+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MT Prio, does anyone use this?

I agree to MT prio to a certain extent.

Giving certain off-set pieces and tokens that hard to replace to MT is totally acceptable, as it benefits the raid progression as whole.

We've been using loot council for a while and it's working perfectly so fine.

Healers are geared,DPS are geared, Tanks are geared.

I'm one of the OTs in my guild and my gear is comming along just fine.

Here's the my armory and the MT's.

Mine:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

MT:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

I agree with it if necessary for progression, but it just so happened that when my guild hit Naxx I (MT) was quite well geared from heroics and badges, and my OT had been 80 for 12 hours. Hence, b/c the guild needed a good OT, I passed the first 10 or so drops to him. That enabled us to clear 4/4 wings that first week, and everything dropped again the second week in. The moral of the story is that when raid progression is on the line, loot needs to go to whoever benefits the whole most; it just so happens that that is usually a MT.

Quote Originally Posted by Criss View Post
    I personally hate MT priority. Any tank who feels like they deserve loot over other classes needs to drop the ego and realize raiding is a team effort. Tanks are a dime a dozen, you are NOT special. Get over yourselves.
    It has nothing to do with tank ego. Hell, most tanks I know would rather not be the one tank that gets passed all the loot and thus tied to the guild permanently.

The question is whether or not it benefits progression.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

I wish my guild had tank priority, then I would be in 4/5 valorous instead of 25man non-sets.

Anyway, the content now its actually better for dps to get their gear, as none of the mobs hit hard on the tanks, other than heroic patchwerk or malygos breathes.

We started using Tank priority on SWP, and it really sped up our progress.
    However we don't just gear up 1 MT, all tanks got higher priority on drops and its settled between the tanks via their dkp, but we usually use common sense as well.

My guild completely relies on dkp, ignoring all priority unless an item simply isnt intelligent for the class or spec to receive. Items go to whoever is in the highest attendance bracket and has most dkp (within 5% or they /roll). We sometimes ask people to pass on an item, but it is not required. The tanks typically just use good judgement before passing an item, but occasionally there is questions of "hey will you pass that to me?" without what I'd call necessity.
    I'm from Onyxia, where trade chat makes you wish you were in the barrens.

I believe in MT priority to a certain extent. And even when I was not an MT I still thought the same. My OT is a prot warrior who I've played with over a year and don't mind passing things to him. He's also an excellent player. In fact, I think he's better geared then I am atm, but to me it's not a big deal. All LK content so far is way easy, that having an extra 6 stam, 4 parry and 4 dodge from an upgrade isn't going to make or break anything. Also, bosses drop 4 instead of 2 items now compared to BC so loot comes alot quicker regardless on who gets what first.

The guild im in uses a DKP/Attendance/Wishlist system that works out well. Order goes by Wishlisted, Full Value DKP, and 1/5 Value.
    DKP is awarded by attendance, if your there and availible, regardless if your actually in the raid, you will earn your DKP, so if you get benched for fights your still getting the same value as someone thats actually fighting.
    The wishlist system works very well also, you make a composit list of items youd like to have that fit your spec, but...you can only WL 1 item for any given slot, after you recive that item you can not WL another for the same slot. This gives even spread of items given different builds, and with currently low ammounts of DKP people are only looking for items for their main spec. And for your list your class officer makes sure your not wasting your item with certian items.

We also go by a pass system that means if you have the DKP to win an item, but see another rolling for it, you can pass to them, you do not spend dkp but your not getting the item either. This is what many of the full time members do for trials to keep them comming back, that and we usually get items from prior raids that the current item isnt that big of an upgrade. As for off specs, wait for 1/5 roll and see if you win, if you do good, if not o well.

"It has nothing to do with tank ego" Haha you may say that... but if you priviledge certain players with special loot rules, for many people it will feed their ego, even if that was not the intent of the RL or GM. Most people cant resist the temptation to act like a precious snowflake if other people treat them like a precious snowflake.

That's why you sometimes meet tanks from the old days who have really inflated egos. You cant understand why they think so highly of themselves - they just play video games a lot, after all. Then you find out they had all these special privileges. Its kinda sad and funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Stearns View Post
    "It has nothing to do with tank ego" Haha you may say that... but if you priviledge certain players with special loot rules, for many people it will feed their ego, even if that was not the intent of the RL or GM. Most people cant resist the temptation to act like a precious snowflake if other people treat them like a precious snowflake.

