+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: WoW Account Security - How not to get hacked.

6$ you say i have spent way to much time to lose it whats $6 i just wont have KFC for dinner tonight... cheers for the heads up guys !

Or if you have a cellphone made in the past couple of years there is a good chance you can get the program on it, and not need to buy the token from blizzard...

Great thread and every better news blizz had an Authenticator in stock.I'm gonna make some changes. I've been doing the copy paste method. It worked as far as I know.

updated the OP to include a link to Panda Cloud Antivirus, a nice free AV.

Source: Bodasafa
    I use a password protection program that requires a complex password to log into to get my WoW password. I then copy that password to my clip board. Then shift insert it into the log in field. In 10 seconds the clip board is wiped clean. All a key logger would get is "shift insert" or something totally worthless.

Just run WoW in windowed mode, pull up the onscreen keyboard (found in accessibility tab in Windows), and click in your password...no key strokes for loggers to steal

Also, if Blizzard would just implement an onscreen keyboard for a pin number to have bank access (like Runescape...don't hate) then hackers would only get bag items...while your bank items remain more secure.

Can anyone link to the copy-paste method please? I've heard it referenced a lot but not sure how to do it securely (I don't really want my password in a text file on my computer somewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by chubtohd View Post
    Just run WoW in windowed mode, pull up the onscreen keyboard (found in accessibility tab in Windows), and click in your password...no key strokes for loggers to steal

Also, if Blizzard would just implement an onscreen keyboard for a pin number to have bank access (like Runescape...don't hate) then hackers would only get bag items...while your bank items remain more secure.
    I know this is WAY late in response to your post, but (last time I looked into it at least) the onscreen keyboards "simulate keystrokes" meaning its works exactly the same as if you type it in, and you can in fact be keylogged that way. Some onscreen keyboards may function differently so your mileage may vary, but you may want to look into it at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
    Can anyone link to the copy-paste method please? I've heard it referenced a lot but not sure how to do it securely (I don't really want my password in a text file on my computer somewhere).
    Thats basically how it works. You keep it saved in a text file on your comp and then open that and copy paste.

If you are REALLY against that, you could always set your password to be a word from a website that never changes, and just go to that website everytime you want to log onto wow and copy and paste from there. For example google.com has links at the top of the page for "Web Images Video Maps News Shopping Gmail" You could set your warcraft password to be "Shopping" and then everytime you wanted to log into warcraft, you would go to google.com and copy "Shopping" and then paste that into the login screen for warcraft. Obviously you wouldn't use something that simple, but hopefully you get my point.

Arianne, what some people do is if you go to your start menu -> programs->accessories->System Tools->Character Map, you can double click the letters you want in your password, then copy/paste it into wow.

Another way is to open up a new text file everytime you want to log in, just type a scrambled garbled text like:

djfklad joi34u90rwioeuroqweiroierqutyidhnbzmcvnzm,xnckvapq werjskdfa[poquiweprweporipowetuieortyuifdhglkjdnm,xcn

making sure you hit every button you'd need and then some, then going through that line and picking it apart like...

jump39

I just created that by highlighting and copy/pasting 1 letter at a time into the line. Keyloggers shouldn't (as far as I know unless there's some REALLY sophisticated stuff floating around nowadays) be able to pick that up, all they'll see is show upt is CTRLC, CTRL V, CTRL C, CTRL V...

basically useless to them.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    I use a password protection program that requires a complex password to log into to get my WoW password. I then copy that password to my clip board. Then shift insert it into the log in field. In 10 seconds the clip board is wiped clean. All a key logger would get is "shift insert" or something totally worthless.

On top of that I have the Blizzard Authenticator, Avast Anti-Virus, and Windows Defender.

I have had zero security issues with this set up and I doubt I ever will. I highly recommend Avast for a anti-virus. It allows you to do a pre-boot scan of your PC. Meaning it shuts down your PC then just before windows loads it scans your system while its still in DOS mode. This prevents nasty viruses from jumping around once they have been found to a file you have already scanned, or worse getting into your recovery drive.
    I don't remember if you ever said this or not - but what's the name of the password protection program? Or what are some good ones you could recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Mhoram View Post
    I don't remember if you ever said this or not - but what's the name of the password protection program? Or what are some good ones you could recommend?
    http://keepass.info/

1) Start WoW, At the Log In Screen type in your Account Name, then Tab out.
    2) Open the Password Program and get to where you have your WoW Password stored.
    3) Right click the password to copy to your clip board (it will be cleared in 10 sec).
    4) Tab into the Wow Log In Screen and press Shift and Insert at the same time to enter the Password, then hit enter.
    5) Use your Blizzard Authenticator.This will be your best guard and best investment.
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 01-26-2010 at 12:57 AM.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Updated this with a very important update tonight.

