+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rune Strike become useless?

Rune Strike become useless?

I've been leveling my death knight, and I noticed Rune Strike is useable after one of your attacks is dodged or parried. Ok, great, the less expertise one has, the more threat and damage they get from Rune Strike.

The issue I see, is that Rune Strike appears to be like Revenge is for warriors. Good damage and lots of threat, for a low cost. The difference, is that Revenge procs more often as your avoidance/block go up, while Rune Strike would light up less as the player got more expertise. Now, I may be wrong as I am not 100% sure on what the soft cap means, but I imagine that effectively having, say, 12% reduced chance to be dodged or parried would pretty much eliminate Rune Strike procs. Now, most tanks won't hit this high, early at least, but at one point it will be met, eliminately much of its major use in a tanking rotation.

Any discussion or reasoning why Rune Strike will always be available is appreciated.

Without looking into the mechanics of Rune Strike I would say this sounds very much like an improved version of overpower rather than revenge. It also sounds more like a DPS move rather than a tanking one.

If it is like a warriors overpower, then generally the applications of this ability is going to be pretty limited to pwning rogue's

Now, in the current state of the game, it is used like Overpower to kill Rogues in pvp. But the new patch notes specify that it is meant as a threat gain.

Rune Strike: Damage decreased from 200% to 150% but threat increased to 150% from 100%.

The damage is lowered and threat increased. It is more (in theory) of a threat generating ability.

It's actually vice versa, Rune Strike is available when YOU dodge/parry an attack. So it becomes better as your avoidance increases with the added bonus that it can't be dodged, parried or blocked.

Ok, reread and I see it. Just the way it was written. It isn't a useless ability.

Am I reading wowhead right?

Is there really no CD on this ability?

I think RP starvation is the cool down

No, the cooldown is that it works as an 'on next attack' ability like Heroic Strike. The cooldown is your weapon's speed.

RP isn't really a limiting factor, especially if you can manage to score Blessing of Sanctuary. Rune Strike costs 20 RP, so getting 20 RP for free every time you dodge or parry is awesome.

Even with a 3.4+ speed weapon you can find yourself without the RP for Rune Strike on occasion, depending on the mechanics of the encounter, your spec and your ability usage. This is fine though, as having to make decisions on the fly is part of what makes tanking fun (or any class for that matter). Unfortunately Blessing of Sanctuary takes that decision making process completely out of the equation which makes it rather overpowered, but that's old news.
    Armstrong
    <Elysium>
    Burning Legion US

f

+ Reply to Thread