Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Heroic Halls of Lightning Guide

I got the achievement for Loken using the standard tactic you described on every level 80 char I got before I even read this :P
    Trust me it's very effective, even in pugs. Just make sure you explain it properly and show people where to run.

Heroic HoL is hard amirite?

First boss: Stay out of the f*cking whirlwind or I'm kicking you
    2nd boss: Stay away from the f*cking stone corpses or I'm kicking you
    3rd boss: Run down the f*cking hallway when I do (the guy with the giant star over him) or I kick you.
    4th boss: Stand f*cking on me as I run up and down, or I'm kicking you.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Heroic HoL is hard amirite?

First boss: Stay out of the f*cking whirlwind or I'm kicking you
    2nd boss: Stay away from the f*cking stone corpses or I'm kicking you
    3rd boss: Run down the f*cking hallway when I do (the guy with the giant star over him) or I kick you.
    4th boss: Stand f*cking on me as I run up and down, or I'm kicking you.
    lmfao - that seems to be the most wise and easiest plan of all...why didnt i f*cking think of that! LMAO

On your way to Ionar you will enter a hallway with a lot of statues. As you run through each section a few of the statues will crack and come to life. Tanks need to grab them fast because they spawn and attack whoever is closest to them. This will happen a few times until you reach a new hallway.
    Easiest way to get through this hall is move as a sacked group, that way the tank can pull all aggro from all party members after each awakening. Also to note they will stun and get some range from the tank and they can Fear. Make sure after aggro is gained either back up or make sure to burn them before fear happens. If it does there is a good possibility that while feared you will run into the next section and wake up more mobs.
    Don't Run From Nova

Tank pulls him. Stack just like the strat above. When Loken casts nova, do not run, just eat it and continue to burn him. This is how you get the achievement. Everyone in your group needs to be able to take the damage and still have a decent amount of health left. Have a nature resist aura is very nice because it mitigates some of the nova's damage. Having a group oriented healer helps a lot with this tactic. If you have a death Knight, they can use Anti-Magic Shell to absorb one of the Novas.
    This is the strat I have used every time I have ran HOL. The main key I have found is make sure you have an AOE healer if at all possble...it will make it alot easier. All party members need to have atleast 16-17k buffed health which should not be hard unless you are running with newly turned 80's then you may want a couple healers to help heal.

The tank just needs to plop himself down on Loken's feet and everyone else stack on him, if ranged attackers stand as close as possible while still in shooting rage. No matter the composition of the group as long as you have the appropriate health and average dps (1300-1800) you should drop him in less than 2 mins...i am averaging 1:03 to 1:18 (MM:SS) on every kill. Last night he was a bit more mobile than he usually is but as long as you move as a stack and stay at his fee you should do just fine.
    Last edited by Xenbob; 03-05-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Finally found the strat that makes Loken easy mode. Using the circle at his feet tank him dead center faced back to the throne call it 12 oclock. dps stand at 2,7,and 10 o'clock and healer stands at 5. DO NOT MOVE HIM. tank him in place when he starts casting supernova evryone does an about face and runs away in separate directions. Run back in rinse and repeat. This also zeros out the chain lightning attack based on distance from easch other as your all close enough and makes it easy for people to know where to run. He goes down fast beat his 2 minute timer with top dps doing 2100 and me at 1400 was second.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I did this recently with a healer who had some lag issues so we couldn't stack and run. We also had some players with low HP so standing there and eating it wasn't an option.

We improvised and had the healer/ranged set up shop on the last terrace below Loken. Then I pulled him at the very top of the stairs next to one of the pillars. When he cast Nova I ran to the other pillar and tanked him there.

The healer and ranged never had to move and I only took one nova when Loken was standing in a bad spot (his nova reached to both pillars), but I figured out it out pretty quickly.

The melee dps just ran off on their own *shrug*. I told them to stack on me and not worry about parry, but they knew how to avoid him on their own and being good melee they wanted to stay behind Loken =p.

Been running HOL H with both well geared and not so well geared ppl. And to me its very simple. Just stand and nuke him. Its about 12k dmg from the blast, if ppl are around 16k health this isnt a problem for the healer to get up. you can always pot n such but just nuke is the most solid thing i have encountered. Why? Basicly couse of lag. If someone have lag or just a slow computer they will be hit by the nova anyways and prolly die since the healer is running. E.g easier to just nuke nuke nuke.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhus View Post
    Been running HOL H with both well geared and not so well geared ppl. And to me its very simple. Just stand and nuke him. Its about 12k dmg from the blast, if ppl are around 16k health this isnt a problem for the healer to get up. you can always pot n such but just nuke is the most solid thing i have encountered. Why? Basicly couse of lag. If someone have lag or just a slow computer they will be hit by the nova anyways and prolly die since the healer is running. E.g easier to just nuke nuke nuke.
    While this may in the end be the safest strategy, Lightning Nova can actually hit for up to 14k, and you can get an immediately followed up Arc Lightning for 4.4k, plus Pulsing Shockwave ticks. It's quite possible for any individual party member to eat 19k-20k damage before the first heal lands. (Unless you have a resistance ability, such as Aspect of the Wild or Nature Resistance Totem, available.)

I tank this with a lot of pugs most of the time, and quite often I use a "Tank Stands, Everyone Else Runs" strategy. It's as easy as it sounds, I stand there holding Loken in the center of his little circle, everyone else runs out to avoid the nova. Generally someone winds up getting hit anyway, but it's a lot easier for your healer to prop up one guy than three. And, if you can't eat a 12-15k lightning nova every, what, 20 seconds? then you have no business tanking heroics in the first place.