That's why you sometimes meet tanks from the old days who have really inflated egos. You cant understand why they think so highly of themselves - they just play video games a lot, after all. Then you find out they had all these special privileges. Its kinda sad and funny.
    Those are not proper tanks.
    I'm pretty sure that most other tanks with loot priority behave exactly like me, as in, thinking 5 or 6 times before saying "need" on a item. Lootwhoring doesn't help progression.
    Worlde - Prot Paladin
    Darkworldie - Tank DW Frost DK
    Uord - Prot Warrior
    Huordie - Feral / Resto Druid

We use MT prio, I'm the MT and the GM of the guild. I did not come up with the idea to implement it, one of my officers did who used to be in eventide with cider. That being said once I got comfortable with my gear level I started passing gear to the OT's using our loot system, EPGP. Their are 15 bosses in Naxx and tank gear seems to drop off of all of them. Everyone will get their gear, their should be a priority to gear out your MT. After all he is taking the majority of the hits. Even with bosses like patchwerk most bosses are a one tank affair, not having your tank geared just doesn't make sense. We full cleared all content within 3 weeks of launch, I would like to think that our MT prio had a bit to do with that.

We push progression so we have this mindset, even though we have months before the next content patch I wanted to kill everything fast. We did and now it's farm time, I don't take anything from 25's or 10's unless it's offset dps stuff that our dps does not need. Now I just show up to tank so that everyone else can get their gear/badges. Being MT is a responsibility, you have to be their and tank, even when you would rather play an alt. This is the cost of the privilege of being MT and having MT prio.
    Last edited by Taninor; 12-30-2008 at 12:01 PM.

Hi Taninor!

We do not use any sort of MT priority.

The only specially distrubted item was the very first malygos key for 10 man and 25 man went to myself (guild leader + MT).

I don't think I'd be comfortable with a loot system that gives loot priority to the GM of the guild. That sounds like it's just asking for trouble.

I've passed on upgrades that were minor for me in favor of letting other tanks get a bigger upgrade. I've also had other tanks refuse to take gear that was a big upgrade for them because they felt I "deserved it more" (in last night's case, from a fellow warrior who doesn't play much, refusing T7 chest to replace his Chestplate of Stoicism!)

It helps that practically all of our tanks are mature players with a long view (or maybe there's something in the mentality of getting up there and taking the punishment?) Also, there aren't many encounters these days where one tank carries the raid, so from a gearing-up perspective, it's pretty important for the raid to have decent off-tanks too. If you lose your add tank in a 10-man, you wipe just as hard as if the MT goes down.

Even with the MT rule our OT's got geared up very very quickly. i passed on many items, especially if it was a huge upgrade for one of my OT's. Any loot system needs to be applied with common sense. If I abuse my MT prio then i cripple my raid. Since I'm the GM of the guild I try to do what's best for the guild first.

As far as being comfortable with loot priority being given to the GM I just don't understand where you're coming from. I'm the GM, what are the chances of me emo gquitting or leaving to go to a better guild?

IMO MT prio is the way to go as long as your MT does not abuse it. As I said earlier, any loot system has to be applied with common sense.

Coming from a fairly casual guild, we don't use MT Prio. When something drops, we all pass on it, so we have time to decide as a group whats going to be done with it. Generally we look at who in the raid is it going to benefit (sometimes 1 person, sometimes more) and they indicate if they need it or not, and if there is more than 2, they roll for it. If none of them want it, then we start looking at offspec needs, and if no one wants it still, we roll for sale or results of a disenchant if we have an enchanter with.

Couple days ago, rolled against a warrior that pug'ed into our group, and lost out on a nice tanking weapon upgrade, Oh well, if I want it bad enough, I'll put together another group, and run it again till it drops, and if I am lucky, I will get it, if not, something better will eventualy come my way.

Also, we dont have designated MT/OT, that kinda works on the fly, whichever tank is best suited (talent/gear/exp) will MT, and others will OT, just because I Maintank a run today, doesnt meen I'll main tank it tomorrow, though this may also come from the fact that most of the guild is made up of parents/adults who frequently have RL things they need/have to do, and cant allways be there.

Anyways, thats how the little guild I am in does it, and for the most part it seems to work out just fine.

-Sintrie

Quote Originally Posted by Sintrie View Post
    Coming from a fairly casual guild, we don't use MT Prio. When something drops, we all pass on it, so we have time to decide as a group whats going to be done with it. Generally we look at who in the raid is it going to benefit (sometimes 1 person, sometimes more) and they indicate if they need it or not, and if there is more than 2, they roll for it. If none of them want it, then we start looking at offspec needs, and if no one wants it still, we roll for sale or results of a disenchant if we have an enchanter with.

