+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Having multiple tanking sets in Lich King?

Having multiple tanking sets in Lich King?

In BC I always kept a bunch of sets. A high SBV set, high avoidance set, a high effective health set, etc etc. But now in Lich King, it seems like keeping seperate sets for things is just a waste of time. Seems like the game has been so simplified, that even if I regemmed my sockets with like +16 spirit for lulz, it would not cause a wipe. My guild steamrolled thru all Lich King content in about 3 weeks from release without a full raid group (only had 20-23 ppl for most kills) still wearing T6, so gear never really seemed like much of an issue. Indestructible pots, Enraged Reg, 5 min CD on SW, Last Stand, and use from trinket from Thaddius give help tremendously and allow for so much error for healers. I know Blizz has stated that Ulduar and Icecrown Cathedral will be much harder, but I can't see them being anywhere near Sunwell pre-nerf difficulty since they want to cater to the masses and want more people to see end-game content then in PreBC and BC.

Anyone else feel the same way? A couple things I kept like the SBR trinket from Violet Hold (?) and parry trinket off 25man Sapp just in case I need them one day, but other then that I keep my bags clean with old armor.
    Last edited by Kataztrophe; 12-24-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Wow is now about achivments, not Boss kills :/

Just be as prepared as possible for Uldar. Maybe that will require different sets.

I'm reserving judgement until we get past the WLK equivalent of Karazhan, personally.
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

Isn't Naxx ostensibly Kara for Wrath? Not that I've cleared it yet (perhaps next week though!), but I still have a threat, "boss tanking" and SBV set I carry around. More of the pieces overlap then in TBC, which is a welcome change, but gear still takes up a lot of space in my bags.

I'm on the threshold of being able to tank raids (though I may never get to see raid content), so I keep one or two pieces that I can swap out that drop my defense between 535 and 539 and increase my sta and avoidance for being more optimal when I run heroics.

Though I'm sure that's not what the OP was talking about at all =P

I'm with the poster above, got my "boss" type set, but when on trash/heroics i tend to swap in medallion of the disgraced, inexorable feet and a dps sword from thaddius10. Drops my hp and leaves me at 537ish def, but boosts my trash dmg/threat and puts me well over block cap. Hopefully i'll get some more drops soon to flesh out two very different sets. If the titansteel helm changes go through I'll be using that as a basis for an EH set too.

I feel the same way as the OP. At first I was going to build my standard multiple sets and now I just have two. I 25 man set and a DPS set. I use my DPS set for everything except 25 man runs.

I'll reserve my judgement for the new patches but as Blizzard has stated that they will not be making anything as hard as Sunwell pre-nerf I don't envision the need for multiple sets anymore.

On a related note I feel that min/maxing is really no longer necessary. It's a lot of effort to eek out slightly more avoidance, or health, or TPS/DPS and at the current level of dificulty for the content it's almost not worth it.

Wd be kinda nice tho to have a set with high stam and the spelldmg reducing meta for all these magic fights (not being a dk), some of them dragons hurtz. And a high bv set for trash/heroics is something I've wanted since they changed block, nothing beats contributing as much dps in a heroic as the dpsers, makes it all the faster

I would collect what you can (including a dps tanking set) seeing as blizz really has not released anything more than kara and onyxia in terms of progression relating to BC and vanilla.

We also have yet to see anything that challenged tanks early on like prince did. I would have a high EH set, a high avoidance set, and a max dps tanking set.

I'm still keeping different sets of gear.

While i could probably tank Naxx naked, i'd better be prepared now and don't QQ in Ulduar "Damn, if i just kept those high EH items now i'd not get my face smashed".

And as additional note, block capped set with 1900 bv > Loatheb
    Worlde - Prot Paladin
    Darkworldie - Tank DW Frost DK
    Uord - Prot Warrior
    Huordie - Feral / Resto Druid

+ Reply to Thread