Closed Thread
Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Knight Raid DPS Compendium (FR/BL/UH)

True, though I have to admit, I haven't been playing around with unholy presence much, but now that I'm seeing more about it, I might give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by robowarriorx View Post
    Hmm, but more RP means more DC spam on your dump phase.
    The question is though, do you really need a dump phase?

From my own personal experience, if I don't do a dump phase in my rotation, I actually lose quite a bit of dps, but that's the thing about the class, there seems to be so many different ways to play it, and that's something I love about it.

You can weave or dump, both are accepted forms honestly. I dump instead of weave because I prefer fluidity in that fashion and like to systematically do things.

Do this, then this, then this, then this, then this.

Repeat.

Puts your mind in a groove. Same goes for weaving but you pretty much have to just use one attack after doing your stuff.

Something like

do this, then this, dump. do this, then this, dump.

Both are really fine either way you do it.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Good guide, I am finding it very helpful.

I have gotten my DK into a few runs lately and have been gathering quite a bit of new, shiny gear but either dumb luck or itemization quirks see me unintentionally stacking haste out the wazoo. Meh, its not awful but its not as valuable as other stats.

Oh, and I am frost simply because I enjoy it. The DKs in my guild seem to follow the leader and copy cat specs of top performers and I like to be different. And it pays off on trash big time as HB is retardedly OP on multiple mobs. I'm not looking to be king of the meters on bosses, just deliver solid, consistant damage and make the raid go by faster by carpet bombing trash packs with sick HBs.

I'm going to plug the stat priorities into a loot list type site and see what I can come up with but I think I've got a pretty good handle on things. Holy smokes, I need some new pants. And I looted Demise last night for kicks and grins but my obligatory TSD pwns it pretty hard. /shrug.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Heh, glad you're enjoying it. gonna have to hack at this come 3.1 though. /sigh. Good thing classes are ending, exams are starting and I'll have some time on my hands. Summer sounds like it's going to be a writing one.

Tankspot Moderator

Tony I could use your help here. I have been using your Tri-Spec build since I started raiding at 80 and it has been unbelievable. I am consistently number 1 in damage/dps in raids both 10 and 25, once in a while a damn good ret Pally or good Mage will beat me up. But I am now in 4/5 7.5 gear and wanted to try the GoG build. What a horrible mistake this has been. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or what but my dps on the test dummies is at least 1000 off of my old Tri-spec. Given my gear this just doesn't make since. I am using the same rotation given by you in the guide. I average on dummies 2890 dps with GoG. With my Tri-spec on the same dummies no buffs I am at 3925 average. I hardly ever see Frost Strike do over 4K. In my Tri-spec build I average a 6-8k hit with Howling Blasts, I don't even get close to that with GoG. I will link my armory as my current spec is GoG...but I will be changing back ASAP before raid night. If you can tell me what I am doing wrong it would be of great assistance. I have very solid gear and believe I should be doing well over 4k sustained dps in Naxx and I am not. Awesome guide and thanks in advance.

Kilrok
    The World of Warcraft Armory

Kilrok, I'll give you some advice but be forewarned: Don't waste your time too much on a dual wield build come 3.1. In fact, you may wanna invest in a two hander while you're doing your raid on the sole purpose that on a DPS standpoint, there is little to no viable dual wielding specs due to the changes done in Frost and Unholy.

Some builds just work better for individuals than other do. I always found the GoG build a bit odd and always lower DPS than 32/39 or a Tri-spec so I'm in the same boat as you are. Some people reported higher dps and some people had lower. If it's just not working, I would suggest sticking with your tri-spec or to transfer to a 32/39 build that i have listed.

But to be honest, start looking for that two hander. YOu will see your damage suffer and lag behind the two handed builds if you continue that way.

Furthermore, to this extent: I will probably make a very VERY short comment about dual wielding in my guide. I will leave the 3.0.8 info up there but I will state that come 3.1, the focus of two handers will be the primary focus as Dual Wielding is pretty much Neutered.
    Last edited by Krenian; 04-09-2009 at 11:14 PM.

Tankspot Moderator

Updated with 3.1 info about the guide, look at the guide on the first page to know what's going to happen. Thank you.

Tankspot Moderator

HELP!

I cant figure this out... I follow the spec's, i follow the rotations... I cant pull out more than 2300dps on a boss practice dummy.

In 10man raids, single target boss damage, around 2.8k dps, and in 25mans, abt 3.2-3.5k dps.

Considering my gear..... I need to figure this out ASAP.

My blood DPS is always lower than my Unholy. But neither are good, in my opinion. I have equally geared DK's destroying me on the damage meters.

