+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you use for healing?

What do you use for healing?

Ok this goes out to all the healers out there.

My old main is a t6 resto shaman that has been benched since 3.0. As a shaman the spec I played the best and enjoyed the best (felt like it contributed the most) was restoration. However upon 3.0's release I realized how much of a pain healing is, from a ui perspective. Prior to 3.0 I had used a clique/xperl combination to get all of my healing done, but it tended to lead to bad pvp reaction times, especially in an arena setting (they were good in pve) and definetly created some tunnel vision (again, noticeable in arena, where I played only casually).

MY question is, how do you heal? Note I do a lot of 5/10/25 man riads, and pvp is definetly a lower concern. But I would like to play my best in both, and I've had trouble creating a ui/hotkey/addon setup that I felt just WORKED with healing (contrarily, tanking now seems to just feel right, and as a result I benched my shaman).
    Last edited by TylBronto; 10-28-2008 at 10:43 AM.

Formerly an xperl user back in classic wow, in TBC, i basically drag out class raid frames or party raid frames and have heals hot keyed to 1-6. I heal like i tank, with every major thing hot keyed

I use xperl for healing. I never really learned to rely on Clique or any other real healing addon. Xperl and decursive for the easy removal of magic and disease on people. I have hot keys 1-7 and rely on those the most. I don't see a slow reaction time unless the brain is being slow in its reaction time.

I use grid and decursive for my healing with my heals hotkeyed... I'll get a screen shot up a little later of my priests UI in a raid. It use to be pretty crazy healing before grid, but now I just watch the big box and occasionally make sure people aren't standing on top of me.

On my Holy Pally I use healbot continued.

I use it for both PVP and PVE and have been using it since I was level 20 (I originally used it to keep track of blessings in 5-mans). I can't say it will work for anyone else, but it is ingrained in my play style.

I use Healbot for casting my large array of heals, yes all 3 of them. I also use the extra healbot click bindings for BOP and BOF. I have tried grid and clique.. but in my opinion they never compared to healbot.

I also use healbot continued, best addon I've used by far.

I do what Lizana does; drag out all of the classes onto my screen. I don't use much in terms of healing oriented addons, just Decursive and Visual Heal (great for me to avoid overhealing as best as I can). I don't do it where I set a hotkey for each person I'm going to heal or anything like that; a lot of the time healing feels pretty intuitive to me, much more so with the benefits paladins have gotten in 3.0

I use Grid + Clique on my Priest, they are very good.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.

I use healbot on my shaman for healing the raid and removing poison/diseases/curses. I I need to heal main tank, I just keep him selected and use my hotkeyed spells. Makes it also to do the start/stopping heals while precasting on maintank.
    I often use this macro.
    /stopcasting
    /cast healing wave
    I let it run for 2 seconds and when tank hasn't lost health I press button again or else I let the heal land.

I'm assuming the OP was referring to addons (so I'm not including beverage preferences).

I use Healbot Continued and mouseover macros to heal. I enjoy using HB because it is simple to use and set up. In addition, It has up to five mouse button spell assignments (and can be combined with Alt+, Ctrl+, and Shift+ clicks) and mouseover macros work with the interface.

I also use HB on all my alts as it is useful for monitoring hp/mana status, monitoring buffs, and removing debuffs. Plus, you can non-healer cast class abilities via the interface (Intervene, for example).

I highly recommend Healbot.

As for my addons, from a restoration druid PoV, I've used Grid for as long as I can remember, and not too long ago I also got Decursive placed just close to it, so I can easily remove curses and poisons. My hotkeys are a joke, though, having placed healing or healing related spells on 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, q, e and f.

I also did a little testing on mouseover-macros, but I found that to be a bit harder raidwise, since that would require me to remember and know the others in the raids character looks and/or positions for each encounter. The healthbars over their heads will only create a mess on the screen, and I found it easier to just add debuffs to the Center Icon on Grid so I would know who needed heals and not.

Heard about HealBot, though. But since I could do the job with Grid I saw no reasons to change.

