Closed Thread
Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Knight Raid DPS Compendium (FR/BL/UH)

Er...read the sticky from the first page and play what you're used to?

Honestly, just grab a spec and go. if you have 4 piece T7 + Sigil of Awareness, just go Frost or Unholy. >.>

I'm not being crass or anything but really just follow what it says at the front. The information's still good for 3.0.9 so you're fine till 3.1 and where I have to gut the guide and redo it.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

well i LOVE frost but you have 2 different specs what spec will kill the competition? and is it the same rotation for both?

I'll bite this time because I'm bored.

I'm a fan of 21/50 because of Tundra Stalker. It's just something I like. Going 27 points is if you're nowhere near expertise capped to be honest. And that's going to change come 3.1

If you like frost, go 21/50. I do well with it. It's my raiding spec of choice anyway.

For this spec, due to the nature, there are two schools of thought.

one's to add PS for more OB damage and do a full rotation in Unholy. >.> Yeah you heard me, Unholy. Reason is you get so much RP because of it.

Rotation would look like this:

PS > IT > OB > BS > BS > FS Dump
    PS > IT > OB > OB > FS dump.

You can stay in Unholy presence to dump your RP and it'll be getting some used to. This was tried and tested by myself and works well. What happens if you stay in blood is you get too much RP to dump because of how RP is used with the Glyph of Frost Strike, and by the time you finish your FS, you were ready to restart your rotation.

The second school of thought is that PS isn't worth the damage to use a rotation in it. Like Gorgrim was speaking above, they sacrafice the PS disease and simply focus on a simple, blood presence rotation:

Start off with Rune Tap:

IT > OB > OB > BS > FS dump.

Bout it. That's all you gotta do honestly and from there you just keep the rotation. It works well and both rotations work fine.

There. Rotation's under the frost spec tree btw, to the exception of the second one.

Tankspot Moderator

a little help pls

Hello, i have this DK and i think that the Blood spec is for single target dps so i made this spec after my own logic. What i ask you fellows is to take a loot at it and pls tell me if you find it good and if not pls tell me what i should change.

My current spec is THIS and ill try to discuss a little why i done it like this.

1) As you can see from Blood tree i picked up all talents that in one way or another deal dmg like: Bladed Armor; Two-Handed Weapon Specialization; Abomination's Might etc.

2) From the Frost tree again i chose dmg dealing abilities like Necrosis and talents that increase my strength so i benefit from my weapon rune in a larger amount

3) Also i tried to grab some AOE dmg but this was because i couldn't find a way to get to Necrosis and Shadow of Death without placing points in Epidemic which is almost useless because i use Obliterate to generate Death Runes and ofc for the dps that Obliterate has.

If my post, build or anything i wrote here is idiotic please tell me because the reason for this post is to get smarter.

Thank you for your time and patience!
    Last edited by Busse; 03-28-2009 at 07:31 AM.

I'm not sure exactly what is different my spec and yours, potentially a couple of points moved here and there but that's pretty much a 51/0/20 build that has been widely accepted all over the place. With that in mind, however, you're sacrificing your disease upkeep not going down 13 points into Frost and getting Annihilation. This doesn't mean much as you will just have to use your Obliterate at the end of your rotation.

I've been leveling a Blood DK and My rotation is this:

IT > PS > HS > HS > OB > DC dump.

I'm starting to get more used to hitting my DC when Sudden Doom procs so it's getting more into my rotation and something i'll advise. I can now actually see that Blood has a lot of potential to build a lot of RP therefore I would suggest you dump when you can with Sudden Doom proc'ing.

However with that in mind, I believe your following rotation will have to be this:

IT > PS > HSx4 > DC dump.

You have to reapply your diseases. It isn't as useful to have the diseases up as you look like you're heading towards a Diseaseless Blood spec, however come 3.1 you may as well get used to putting your diseases up with the buff to Plague Strike. Thus why I offer you the above rotation.