Couple days ago, rolled against a warrior that pug'ed into our group, and lost out on a nice tanking weapon upgrade, Oh well, if I want it bad enough, I'll put together another group, and run it again till it drops, and if I am lucky, I will get it, if not, something better will eventualy come my way.

Also, we dont have designated MT/OT, that kinda works on the fly, whichever tank is best suited (talent/gear/exp) will MT, and others will OT, just because I Maintank a run today, doesnt meen I'll main tank it tomorrow, though this may also come from the fact that most of the guild is made up of parents/adults who frequently have RL things they need/have to do, and cant allways be there.

Anyways, thats how the little guild I am in does it, and for the most part it seems to work out just fine.

-Sintrie
    Each guilds policy should be based on what works best for their guild. Their is no cookie cutter policy for every guild out there, they are all unique. MT Prio works for us, for other guilds it is not the answer. It's up to the GM/officers to come up with the plan that works best for your guild and up to you to buy into the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Taninor View Post
    Each guilds policy should be based on what works best for their guild. Their is no cookie cutter policy for every guild out there, they are all unique. MT Prio works for us, for other guilds it is not the answer. It's up to the GM/officers to come up with the plan that works best for your guild and up to you to buy into the system.
    Probably should have said it in my post, but I totally Agree, it should be something based on what works best for the guild.

Maybe I go a bit against the stream even,
    But with the current content, tanks will be geared up enough to tank everything in game very fast. You can tank even Malygos without too much trouble in a mix of Epics and Blues.

What would make progresss faster imo, if the tank is staying alive, would be better dps.

If you're going with priority rules, common sense would dictate: "DPS priority on items" because in my experience it's superior dps that makes things easier at the moment rather then a way overgeared tank.

I do so much enjoy not having MT prio. Makes the game interesting. Since if we had MT prio, i wouldnt have nearly the quality of gear that i do. I got my gear by doing what all tanks should do if they want top end gear, show up. Simply put, showing up will get you the gear regardless of what kind of loot system you use.

Our TBC MT is now working on a few of our raid days, if we used loot prio for him when we started doing 25 mans, he would have crippled us in the long run, since now i currently MT everything but sarth, use a druid for it. This also allows our guild to have an even distrabution of loot. Earn dkp, spend it on 1 item, wait a few bosses hopefully your compotition gets something, then you get your next upgrade. Thats about how it goes, and it works out great.

Well, to be honest, there aren't all that many cases where "MT priority" means that they're competing with gear from DPS. T7 tokens are about it, right? It's more of a question of whether you try to stack all your best gear on one tank or spread it out over multiple tanks.

The logic of putting it on one tank is simple - that tank is taking a significant amount of damage and reducing it even by a little bit is a good thing.

The logic against is somewhat more meta. Putting all your gear in one tank is, in some ways, like putting all your eggs in one basket. It becomes very important that the MT so gifted shows up for the raids every night, because you've intentionally gimped your other tanks by comparison. From a progression perspective, as well, there's been more than one tank who's benefited from MT-favoring loot rules, geared up in the content that his guild has been clearing, and used that to "trade up" to a guild further along in content. If you lose that MT (even if something happens like a work schedule change, or he has a kid, or whatever), it'll set back your entire raid's progression by a good bit.

It's also kind of hard on the other tanks. Who wants to play second fiddle? Especially if you're in a situation where you know you're not getting any gear unless the MT can't use it? You can have problems with your other tanks jumping ship to see if they can't get some time in the limelight with another guild, or just not bothering to be reliably there for the raid, because after all, they aren't the ones with the special MT hat. Your guild is explicitly telling them that their participation isn't as important, so some of them are going to take that to heart.

If you are going to do MT priority, you need to make sure that your other tanks don't feel like they're just replaceable pick-up members. Everyone should help pitch in to make sure that they've at least got good crafted gear, gems, enchants, all the things which help tanks tank. Even if it's stupid stuff like helping them out on quests or with an extra heroic run to try to get them another piece of gear, if they feel like they're not left out in the cold, it'll help. And, incidentally, they'll perform better with the better gear too!

Finally, if your MT is the GM, just don't do it. MT priority is all too easily shifted to "ME" priority, and nothing hurts a raid as much as feeling that the loot rules have been written so that the guy writing the rules gets all the loot.

+ Reply to Thread