I just respecc'd to blood again, in anticipation of 3.1 dropping on tuesday.

I would like to try and figure this out before we hit ulduar.

Here is a link to my armory.

The World of Warcraft Armory

It currently shows me as unholy, but i literally respec'd blood tonight. I followed the OP's blood dps spec. Right now, totally unbuffed, i am sitting at 3777 AP, and with just horn of winter I am at 4090.

With over 4k AP self buffed, I feel like I should be doing WAY more dps. this 4090, does not include the 320 i get from my Fury of The Five Flights, putting me at 4410 AP self buffed on a single target boss.

What am I doing wrong?

I need to figure this out FAST! HELP!
    Last edited by Grayc; 04-10-2009 at 10:39 PM.

Blood as it stands right now doesn't stand a chance versus Unholy and Frost if you start getting the tier pieces + the sigil. Your main attack is not empowered the way that the main attacks of both Frost and Unholy are which will make the Blood spec lag behind.

If you're deadset playing Blood, you could attempt a 51/0/20 build until 3.1 comes out. Once 3.1 comes out, you'll see your DPS probably increase slightly.

Now if you wanna do it now, just do the simple 51/0/20 build, grabbing the essential talents in the tree, and the rotation's pretty simple. If you look through the posts, I think I noted on how Diseaseless Blood works. Take a look.

If you're somewhat like most people and don't wanna go through it and say TL;DR:

Diseaseless blood requires a good amount of gear to pull off. Also requires a level 200+ weapon to really pull off decent numbers. Rotation's OB/OB/HS/HS/DC dump, rince and repeat. OB/BS/whatever else you fancy are good glyphs to play with. BS works with HS so use it to your advantage as this is going to change 3.1

Furthermore, let me check your current stuff and let you know what's up:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Go with this spec. I'm not sure why you don't have Desecrate but it's a good skill to have to pump out more damage. Yes, on moving fights it's pretty annoying however you'll get more damage out of this. You can replace the two points in Dirge into Unholy Aura if you wanna move faster, both are decent DPS upgrades due to the fact the faster you can move to your mobs, the more you can unload immediately.

Next: Horrible meta gem. And I mean horrible. Get rid of it. Put in the 21 Crit chance and 3% crit damage. You're going to see at least a 200+ dps boost with just that.

Third: WAY too much Hit rating. You only need at MOST 263 so get rid of some of the hit pieces and start building on Crit/AP.

Fourth: I don't know what your glyphs are but Ghoul, Scourge Strike and Bone Armor are good choices. Scourge Strike is rather pivotal to the build due to the fact you're playing off of it's proc to do more damage. It also takes repetition to get used to it.

Get these changes done asap.

After that, work on your rotation:

IT > PS > BS > BS > ScS > UB
    ScS > ScS > ScS > DC dump

The second part of the rotation is where you have to look at your diseases and watch. There reason is this: if the ScS procs your glyph, it'll refresh your diseases. Your first rotation drops the IT/PS in that case and goes with two ScS in front of the BS.

i.e.: ScS > ScS > BS > BS > UB

If it doesn't refresh, you go back and apply IT/PS. That's about the trickiest part of the DPS standpoint of Unholy and requires you to watch your dots. I would recommend a dot timer of sorts.
    Last edited by Krenian; 04-10-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Tankspot Moderator

I may go back and try unholy one more time...

The hit came by accident. The gear that has all the hit happens to have been great upgrades.

Some of the hit will get filtered out, I am soon in line for a betrayer of humanity, etc etc. The hit will taper off.

Im still sitting just short of 30% crit self buffed. I thought I read on the EJ forums, that the crit+crit meta was actually time tested less dps than the +42AP...... ill have to go reread.

That IS the rotation I was using. I suppose I may not have been managing it well enough with my ScS refreshing my dots. i will get a good dot timer.

I am waiting for my Val Shoulders, and I also have my Val chest, but the one I am currently wearing from my understanding is BiS currently.

I dont know if it remains BiS with the 4 piece bonus, but I am also next in line to get Valorous helm..... or Obsidian greathelm.

I will respec again to unholy in the morning, following the spec u posted, and i will try the other meta.

I will post results tmrw.

Thank you for the fast reply.

Edit : I remembered backwards on the meta from the EJ forums. I will swap it out in the morning.

I really couldn't see the meta gem being any good to be honest. I'm not sure what EJ's testing out but really, 42 ap and a minor speed increase compared to 21 crit rating a 3% crit damage increase. (That's ALL crits here.) Just made no sense whatsoever to be honest.