I played a resto shaman pre 3.0 as well. I used grid, totemus (which no longer works), and just keybound my chainheal to - which i programmed on my mouse to be the thumb button. From there I would just click grid and click my thumb button. Tada...welcome to 25man raiding Had earthshield keybound to my mouse wheel when it was pressed and vent keybound to the second smaller thumb button on my mouse. Only buttons i ever had to use my keyboard for was potions and my oh shit buttons, which most of the time I just clicked them. Grid worked very well for pvp as well as you can set it up to show when earthshield is up etc etc.
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

I use Grid and Clique mostly. It's probably not optimal for PvP, but works very well for PvE stuff and that's my focus. I like to be able to heal people without deselecting the boss - you'd be surprised what information you can pick up from seeing what the mob is doing.

ZOMGBuffs is good, but then... all paladins know that, and its not healing exclusive. It does have a very handy Beacon of Light tracker now though.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

Grid is amazing. Seeing incoming heals, buffs, debuffs, agro, etc etc is invaluable and Grid does not take up much space, allowing better environmental awareness.

I have used XPearl, PitBull, Clique, etc, etc, but with 3.0 all I have been running is DBM, Grid, and Omen. Its all a raider needs. For PvP, I find Grid works well but a bigger unit frame that allows easy evaluation of who to mana burn, purge, shield, etc is prob more helpful.

Healbot + Decursive combo
    Have 9 different spells/functions bound to Left/ Right Click + nothing/shift/Ctrl/Alt
    those are deep in my memory and automatic whichever i want to cast
    as well as you can set it up to alert you (colorwise) which of your targets is missing which buffs, who's got/pulled aggro (significantly reducing reaction time) /incoming heals etc

that leaves hotbar for pots/fiend/ power infusion /fade etc

I've never seen the appeal of Grid. Looks so ugly to me. I use AGUF, decursive, and some form of HoT timer for my dr00d. 1-6 R and F are bound to healing spells. 2-6 are for various healing spells, R is a hover button, F as an oh shit button, and 1 is a focus target spell which is usually on the tank (sometimes switched with ToT macro for random damage encounters like Shade of Aran). I also use Aloft which does an excellent job of showing peoples health bars over their heads around me to give me an idea of where on the battlefield the damage is.

Grid + spells hotkeyed strategically for my best use pattern.

Has worked well since the major UI change that disabled logic. (When logic was available I used a very different setup but that's long gone of course.)

Heal bot + Spellreminder

Heal bot makes it an easy set of key+click combos and doesn't burdon my ability to stay as mobile as I can as a paly.

I might drop spell reminder to get rid of some clutter but it is nice to have to remind you bacon of light is about to drop. Nothing worse then healing some dps after he rips agg thinking you are healing the tank as well, only to find Bacon has timed out and he is probably on the floor.

I'm currently not using any UI or healing addons except Visual Heal to see if I'm going to way overheal or etc (it also shows other healer's healing incomming on that target if they have it too). Other than that I stopped using xperl because it was locking WoW up, I'll try it again soon probably. I just drag raid groups into screen from the raid interface.
    I have everything I ever use hotkeyed. 1-0 on num row, 1-9 on number pad, F1-F12 for DMG and situational spells. E is mass dispell, G is Guardian Spirit (ran out of other hot keys)

Also I hit shift+v to display firendly health bars so I can watch the action in front of me rather than staring at side bars all the time.
    hotkeys =win, clicking takes too long imo.

I am using Grid and mouseover macros myself. (e.g., /cast [target=mouseover] Greater Heal).

Quote Originally Posted by Petninja View Post
    I've never seen the appeal of Grid. Looks so ugly to me.
    It's not about Grid being pretty, it's about Grid being functional. Properly configured, there are two major advantages:

(1) Making good use of Fitts's Law. The idea is to make target acquisition (of an arbitrary group/raid member) via the mouse as fast and reliably as possible.
    (2) Cutting down on information clutter and presenting only the information that you need in an easy to digest form. The human brain can only process so much data at once. When healing, I don't really need to know whether the tank has Blessing of Might or how much energy the rogue has at any given time. That's all noise.

+ Reply to Thread