Tankspot Moderator

About Sudden Doom, from the next patch which is one step away from us, this will be an auto cast as well. What do toy suggest in that case since you will not need to look for the SD buff?

as for my rotation i seen something... i use the following rotation:

IT>PS>HS>HS>OB which is quite logical but^^... second one works like this and here is where i want advice.. the second will be like

IT>PS>HS>HS>HS>HS>OB>DC dump after the DC dump in this rotation you have like 1 sec of wait time for your first frost and unholy rune to activate. This way after the first rotation you can go with the second rotation for ever what do you have to say about this rotations? i probably slaking because after 4xHS i have ready my first used unholy and frost runes?

I'm not sure you should add the last OB in there. If you look at your second rotation, you use six runes at the end of the fourth HS. Using OB is making it use your first two FUs of your rotation.

The change to Sudden Doom just means you don't have to babysit it and it'll just go off and not have to worry. It's a good thing to be honest. Gives you an extra GCD to dump the already excessive amount of RP you get with the build.

Tankspot Moderator

i am thinking that the last OB is a result of me slaking... i was thinking about the runes cool downs and giving that we have 6 runes with a cd or 10 sec and our global cd without unholy aura is 1.5 secs, if i multiply 1.5 with 6 the result ill be 9 which means that normally no rune should be up at the end of the rotation without OB... ill try to go at the IF dummies and smack the hell outta them and see if i can improve my key pressin skills

You won't be able to shove that last OB no matter what you do unless you plan on destroying your rotation.

Let's just go down the process without even needing to go into the game here:

First rotation:

IT > PS > BS > BS > OB (Six runes used, Obliterate changes an FU to Death Runes)

Second Rotation:

IT (F) > PS (U) > HSx4 (B, B, D, D).

At this point you're out of runes and can only Dump. When your runes come back up, which will be a frost, then an Unholy, it should be used to restablish your diseases on your mob and not with an OB otherwise you'll be left with with either no runes to OB on your first rotation or a diseaseless rotation.

Tankspot Moderator

Indeed you are right^^... i went to the puppets and tried all rotations that came to my mind and none worked^^... i did the 2nd rotation with OB at the end, and this was possible only because at some point i was scoring a miss on one of the 4 HS's and that gave me time, but this is not the way to do dps... missing blows. capped hit now and without a miss somewhere on the rotation, last OB on the 2nd rotation is not possible. i did all this post because i was having trouble understanding why i had runes ready at the end of the second rotation for that OB but i guess i got it figured. so for who ever reads this post be aware that you can start to try out rotations combos and such ONLY after you capped hit and expertise and dont be a noob like me to start askin questions and waste folks time :P
    This been said i wanna thank you for your time and if i have been a pain i apologize.

I'm here to inform and help out. That's the point of this thread, the guide and Tankspot. To help and learn. Glad i was able to enlighten you.

Tankspot Moderator

I just recently went from 2h unholy to 2h blood. i tried the 51/0/20 spec and it was ok but after playin with it and I ended up with 53/18/0.
    The World of Warcraft Armory. Was wonderin if anyones done something like this and how it worked.
    Basically I use the same rotation ... IT>PS>HS>HS>OB>RP Dump then IT>PS>HSx4>DC dump. Also, I stay in unholy presence so the only time i ever use DC is at the end of my rotation for 3. I havent had a chance to test it in a raid yet but was just wonderin what everyony thought.

Both Blood Aura and Bloodworms are pretty useless to be honest on a DPS standpoint. You're not getting enough damage to spend the points there. As a DPS, it isn't your job to keep your health up. Yes, you're giving your raid one person less to heal but if as a DPS you're any person above average, your damage input will be minimal thus the blood worms being little to no use as well as Blood Aura being average at best. That's why there's no point of going more than 51 points; you get all the DPS talents in the tree without going more than that.

Haste also isn't the greatest of stats for us, therefore going down the tree just to get the 25% extra haste isn't as grand as you think. The only thing that it affects are your white attacks and that only turns out to be around 25-maybe 30% of your damage as Blood. Both Heart Strike and potentially Obliterate further on will surpass that.

To be honest, the only reason you go down that part of the tree is to get IIT for the raid as it benefits the whole raid and removes the need of the Windfury totem that Shamans can drop. If you don't go down to get IIT, it's actually not that big of a dps upgrade.

On the other hand, going down Unholy, you're getting things that boost attacks in your Blood rotation.