The thing about BiS is this: Yes, there are certain items that are BiS sometimes, but it really has got to do with the fact that you have to look at stats versus utility. If you look at your stats and see you're too high in one stat, such as right now, your hit, sometimes the BiS doesn't become BiS. Honestly, I wouldn't rely on BiS too often. Instead, look at your stats and weight those before choosing one item because some place tells you.

BiS is ONLY useful if you are locked with the key stats that you have to have. (I really can't think of another way of saying that phrase, and yes, two haves in that phrase just looks really weird. I had to backspace and rewrite until I gave up.)

1) 8% hit rating, or 263 for Yellow Melee never to miss.
    2) This goes up a little bit if you don't get Virulence. Being Unholy right now, Virulence should be something to look at if you can afford the points elsewhere. If not, you will have to make the extra 3% extra magic. Which means probably around 300 hit rating. Look at the guide, I think I made the calculations.

As soon as that is met, your primary concerns will be Strenght, Critical Strike and Attack Power. Expertise is also a very good stat to look at and should be considered until you get to the cap for dodge. However, most spells cannot be dodged or parried (Which means about half of your attacks if not more) therefore Expertise doesn't take as much of an importance as one may think.

Also, one thing you have to realize about dummies: They won't give you an accurate count. Blood, out of all the specs, is very buff reliant honestly. Same with Frost. You will see a HUGE upgrade with raid buffs than you would on a dummy. DPSing on dummies is to give you a raw number but in no means will it dictate what you will be doing. Keep that in mind when you test things

Tankspot Moderator

OK... so I respecc'd as you suggested, got rid of that meta, and swapped in the new one...

Much better display of DPS. I was pulling 8-9k dps on aoe pulls, and I was averaging 4kdps, and a steady 5k on single target bosses, without flasks or food buffs, and without a full 25man raid buff assortment.

But will any of this spec be changing in a few hours with 3.1?

Right now there's a few changes to the Unholy tree that nearly make people take 60 points in it. I haven't explored the tree as of yet but it will change, yes.

EDIT: Actually, 61:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...0&version=9767

This focuses more on your DoTs and your Frost/Shadow damage. Seeing how er, Scourge Strike is a Shadow attack, this is directly helped with Black Ice's damage increase. Furthermore, You'll get more RP storage through RPM which means more Death Coils.

To be honest, most of the rotations stay the same too. You'll still do the same rotation as IT adds a disease up there. There might be some ideas out there to add Rune Tap somewhere to get rid of a disease and just get more Scourge Strike action going on. I'm almost sure you could pull it off with the new Diseases Glyph. That glyph is going to make things a little interesting as it can change the motion of how DoTs will be applied.
    Last edited by Krenian; 04-14-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Tankspot Moderator

hmmmm, so no more bladed armor, and 2handed weap specialization... interesting.... that could be a solid loss of damage though...

Thats like 80AP, and 4% weapon damage.... I hate number crunching =/ It still sounds like the points in frost might be better spent.

What is the new blood spec? and will it finally hold pace with unholy dps?

80ap lost would not be a huge issue considering you'll be gaining 10% more shadow damage overall. There is still a 12/0/59 build that is also floating around on the EJ forums, which supposedly is comparable to the 0/10/61 build.

One of my guildies was trying to convince me that disease-less blood is still going to be viable, while others are trying to tell me DW builds are still going to compete. Personally, I like the looks of this 10/61 build, I'm thinking, for my playstyle, it should be the best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by robowarriorx View Post
    One of my guildies was trying to convince me that disease-less blood is still going to be viable, while others are trying to tell me DW builds are still going to compete. Personally, I like the looks of this 10/61 build, I'm thinking, for my playstyle, it should be the best for me.
    Offing your diseases in Blood is retarded, furthermore on the fact that Death Strike is now the FU of choice and it requires Diseases anyway. Tell him to give it up and to go back to a proper DPS spec. Sorry, it's annoying to see people holding onto broken mechanics of a class and hope that it'll surive.

Tankspot Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Grayc View Post
    hmmmm, so no more bladed armor, and 2handed weap specialization... interesting.... that could be a solid loss of damage though...

Thats like 80AP, and 4% weapon damage.... I hate number crunching =/ It still sounds like the points in frost might be better spent.

What is the new blood spec? and will it finally hold pace with unholy dps?
    51/2/18 seems to be the choice that most Blood users will be taking although I'm unsure of the point of getting Rune Power Master with a Blood Spec. I don't think it honestly gives enough RP in my view and with that in mind, I really don't think that the two points is needed. I'd rather put two points in Unholy probably and finish it off as a 51/0/20 build instead. I could be wrong honestly, as I haven't put in the two and four piece set bonus that will change with 3.1 to include Death Strike. We'll have to see.

Tankspot Moderator

Closed Thread