+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The true hit cap.

The true hit cap.

Ok I read somewhere that for warrior tanks the hit cap is 295 rating. After doing a month worth of raiding in 10 man naxx, I believe that in fact the cap is closer to 200 rating.

Heres why.

My off tank (a warrior also) was running recount for all our fights and noticed a trend. In a 3 hour run of roughly 2 wings a night both of us had 2 to 3 misses. Only 1 each night was a melee attack , the rest were thunderclap resists/misses.

Now heres the kicker. I have 188 hit rating and he has 190. With that low amount of misses I have to conclude that the hit cap for warriors is closer to if not 200 rating not 295.

Anyone else seeing similar results?
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

This discussion has been going around for a while. There are some things that could account for that though, there are buffs to your hit chance. In order to be sure you'd need to fill in what the rest of the raid group was, race and class/spec.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

The hit cap is 8% (not 9%) and possibly there is a Dranae in your party? If so you only need a bit over 200 to get 7% hit which is almost at the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by loquatious View Post
    The hit cap is 8% (not 9%) and possibly there is a Dranae in your party? If so you only need a bit over 200 to get 7% hit which is almost at the cap.
    When did it become 8%? Or are you saying it is 8% if you have a dranae in your party?

There are threads on EJ which are exploring the possibility of the hit cap being reduced to 8% when the change was made so that casters could eliminate their last 1% of miss which they were not formerly able to overcome. Most testing has pointed towards the 1h/2h/melee special hit cap being 8% now.

Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    people don't know how to keep it in their pants for a little bit before exploding all over my face.

Ahh ok. The previous post made it sound like it was hard fact. That's neat though if they did lower it. I will keep an eye on that.

Ill do some more investigating on our next run to double check the data. I believe only 1 run we had a dranei shammy. I understand they provide a 1% boost to hit. However even without one the misses in other runs were practically non-existant.

Considering without substantial end game gear or sacrafice of important stats the hit cap was unobtainable in BC, Im quite happy with what im seeing right now.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Most testing has pointed towards the 1h/2h/melee special hit cap being 8% now.

this

having done my own testing on target dummies, out of almost 20K swings (5000 swings each at 4 different values for hit) i never saw a miss above 8%

Do you also share the same Expertise value?

Reading through the EJ thread, it doesn't appear very conclusive. There are people in there with over 8% hit getting misses:

I'm still not sure. I tried to go down to 8,17% hit to test on the IF Boss dummy and after 3 hits I got a miss. However at 9% I've conducted over an hour of specials on the dummy without a single miss.
    Nothing in there very conclusive yet. Even at the end, they were entertaining the fact that haste might be reducing the hit cap for them. I think there needs to be some more testing probably.

I am still a little confused by all the new numbers that people are showing, it would be nice to see some type of confirmation on the true hit cap.
    Feral Druid
    Best For Blu-Ray High Definition - www.hdmoviesource.com

Based on my own personal results I believe the hit cap to be closer to 8%. At this time Im calling EJ's (elitest jerks) results speculation.

With 188 hit rating im having roughly 3 misses in Naxx 10 man per night in a 3 hour stretch without a dranei , and that's way less than I was getting in BC 25 mans, so Im happy for now.

As for expertise, reaching the parry cap and still maintaining a solid MT set was hard in BC unless you were in Sunwell gear. It appears with the projected numbers that the parry cap is going to be way out there again. I believe the parry cap is really what makes expertise shine. It negates those horrible parry gibs that wipe a raid.

The dodge portion I consider threat. Yes the dodge cap was lower and more attainable in BC. With the projected numbers for Wrath it looks like the dodge cap will be attainable again with minimal sacrifice. But if dont reach it just yet, Im not all that concerned. Because threat right now is not an issue whatsoever.

Realistically this early on in the expansion, I'm taking upgrades as I see them, to overall improve with armor, stam, and dodge in mind first and foremost. Epics with other useful stats like expertise and hit are getting tossed in the bank until a later date when more is known about actual confirmed caps.

This is a quote from a pally MT in our guild that runs another Naxx 10 man run.

"I did some number crunching of my own the last successful Naxx clear I did run, and my conclusion was the same as his. With a Draenei in the party, my miss rate + hit rate = ~7%, with a Draenei in the party. Fairly sure that 8% hit is the number to shoot for for single weilders, 7% if you're in group with a Draenei. Dodge cap is the same, 6.5%. Screw the parry cap, its way too high to gem or gear for without sacrificing too much else."

+ Reply to Thread