+ Reply to Thread

Thread: From what I have read and understand, recap.

From what I have read and understand, recap.

Ok, please correct me if I am wrong. Trying to regurgitate what I learned about tanking and what to strive for. So here is a quick jab at it.

#1) Defense : 540, to be uncritable. Any more is a waste, and best to get here then re-evaluate gear to round out dodge and expertise.

Question: I remember back when I was briefly 70(week before wotlk), Uncrushable. Is 540 Uncrushable, or is the term "uncrushable" obsolete?

Question: If defense is a crit reduction(5.6% at 80), wouldn't more defense increase the amount of reduction, or is the risk of a crit too small on too little mobs to make it worth chasing more defense?

#2) Shooting for a ration of Defense / Dodge. Between 3:2 and 2:1. And to avoid parry as it will hurt down the road, aka loss of rage, etc.

Question: Better explanation to why not to have parry, other than its bad. All I see is people saying its bad, but not a thorough explanation.

#3) Soft Cap and Hard Cap.
    Soft Cap is 6.5% Dodge or 26 expertise(214 Rating).

Hard Cap is 14.25% parry or 57 expertise(413 Rating).

Question: What the heck do they mean by soft and hard cap.

#4) Boss hits, what to have to make sure they dont miss/dodge your hits.

Dodge: 26 expertise

Parry: 57 expertise

Question: This the same as #3?

#5) Formulas

82 Resilence = 123 Defense Rating = 25 Defense Skill

aka 460 Resilience = 689 Defense Rating = 140 Defense Skill
    at 80 you get 400 Defense skill + 140 Defense Skill with said above.

2 attack power = 1 Strength
    2 Strength = 1 Shield Block

Question: does the 2 attack power , strength and shield block work in unison. I.e. 2 AP = 1 Strength = 0.5 Shieldblock? So 4 AP = 1 Shieldblock? Or does it not carry over.

Ok, those are my basic questions. And I thank you ahead of time for the help. Gonna help me and my fellow guild tanks out alot.

Coh
    Garona

Quote Originally Posted by Coh View Post
    Ok, please correct me if I am wrong. Trying to regurgitate what I learned about tanking and what to strive for. So here is a quick jab at it.

#1) Defense : 540, to be uncritable. Any more is a waste, and best to get here then re-evaluate gear to round out dodge and expertise.
    Correct, except that defense after 540 is not wasted. It does still increase your avoidance.

Question: I remember back when I was briefly 70(week before wotlk), Uncrushable. Is 540 Uncrushable, or is the term "uncrushable" obsolete?
    Yes, the term "uncrushable" is largely obsolete because anything you'd be tanking will not be able to crush you any more unless you're low level for what you're tanking (happened to me in HoL at 77, wasn't fun). You can only receive a crushing blow from a target 4+ levels above you.

Question: If defense is a crit reduction(5.6% at 80), wouldn't more defense increase the amount of reduction, or is the risk of a crit too small on too little mobs to make it worth chasing more defense?
    Once you reach 5.6% crit reduction the large majority of mobs will not be able to crit you at all. Only mobs that can somehow reduce your defense, increase their crit chance or have a naturally higher crit chance will be able to crit you (there were only a few mobs in BC that this was the case for, I don't think there are any in Wrath so far).

#2) Shooting for a ration of Defense / Dodge. Between 3:2 and 2:1. And to avoid parry as it will hurt down the road, aka loss of rage, etc.

Question: Better explanation to why not to have parry, other than its bad. All I see is people saying its bad, but not a thorough explanation.
    Both dodge and parry will hurt your rage generation as your avoidance increases. People say that dodge is better than parry because dodge rating gives a greater effect per point than parry rating, although diminishing returns on dodge may see it break even with parry rating at some point (I don't know what it is if it does exist, there are a lot of variables to consider).

#3) Soft Cap and Hard Cap.
    Soft Cap is 6.5% Dodge or 26 expertise(214 Rating).

Hard Cap is 14.25% parry or 57 expertise(413 Rating).

Question: What the heck do they mean by soft and hard cap?
    Soft cap means that your attacks can no longer be dodged by the target. This is the easiest expertise cap to reach and the only one that DPS have to worry about because they should be behind the boss. Hard cap means that your attacks can no longer be parried by the boss and any more expertise after that will not provide any more benefit.

#4) Boss hits, what to have to make sure they dont miss/dodge your hits.

Dodge: 26 expertise

Parry: 57 expertise

Question: This the same as #3?
    Yes.

#5) Formulas

82 Resilence = 123 Defense Rating = 25 Defense Skill

aka 460 Resilience = 689 Defense Rating = 140 Defense Skill
    at 80 you get 400 Defense skill + 140 Defense Skill with said above.

2 attack power = 1 Strength
    2 Strength = 1 Shield Block

Question: does the 2 attack power , strength and shield block work in unison. I.e. 2 AP = 1 Strength = 0.5 Shieldblock? So 4 AP = 1 Shieldblock? Or does it not carry over.
    Strength gives attack power and shield block value in the ratio 1 str = 2 AP = 0.5 SBV but it does not work in reverse. Attack power does not give shield block value.

Ok, those are my basic questions. And I thank you ahead of time for the help. Gonna help me and my fellow guild tanks out alot.

Coh
    Garona
    Why use big words when a diminutive alternative will suffice?
    http://www.tankspot.com/photoplog/im...nnaxxramas.jpg

+ Reply to Thread