I consider the authenticator almost mandatory. Even following everything laid out in this guide, your chance are still good of getting hit. I have helped people recently who followed this advice, got hacked and we were not able to find any traces of malware on their systems. This means that A) it was stuff that software will not detect or B) their details were stolen some other way.

The biggest bang for your buck is the Authenticator, without having that, your still wide open to attack. The Authenticator is 100% worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    http://keepass.info/

1) Start WoW, At the Log In Screen type in your Account Name, then Tab out.
    2) Open the Password Program and get to where you have your WoW Password stored.
    3) Right click the password to copy to your clip board (it will be cleared in 10 sec).
    4) Tab into the Wow Log In Screen and press Shift and Insert at the same time to enter the Password, then hit enter.
    5) Use your Blizzard Authenticator.This will be your best guard and best investment.
    Most programs that are going to steal information and send it somewhere keep a running tab on everything copied to the clipboard and/or copy/pasted regardless of where you store your secure information (my neighbor uses a program to do this on his 16 year old daughters computer). This will protect you from keyloggers but not from anything more advanced. I run AVG, SpywareBlaster, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes and I'm 99.5% sure my system is secure. I still use an authenticator, however.

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

Hello, first post! ;D
    I saw this topic and thought I might add a little something.
    If this has been posted before my apologies.

There is a program called KeyScrambler.
    "KeyScrambler encrypts your keystrokes deep in the kernel, as they enter the computer.

It then decrypts the keystrokes in the destination application, so you see exactly the keys you've typed.

Whatever keylogger might be waiting along the crucial path in the operating system has only the encrypted keys - "scrambled" and indecipherable - to record."

The program can be found here: http://www.qfxsoftware.com/index.html
    It has many good reviews and is useful to prevent a hacker stealing your account.
    If it sounds like I'm trying to promote this product I am not.
    I'm I don't have the program myself because the only things I have ever downloaded and possibly ever will are; World of Warcraft, Curse.com addons, Google Chrome, Ventrilo, and MSN.

Better than this program a good Anti-Virus is very much needed. I recommend using ESET NOD32. Very high detection rates and not many false positives. Link to ESET: http://www.eset.com/

Lastly, a Firewall is just as important as an "AV". I would recommend using COMODO Internet Security as it monitors traffic flow and applications requesting access to another. It can be a bit annoying depending on your settings but it is all for the better and can be easily changed anyway. COMODO is free a free firewall. Link to COMODO: http://www.comodo.com/

P.S: Cracks can easily be found for ESET and KeyScrambler, I will not release them as I'm not trying to openly break their TOS.

I hope this post helps. Have fun, and stay virus/malware clean!

Of course, now that Blizzard is going to show your whole name every time you post on their forums, who cares? Might as well let our accounts get hacked now.

That's pretty silly, your real name is only shown if you give it out. You have to give someone your e-mail or you have to post on the forums. Neither of which are required to play their games.

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    its just your name, not like your SQ/SA, and all the other important info is posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

My name is up on the Tankspot forums. Please feel free to use it in a way that somehow compromises me. I promise you won't be able to anyways.

Just a reminder, nasty PDF exploit in the wild, don't be clicking on any PDF's you are not sure about for a while.

Posted this on my guild forum and thought I would share. Apologies if in wrong forum or already discussed. :

Just a heads up incase anyone hasn't seen this (I hadn't heard of this). Was searching for armoury link in Google to check something and clicked the first link which took me to a website looking like armoury, but when I searched for my char it asked me to log-in (with the usual looking log in screen). I immediately thought something was up as you don't normally log in to search, checked the link at the top and it is not the correct address, just a similar one!

Anyway, you can't be too careful. Never give out your details without re-assuring yourself it is safe to do so.

(p.s. excuse the print screen instruction tab, I admit I'm a nub )

Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.

+ Reply to Thread