- Death Coil gets increased damage from Morbidity (15%)

- You either would not need to reapply diseases as often, get more spell hit, or get a strenght increase. (Also helps with your quasi ghoul for more damage). This allows for you to use your FU runes for bigger hits (Obliterate or HS). Your second rotation could look like this: OB, HSx4. Or you get 3% spell hit to reduce those miss chances with your spells (Death Coil being one of them) or 3% extra strength and 60% more str/stam for the ghoul.

- Necrosis, which is by far, point per point, more of a DPS increase than IIT is for any of the specs.

- Blood Caked Blade, again, a skill which point per point probably beats IIT, the extra strength and stam (2%) out of Shadow of Death

All of that just for a bit of extra self healing/group healing + haste...not worth the trade off.

Tankspot Moderator

Alright, I see your point here. My next question is how will the deep blood spec look after 3.1? I know alot of things are changing. Will it still be 51/0/20 or does DRW just suck total crap after the nerf so that you put the 1 in UB? I apologize, I havent had very much time to play recently and none of it has been on the PTR yet.

Not sure. I haven't tested too much the PTR due to it's ever revolving door changes it has so I tend to wait till the patch goes live and then do my test.

So far, all I've heard with the nerf is that it's not worth it. It's a choice between AoE attack or Single Target attack. I'll test it out at one point and figure it out.

EDIT; Actually now that I think about it, you won't be going 20 points in Unholy. I think you go 51/2/18 for Runic Power Mastery in Frost.

Tankspot Moderator

I wouldn't take RPM at all if I was in blood, it really does nothing to improve your dps. I will try to illustarte but I am not fully aware of DC RP usage etc etc.

I run a frost build 21/50 I take the talent that increases armor so I gain a few more AP over DRM. In a frost build you do not let your RP cap you weave your FS's in to keep from reaching 100 rp at any point.

Now as a 51/0/20, and forgive me I don't have access to a talent calculator here at work but I am pretty sure those 2 points are probably better spent in Unholy to either increase pet survivability or some dps talent. The blood rotation shouldnt be so tight now that you can weave in DC when ever needed to keep from capping RP.

To be honest Gorgrim, I don't think the two points could go anywhere that would benefit you as much as you think. Observe:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...0&version=9742

This is the standard dps build I'd work with honestly. Give or take a couple points different in blood, but that's the jist of it. So let's see where we could put two points in Unholy.

One point in Ravenous Dead? Ok, I suppose that 1% extra strength would be a bit better depending on the situation.

Two points in Epidemic? I'm not sure it's worth the point allocation anymore. As people have mentioned, they're increasing the diseases up to 15 seconds each. I could see if you wanted to make a smooth rotation and add an extra DS to the mix of things that you could do that and hit an extra shot of DS, and there I could say potentially it could be better.

Two points in Night of the Dead? Seemingly useless to be honest. If your pet's not permaghoul'ed you really don't have much control of what it does. Now on some bosses it works but really, the ghoul when it's not a permapet really doesn't benefit much. Also, the chances of it surviving is still low. I don't think it's personally worth it but some would argue.

It could be the changes that they made to Sudden Doom will make things much smoother for RP generation and allow us to have more control over the rotations. I'm not sure however if the two points in unholy would do any better. I could see an argument for all three work alright. for min/maxing however, I'm not sure. More tests need to be done, it's that simple.

Tankspot Moderator

I would definitely take the 1% extra str, str is a dps increase and you don't need testing to tell you that. The other point is a toss up there are several talents it could go into to increase damage elsewhere to PS or IT, but if it was me I would probably take corpse explosion just to get a little AE power to a spec that has very little or maybe rune tap to increase player survivability after all a dead dk is not dpsing. From what I have been reading the SD change was designed to give Blood DK's more breathing room in their rotations I can't really speculate weather one point in epidemic would be waste or not.

I had forgotten they moved the pet so far down in unholy, but I am glad of it it was looking like I was going to have to pick it up for top frost dps, and I honestly despise having to go into unholy just for a pet.

Hmm, but more RP means more DC spam on your dump phase.

Quote Originally Posted by robowarriorx View Post
    Hmm, but more RP means more DC spam on your dump phase.
    Problem with that could potentially be unless your in unholy presence you may not be able to get through your rp phase quickly enough before your runes come back off CD.

Closed Thread