcasts, and someday I wouldn't mind sharing my thoughts, specifically on what i've learned about guild leadership.

All in all, tankspot provides the more knowledgeble podcasts. Kurinaxx, Marmots, and Tanking Fact all rolled into one? What could be better?

P.S. "The Instance" is boring anyways.
    Sure! This is why I have Veneretio post his podcasts to the community as well.

I'll include the process in the post I'm writing up about software I use for video recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    If you donated you'd know
    I never got the point of donating here. You could easily make your monthly monetary needs through advertisements. Weather you were paid X amount per week or month, paid per site view, or paid per click on the advertisement, you get enough site traffic to meet your needs.

Also, I find it rather disheartening how you would exclude members from things on your site because they would rather donate their 20 dollars to someone who actually needs it.

I am not religious by any means, in fact, I'm atheist. But I simply can't donate money here knowing somebody really needs it over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerlth View Post
    I never got the point of donating here. You could easily make your monthly monetary needs through advertisements. Weather you were paid X amount per week or month, paid per site view, or paid per click on the advertisement, you get enough site traffic to meet your needs.

Also, I find it rather disheartening how you would exclude members from things on your site because they would rather donate their 20 dollars to someone who actually needs it.

I am not religious by any means, in fact, I'm atheist. But I simply can't donate money here knowing somebody really needs it over there.
    We started running advertisements as of two weeks ago. However, please keep in mind that internet advertising has been hurting for years, and while I hope for the best through this current campaign, advertising does not support nearly as much as people assume. Through Google AdSense we made less than $60/mo at a time when server costs were $160/mo early last year. Our operating costs have shot way up since then. We've paid a price for not accepting gold or power-leveling ads.

Per content -- we have zero necessary content restricted from public access. All of our Warcraft guides are public and free for anyone to check out whether they're registered or not. Donating also isn't the only way to get access to those forums (though writing a guide for the sake of forum privileges is strange). If you're concerned enough to post about some of the most willfully off-topic banter on this site being restricted to donors, you're being petty.

Regardless, you're welcome to spend your money how you like and you're welcome to have the opinions you want, but money is a very real necessity for this community, and I'm not going to stop impressing that fact on people.

lol, 0 mana Gothik = Kurinaxx LOL

but hell no don't replace the marmot, you just had a lovechild for gods sake... maybe put up a Kurinaxx in the bottom right/left corner... since you know... he's sneaky....and burrows...

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

How do you know the lovechild is not from an unholy Kurinnaxx/Marmot pairing?

All the more reason to put both up somewhere.

and I just read the posts about not understanding donations.

I donate to charities and to tankspot. funny.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

idk I consider it entertainment costs.. I paid 500 for a ps3 and I have probly spent only 40hours total playing it. I paid $20 bucks to help out a bit here.. and I have spent 1000's of hours on here.(sad I know) but the info here has helped me so much it was an easy choice. Now cider has to convince me to donate again lol

anyway there is no pressure to donate here. simple jokes and a reminder once and a while of the costs. its not like anyone is neglected for not donating. who are these guys to tell you how to spend your money..? that is why they dont tell you how to spend your money.

Confirmed Icecrown Citadel bosses:
    Edwin Van Cleef
    Kurinaxx
    Those Alliance elites that path around The Barrens
    Kurinaxx
    Ciderhelm
    Arthas

Every 10 percent, Arthas spawns a wild pack of Kurinaxx.

Great podcast, guys!

Yes I agree You guys have out done yourselves on those Podcasts. Your Help is just to helpful. ty and lookforward to the Next Podcast in Febuary and beyond.

Since hitting 80 I've become a huge fan of TankSpot, so firstly to everyone who makes this possible you have my thanks. Podcasts. Simply a great idea. When I saw them listed I promptly went and downloaded the ones I thought would help me the most and put them on my iPod to listen to on the hour and a half trek to work. While there was a ton of great information I was a little disappointed when I realized how little time has been spent on including Death Knights into the podcasts. I'm sure that this has been mentioned at some point in the replies but I was far too lazy to scan through them all; Just as you guys have been looking for a Druid to join you on the podcast I think there should be a Death Knight in there as well. It might be a bit overkill, but I think that it would help quite a bit. Just my two cents, but I must job well done and I hope that these continue for a long time.

The shirtless guy in AQ20 is called Lieutenant General Andorov.

Great podcast, I look forward to the next one *nudge*

+ Reply to Thread