There is no need to be rude, if the healer cant heal that then maybe they shouldnt doing hc's. I have been doing heroics long enough thank you.

at last I understand Loken...... cleared round to him (including first boss while sizzling for the achievement) but wiped on Loken - eventually the group gave up (apparently cos I couldnt hold his aggro enough - more like they didnt understand the tactics)......

We stumbled through heroic HoL last night for the first time. Due to latency issues, we tried the "suck up nova" strategy. It worked well, got him down on the second attempt, and the "Timely Death" achievement to boot.

During both attempts, we got the combos Roana mentioned above - Lightning Nova for 12-14k followed by Arc Lightning. This wiped the healer and mage both times. The second time the combo came so late that while the tank (me) and a DK was alone for the last bit, we managed to get him down shortly after I ran out of panic buttons and was at about 10% health.

If everybody's latencies are similar and there are few issues with connections, running from lightning nova seems the safest choice to me, still. It only requires coordination of the group, which is good to practice in any case.

This evening I'll do this.
    My idea is to do it with the "Don't Run" tactic.

Could you explain why all has to stack together?
    Is still valid also if I do the encounter with all ranged dps?

Thx in advice (and good job for all the tactics)

Never had luck with the movement method with Loken; always seem to down him with the tank in place method.

As for the 3rd boss, I find I can run down the steps to the landing just before the floor, take a left, and go back up around the outside stairs and by the time I'm at the next set of strairs the ligtening is going back to reform into the boss. I can drop DnD before he even reforms and be back on him. No need to run all the way to the back and leads to less lightening following the squishies..

We had an inexperienced tank on Ionar once. He never ran back after Disperse. We just kept stop-motion kiting Ionar all the way back to Volkhans hide-out.

S

Quote Originally Posted by Roana View Post
    While this may in the end be the safest strategy, Lightning Nova can actually hit for up to 14k, and you can get an immediately followed up Arc Lightning for 4.4k, plus Pulsing Shockwave ticks. It's quite possible for any individual party member to eat 19k-20k damage before the first heal lands. (Unless you have a resistance ability, such as Aspect of the Wild or Nature Resistance Totem, available.)
    While this is true, the bad part about moving is that if someone got lag, or not reacting fast enough they will most likely be hit by the nova and whatever follows. Usualy the healer who is running away from Loken faster then you can say Roadrunner usually doenst have time to top of the one getting hit by the nova before a puls or some other crap hit him, there for leaving him dead.

I have done both tactics but found the "Suck it up and deal with the pain" strat to work best since it leaves little to lag issues more to (Holy crap badluck Karma) with different kinds of effects after eachother. Seen it happen acouple of times. Some poor Mage who was to lazy to iceblock... Or our paladin healer who (for some strange reason) forgot to bubble.. I thought they lived inside them? Oh well.

If you are well enough to run a HC and one of the harder ones then you prolly are enough good to suck it up.

Leaving as little up to the group and trust in the all mighty RGN.

But its all a flavour of gameplay i would guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhus View Post
    While this is true, the bad part about moving is that if someone got lag, or not reacting fast enough they will most likely be hit by the nova and whatever follows. Usualy the healer who is running away from Loken faster then you can say Roadrunner usually doenst have time to top of the one getting hit by the nova before a puls or some other crap hit him, there for leaving him dead.
    Well, I play from overseas with often considerable latency, and can still manage to run out. Eating the Lightning Nova also requires strong AE heals, which limits your choice of healers.

One important item to remember for the last boss is if you have a hunter in your group. Don't underestimate the value of Aspect of the Wild. The lightning damage is nature damage. It may take some convincing to reasure the hunter that the nature resist will do more for the group than flat out DPS on Loken.

The difference may be enough to keep people from getting one shot. Every time I've run with a hunter that will keep Aspect of the Wild up, we 've managed to beat the achievement timer by staying grouped on Loken and burning him down.

Low health after the nova beats no health any day.

As a Holy Paladin, Loken can really suck with people who don't know the fight just because we have only one instant and really no group heals. I wiped on this fight countless times until I tried a different method. What I do is tell everyone to just stack on the tank and not run from the lightning nova (provided they have enough HP to not get one-shotted from full health). Then I stand away from the rest of the group, out of range of the nova, and Beacon myself. I use my holy shock to make sure I'm far enough away (just far enough so that I can't hit Loken with it). This way I can just concentrate on healing everyone through the nova and not worry about myself. I also tell everyone else to pop anything that might help through the nova (i.e. ret pallys bubble). This strategy works very well for Holy pallys, and is actually the only way I've ever been able to heal Loken. Hope this helps anyone having the same trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Norako View Post
    As a Holy Paladin, Loken can really suck with people who don't know the fight just because we have only one instant and really no group heals. I wiped on this fight countless times until I tried a different method. What I do is tell everyone to just stack on the tank and not run from the lightning nova (provided they have enough HP to not get one-shotted from full health). Then I stand away from the rest of the group, out of range of the nova, and Beacon myself. I use my holy shock to make sure I'm far enough away (just far enough so that I can't hit Loken with it). This way I can just concentrate on healing everyone through the nova and not worry about myself. I also tell everyone else to pop anything that might help through the nova (i.e. ret pallys bubble). This strategy works very well for Holy pallys, and is actually the only way I've ever been able to heal Loken. Hope this helps anyone having the same trouble.
    As a holy paladin, just have everyone stack on the tank, including yourself. Glyph of Holy Light will take care of the Holy Nova damage if you land a Holy Light just after the Nova cast finishes. You can use Flash of Light to keep the party up after they got enough hp to survive a few seconds.